SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

The UoA says 1 for Moly. LiquidMoly per the manufacturer claims it contains MoS2, hence the name. A reading of 1 is practically non existent.
Nothing says it contains moly:

Modern premium-class fuel-efficient engine oil, which especially has been developed for the year-round use in Asian and American vehicles. The combination of unconventional base oils using synthetic technology together with the latest additive technology guarantees a motor oil that provides exceptional protection against wear, reduces oil and fuel consumption and keeps the engine clean while ensuring fast oil penetration of the engine.

Nothing says it contains moly:

Modern premium-class fuel-efficient engine oil, which especially has been developed for the year-round use in Asian and American vehicles. The combination of unconventional base oils using synthetic technology together with the latest additive technology guarantees a motor oil that provides exceptional protection against wear, reduces oil and fuel consumption and keeps the engine clean while ensuring fast oil penetration of the engine.
I stand corrected! I should’ve looked for the specific product used.

Here's my latest. After I did all the work with the valve cover and OCV gaskets, plus the transmission drain/fill and re-sealing the pan, I was about 1/2 quart low and we were about to go on a road trip. So I decided to go ahead and change the oil at ~6,200 miles. I did find the OCV itself leaking above the valve cover, so I need to replace that. But hopefully I have at least reduced some of the oil loss I was seeing. Still looking good so far at ~113,000 miles.

Capture.JPG

Here's my latest. After I did all the work with the valve cover and OCV gaskets, plus the transmission drain/fill and re-sealing the pan, I was about 1/2 quart low and we were about to go on a road trip. So I decided to go ahead and change the oil at ~6,200 miles. I did find the OCV itself leaking above the valve cover, so I need to replace that. But hopefully I have at least reduced some of the oil loss I was seeing. Still looking good so far at ~113,000 miles.

View attachment 295612
I bet you’re using Mazda moly oil, aren’t you? (y)

Thats what I have found from another forum on new oil uoa.
0w20 Mazda Moly

viscosity at 40c - 35.852.
ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 0
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 664
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 266
SILICON 6
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 2318
MAGNESIUM 18
PHOSPHORUS 732
ZINC 842
BARIUM 0
INSOLUBLES 0
WATER 0
FLASHPOINT ºF 430
SUS VIS 210ºF 53.6
cSt @ 100ºF 8.37

The test was done long time ago. I can only guess they either bumped up a bit the moly or there is slight variation in batches.
On my past 4x different tests Moly is from 590 to 700 :) Notice that I dont even drive that much between oil changes. Go figure.

Nevertheless the oils with so much Moly (600+) that I know are the Mazda oem and Toyota oem 0w20.

Attachments

• 20210224_205018.jpg
    20210224_205018.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
My latest 2.2 diesel uoa. 22.5k mile service. Viscosity low again, 2% fuel, no oil level increase though.

Next service (30k mi) is the last of the free 2yr / 30k service. I'll be changing oil at 5k mi and see how the viscosity looks after the next service.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210311-215458~2.png
    Screenshot_20210311-215458~2.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 151
My latest 2.2 diesel uoa. 22.5k mile service. Viscosity low again, 2% fuel, no oil level increase though.

Next service (30k mi) is the last of the free 2yr / 30k service. I'll be changing oil at 5k mi and see how the viscosity looks after the next service.
Looks like this Idemitsu made Mazda SkyActiv-D SAE 0W-30 Diesel Engine Oil is consistently having 400 ~ 430 molybdenum whereas Mazds moly 0W-20 oil is 600 ~ 700. I assume you eventually will buy Mazda diesel 0W-30 oil for your 2.2L diesel when Mazda’s free oil change runs out, I was curious about the price of the oil. If the approximate oil quantity in owner’s manual for oil change is correct, you need at least 5.4 quarts for each oil change. And:

51C47058-8261-4C9B-8D40-CE66A6A19059.png

753754EA-1715-4A4A-87BE-8901F766D1D5.png

2FEA94A9-05AE-4F04-BF93-4CFEF4EE1CB7.jpeg

Last edited:
@yrwei52 yep ... I've already bought a case of Mazda Oil (it was somewhere in the $6-$7/QT range) and a case of Mobil ESP 0w30 that was slightly higher.

You had some silver in the oil? I wonder what part of the diesel engine is made out of silver.

Bearings usually have a coating layer. The diesel components are usually quite different than the petrol ones.

I still think based on the uoas so far that this engine needs more frequent oil changes. 5000 miles or less.
It needs more than 2% for diesel in oil so that it shows on the dipstick.

Last edited:
I still think based on the uoas so far that this engine needs more frequent oil changes. 5000 miles or less.

The TBN is good @ 7.5k but I don't like that the viscosity is low. I agree this will be better off with 5k mile intervals.

You had some silver in the oil? I wonder what part of the diesel engine is made out of silver.
Odd as it sounds, silver is used in some high-performance engine bearings. I don’t know if Mazda does this or not, but that would be once source of metallic silver. Subaru owners see the same thing.

I did my oil analysis at 73K and apparently there's a coolant leak. I brought my vehicle to a mechanic 2 months ago and he did a pressure test but did not find any sources of a leak so I am not sure. I did put some UV dye in the coolant reservoir to see if the funny smell coming from my heater was due to a heater core leak but there wasn't anything noticeable.
1618972777301.png

There was another report few months back for coolant in the oil and a separate forum thread but no replies after February on the subject.
The general advice was to first do 2nd test at a different lab. Small quantity of oil sample can be taken out through the dipstick tube. i.e from the new oil at present without the need to change it again.

Back