20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

Below about 20*F, it is as though it does not generate boost. It is as though you removed the turbo. I mean this literally, and without nuance.

Thanks. When it gets cold enough, I'll test for this issue.

Does the power loss issue disappear once the engine has reached operating temps?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but Consumer Reports' recent issue listed the most to least reliable vehicle manufacturers of all 26 brands sold in the US. Personally, I would never get an extended warranty for any of the top placers. Take a look.
Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars? - Consumer Reports
I'm at 62,4xx miles. My warranty cost $2400. I have this far used it to cover $1100ish in repairs, as well as had the option of a loaner car not at my expense, during the several days it took for the dealership to obtain the parts. I'm pretty sure I'll get the other $1300 worth out of it in the next 87,6xx miles.

I'm at 62,4xx miles. My warranty cost $2400. I have this far used it to cover $1100ish in repairs, as well as had the option of a loaner car not at my expense, during the several days it took for the dealership to obtain the parts. I'm pretty sure I'll get the other $1300 worth out of it in the next 87,6xx miles.
Can you break out what cost the warranty company ~$1,100?

If it does pay off, you're probably in the minority of Mazda owners who get their money back on an extended warranty. Now if you invested that money in bitcoins or even the Dow Jones Industrial Average, you'd be far wealthier.

Can you break out what cost the warranty company ~$1,100?
Yes, the folding power mirrors break every 20-25K miles like clockwork. Each one costs $550ish in labor and parts for the dealer to repair. I have now killed a total of 4 of these (2 sets), as I am at 62K miles. I'm going to get wayyyy more than that warranty cost me in repairs by 150K miles. The first set was covered under OEM 3/36, hence only $1100 on the warranty so far. I'm 30% through the term, and 45% through the cost, already, and so so so many more parts to break in the next 90K miles nearly.

If it does pay off, you're probably in the minority of Mazda owners who get their money back on an extended warranty. Now if you invested that money in bitcoins or even the Dow Jones Industrial Average, you'd be far wealthier.
I financed it in with the loan, so not really. But by your logic, if instead of a CX5, I'd just bought a $5000 high mileage car, and had invested the other $25K into BTC-USD 1 year ago, I'd be able to buy a new X5 M50i, so we really can keep fantasizing, lol!

Yes, the folding power mirrors break every 20-25K miles like clockwork. Each one costs $550ish in labor and parts for the dealer to repair. I have now killed a total of 4 of these (2 sets), as I am at 62K miles. I'm going to get wayyyy more than that warranty cost me in repairs by 150K miles. The first set was covered under OEM 3/36, hence only $1100 on the warranty so far. I'm 30% through the term, and 45% through the cost, already, and so so so many more parts to break in the next 90K miles nearly.
Oh, just the mirrors. Why do you think miles has something to do with their failure? It would seem logical that it would have more to do with how many times they're cycled, than how many miles they've seen.

While, I've seen others with mirror issues, it seems hit-or-miss. Others have just turned the feature off and forgot about it. Do you think their function was worth the $2k+ 'investment' in a warranty?

Oh, just the mirrors. Why do you think miles has something to do with their failure? It would seem logical that it would have more to do with how many times they're cycled, than how many miles they've seen.

While, I've seen others with mirror issues, it seems hit-or-miss. Others have just turned the feature off and forgot about it. Do you think their function was worth the $2k+ 'investment' in a warranty?
Some cars have easy access auto seat and steering wheel movement when the driver's door is opened. I always turn this off since buying new motors is most likely not inexpensive. I would probably do the same if my car came with auto folding side view mirrors, especially if they cost that much.

My commute does not alter. I could express it in folding cycles, but it is just easier to express it in miles. Besides, that's how a warranty works. Time/miles. Not foldy folds.

Seems like with the number of miles you put on your car in the time you've owned it, an extended warranty would be one case where it makes sense.

With regard to some previous posts that have no been cleaned up - A few of you have made your opinions known regarding warranties in this thread and a few others. It is clear that none of you are going to change each other's minds. I suggest that you ignore each other's posts on this topic from now on if you can't come to an agreement.

Last edited:
On no, not this again.
I've explained this to you before, but you still aren't getting it.

The warranty cost you MORE than $2400, because you financed it in with your loan.
You'd need to factor in your loan terms, but the warranty is probably costing you closer to $2800.

Now instead of buying that loan, you could have saved/invested that $2800.
You can easily figure out how much that would grow to had you put it in a CD, high yield savings, or a broad index fund.

It sounds like you're really hoping for more broken folding mirror gears in order to justify this warranty. But you'll need even more repairs than you stated, since you aren't taking into account the FULL costs of your warranty.
Well, by 106K miles my last CX5 needed a new fuel pump, new FPR, new intake manifold gasket...I'm pretty sure this tech-filled, turbocharged model will exceed even the $2800 you quote, by 150K miles.

Have you priced transmissions for these things? What about those articulating LED headlights? The BSM system? Man, these things are full of EXPENSIVE stuff to break.

Sure, I hope it does NOT, but I am concerned that it WILL.

A few of you have made your opinions known regarding warranties in this thread and a few others. It is clear that none of you are going to change each other's minds. I suggest that you ignore each other's posts on this topic from now on if you can't come to an agreement.
Correct, and even when/if I surpass the $2800, he will hit me with "Well you're just super unlucky/rare/whatever, it was still a bad purchase!"

Okay, so...changing direction. I took my CX5 through some fast moving water. I saw a 05 model looking Pilot go through it and the water was ALMOST at the underside of it. It has 8" of clearance while the 2019 GTR CX5 has 7.5. I saw air under the pilot the whole way. Barely. So I went. It did 100% fine, however, I remember the debacle that was my 2015 when I crossed water. The rear diff had a "breather cap" in the form of a solid mechanical 1 way valve that operated very VERY primitively. It sucked water in and torpedoed the diff. $2800 (Thanks, Mazda, again, for picking up the tab...why I bought another).

Anyway, the 2019 GT-R diff is 100% sealed and has a breather tube on top as the good lort intended, instead of a rattily "valve cap" type apparatus. The diff fluid was fine, btw, $119 to change it so whatever. Peace of mind. THe diff and transfer case are "service only if submerged" per the manual. Neither were, I'm just paranoid. Anyway, bravo Mazda for fixing a bad design from the Gen 1.

The longer I own this car, the more I drive it, the more it really grows on me. Killing a 2015 Camaro RS from a roll was kindof a highlight too, I might add, lol! It's an actual semi-performance option in a sea of mediocre appliances.

Do you understand that warranty companies would all be out of business if what you claim were true? How could they possibly stay in business if this were the case?
Not really. Most people buy these warranties and then trade the car before the factory warranty is even up. 100% profit for the company. Some people, like me, actually drive the car. We are rare, statistically, and we get out money more often than not. Go look at "Edmunds True Cost to Own" and look under "repairs". The statistical evidence is absolutely right there. The CX9 is listed as costing $1800/5 years. Remember, this is calculated off of 15K/year. I drive twice that. My warranty is 10 years. 150K miles. That Edmunds deal only marches out to an equivalent of 75K miles. I can promise the next 75K miles won't cost less than the first, statistically, on repairs, lol.

*Yes this is a CX9, they do not have turbo CX5 data, yet. Regular CX5 data is similar though.

I do not know how to be more precise with you. Based on the best data we have, yes, I will get my money and then some out of the warranty I purchased. If you refuse this, I would love to see you "show your work" with more than "sample of 1" type data, as I have done for you above. I don't think this is too much to ask. Money is math. Make it work, or it doesn't work. Show me like I showed you.

...Go look at "Edmunds True Cost to Own" and look under "repairs". The statistical evidence is absolutely right there. The CX9 is listed as costing $1800/5 years. ...

I don't put much faith in that chart. What repairs would cost $2,300 on a vehicle still under factory warranty? Our CX-5 is about 27 months old and has cost us $0 in repairs. It actually hasn't even been back to the dealer.

Back