All weather mats question

I went with WeatherTech mats and received them today. They were the only ones so far that had a "6 seat" option for the CX-9. ~~~

They are thinner than I expected but the material is rugged and looks nice. The black color looks good and matches the interior. ~~~

I was disappointed that the hump in the 2nd row wasn't covered

Maxpider has a model for 6 seaters. ( L1MZ07401509 = 6 seater black. @ https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com )

I have Weathertechs in my highlander. I'm not too fund of them. It's nice enough, but it's just a sheet of soft molded plastic. Maxpider seems to be bit more engineered by having 3 distinctive layers.

I'm ordering them as I speak for my Touring (Prem package w/ captain seats). I'll report back when I get 'em

Maxpider has a model for 6 seaters. ( L1MZ07401509 = 6 seater black. @ https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com )

I have Weathertechs in my highlander. I'm not too fund of them. It's nice enough, but it's just a sheet of soft molded plastic. Maxpider seems to be bit more engineered by having 3 distinctive layers.

I'm ordering them as I speak for my Touring (Prem package w/ captain seats). I'll report back when I get 'em

I saw they had a “6 seater option” but the Maxpider site says “no results” for 2021 models. I looked at options for a 2020 and the only option was for a 6 seater. That didn’t seem right to me. You would think that if anything a 7 seater / 2nd row bench option would be the only option available. This made me question what they were actually offering. I’ll be curious to see what your set looks like when it comes in!

If you go to the url I pasted. They actually have a six seater model for 2021.

Now the weird thing is...If you go to the manufacturer website, they don't have it for 2021s.

Okay I"m back. I have received and installed the Maxpider's for 6 passenger. ( L1MZ07401509 = 6 seater black. @ https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com ) on my '21 cx9 touring prem package with captain seats.

Bad news !
There is no cut out for the cup holder that extends out towards the back into the 2nd row from the 1st row center console.

Good news.
-1st and 3rd row fits perfect.
-The Maxpiders are a lot better then Weathertechs. They fit and looks much better.
-I got 20$ back credited for their web site showing the incorrect compatibility
-Looks like I can cut the portion out of the floor mat and neatly tuck it in under the cup holders.

On a side note, I recommend https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com. They seem to be an up right business to deal with. The Customer service and his manager was friendly and reasonable. Their policies seems to reflect an honest business.

I'm going to customize the maxpider 2nd row and will be back with photos. (today'ish, unless if it rains)

Pics.

I modded the 2nd row mat. I screwed up.

I tried to make it so that the part of mat going up the mound can tuck in under the plastic of the cup holders. For what ever reason, I F'ed up and cut it too short. (Actually I know why. I freaking measured with the OEM mat in place. Argh..)

There is enough give in the cup holder plastics to tuck this under at least on the side. So I recommend that you measure carefully and do so. If I didn't F this up, it would have come up really nice. In my case, it closely matches the plastic of the cup holder and it looks OK.

I would recommend that everyone buy this model and modd it if you are not satisfied with the Weathertech or what ever.

OH one more thing. The space between the 2nd row captain seat is not covered by this mat. So I used the OEM mat there. You can see the end of that mat in the first pic.

Attachments

• modded mat.jpg
    modded mat.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 343
  • all mats.jpg
    all mats.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 335
@kennnn - Thanks for following up. Appreciate the pics. The trimming doesn’t look bad at all. I like that the 3rd row covers the side sills and the overall look/texture of the Maxpiders better but the absence of the center mat on the 2nd row would be a deal breaker for me. The kids climb thru the center so I would rather have the coverage there. Looks good otherwise.

Pics.

I modded the 2nd row mat. I screwed up.

I tried to make it so that the part of mat going up the mound can tuck in under the plastic of the cup holders. For what ever reason, I F'ed up and cut it too short. (Actually I know why. I freaking measured with the OEM mat in place. Argh..)

There is enough give in the cup holder plastics to tuck this under at least on the side. So I recommend that you measure carefully and do so. If I didn't F this up, it would have come up really nice. In my case, it closely matches the plastic of the cup holder and it looks OK.

I would recommend that everyone buy this model and modd it if you are not satisfied with the Weathertech or what ever.

OH one more thing. The space between the 2nd row captain seat is not covered by this mat. So I used the OEM mat there. You can see the end of that mat in the first pic.
How easily did the mat cut? I'm really torn on which all-weather mats to get right now for my Captains chair equipped CX-9. I would really rather have all weather coverage between the second row seats though.

Mazdashop sent me these images of the Canadian Premium floor liners today which look pretty good. They are pricey compared to the Maxpider though.

cx-9-premium.png
cx-9-premium2.png

Mazdashop sent me these images of the Canadian Premium floor liners today which look pretty good. They are pricey compared to the Maxpider though.

View attachment 234497View attachment 234498

Thanks for sharing these images... I hadn't seen the Canadian floor mats until now. They look intriguing.

Does anyone know what the material on these are? They don't quite look like rubber, but something similar to the Maxspider. I would really like something that is hardy like rubber and that I can just hose down. I am apprehensive about the Maxspider, and these Canadian OEM mats, because they appear to not be quite as substantial as the US OEM rubber version. These almost look like a waterproof fabric that won't like getting hit with a strong stream of water.

Would appreciate any thoughts or insight to those familiar with the Maxspider or Canadian OEM.

Thanks for sharing these images... I hadn't seen the Canadian floor mats until now. They look intriguing.

Does anyone know what the material on these are? They don't quite look like rubber, but something similar to the Maxspider. I would really like something that is hardy like rubber and that I can just hose down. I am apprehensive about the Maxspider, and these Canadian OEM mats, because they appear to not be quite as substantial as the US OEM rubber version. These almost look like a waterproof fabric that won't like getting hit with a strong stream of water.

Would appreciate any thoughts or insight to those familiar with the Maxspider or Canadian OEM.
My plan is to pick these up this Saturday so I’ll post an update after that. I’ve owned the own liners for the CX-5 from 2014 and they were pretty good.

My brother got Tuxmats for his RDX and they’re really nice. I wish they made mats for the captains chair equipped CX-9.

How easily did the mat cut? I'm really torn on which all-weather mats to get right now for my Captains chair equipped CX-9. I would really rather have all weather coverage between the second row seats though.
They cut pretty easy with heavy scissors. But it’s heavy enough that you wont be able to cut with paper scissors.
I would recommend using a razor of some sort. Its really hard to cut straight through them with scissors.

btw. The new mazda mat that was shared looks like rebranded maxpider matts. The material is exactly the same. But it has the logos that makes it look busy.

kniwing what i know, i would buy the maxpiders again.

My plan is to pick these up this Saturday so I’ll post an update after that. I’ve owned the own liners for the CX-5 from 2014 and they were pretty good.

My brother got Tuxmats for his RDX and they’re really nice. I wish they made mats for the captains chair equipped CX-9.

Thanks for the tip about the Tuxmats.

I did some research and confirmed that the OEM Canadian mats are made by Maxspider. They are the same mat with different (Mazda) branding. I have read mixed reviews on the Maxspiders; most negative reviews reference durability and premature wear. This is why I was leaning towards the US OEM rubber mats.

I take a look at Tuxmat after I saw your mention and they seem to be very well-reviewed. They appear to be not a rubber or hard plastic, but closer to the Maxspider that are something in between. The Tuxmats almost seem to be a softer waterproof fabric that are (hopefully) easy to vacuum and wipe clean.

I went ahead and ordered a set of the Tuxmats - as I do not have the captains chairs on my '20.

I live in Florida, so I just want something that'll fight rainy days and beach days, and the Tuxmats seem to have really good coverage for the inevitable sand. I'll report back my findings.

I did some research and confirmed that the OEM Canadian mats are made by Maxspider. They are the same mat with different (Mazda) branding. I have read mixed reviews on the Maxspiders; most negative reviews reference durability and premature wear. This is why I was leaning towards the US OEM rubber mats.

The super weird thing is that I can't find Maxspider brand mats that have the same coverage as the Mazda OEM ones. I'd rather skip the OEM premium but feel like my hands are tied as we're already well into a pretty wet winter up here.

The super weird thing is that I can't find Maxspider brand mats that have the same coverage as the Mazda OEM ones. I'd rather skip the OEM premium but feel like my hands are tied as we're already well into a pretty wet winter up here.

Yeah, it's odd they would have changed the manufacturing tooling/mold for the OEM mats, and not just used their existing version. Maybe that was part of the deal - differentiation.

I take a look at Tuxmat after I saw your mention and they seem to be very well-reviewed. They appear to be not a rubber or hard plastic, but closer to the Maxspider that are something in between. The Tuxmats almost seem to be a softer waterproof fabric that are (hopefully) easy to vacuum and wipe clean.

I picked up the mats yesterday and my initial take is that they feel way lower quality than the tuxmats. They're pretty thin and have a plasticky feel, and feel a tiny bit slippery under my feet. I thought about just ordering 1st row tux mats but they were out of stock, so I just bit the bullet and went with the OEMs. For the $460 CAD they cost, I wish they were nicer, but the coverage is good. I'll update with further experiences as they get some use this winter.

I picked up the mats yesterday and my initial take is that they feel way lower quality than the tuxmats. They're pretty thin and have a plasticky feel, and feel a tiny bit slippery under my feet. I thought about just ordering 1st row tux mats but they were out of stock, so I just bit the bullet and went with the OEMs. For the $460 CAD they cost, I wish they were nicer, but the coverage is good. I'll update with further experiences as they get some use this winter.

Thanks for the update. Your initial take is exactly what I feared mine would be with the Maxspider/CA OEM. Hopefully they work out just fine. I'm anxious to get my hands on the Tuxmats. I'll post back my impression when I receive them.

I got the premium Canadian mats installed upon delivery of my 2018 CX-9. The mats stay in the car year round, and I only take them out to pressure wash and scrub them clean in the spring time. In my experience they are pretty durable, but if I had to pay for them, I'd probably opt for the Maxpiders instead.

Quick update and review of the Tuxmat floor mat option.

Overall: 9.5/10. And my only minor qualm with them might actually correct itself over time. I believe these are the best mat out there of those available that fit my needs.

Background: I drive a Jeep (the CX-9 is my wife's) and in that vehicle I have the OEM rubber floor mats, which are very similar to the Mazda OEM (US), in that they are rubber and do not fully cover the entire carpeted area. They just cover a subset footprint leaving carpeting along the sides exposed. As the one in the household who cleans the vehicles, and with a wife who's hair sheds like a retriever, I really hate vacuuming hair out of carpeting. We also visit the beach a lot and sand can be a nuisance to vacuum up as well. Of the mats available for the CX-9, the Tuxmat was the one that seemed to have the best coverage and came with stellar reviews across the internet.

First Impression: Very well-made, and thoughtfully designed. These are carpeted on the bottom, and have a PVC almost pleather-like top surface. The top surface will be extremely easy to vacuum anything loose and just as easy to wipe anything that doesn't come up with the vacuum. This would not be the case with a traditional rubber (OEM-like) mat. They will require hosing down periodically to get them clean. The design and how the mats integrate into the vehicle is really what sets these apart. First, for the driver and passenger mats that typically use the OEM snap connector, Tuxmat has designed these to fit over the OEM connector. This creates a fully waterproof (or at least much more water resistant) solution. The method by which Tuxmat allows you to secure the driver mat is really simple and because of that seems very smart. Second, the included clips to secure the mat to various paneling along the rim of each mat ensures a very tight fit against panels and will aid in preventing dirt/anything getting underneath the mat. I have not seen a design like this before and I am convinced it's the best solution out there.

Install: The mats went in very easily. I took full advantage of the included panel clips, which were most helpful for the driver and front passenger mats as these will be the most-used seats. I had plenty of leftover clips as well, so enough are included to do it right. The front mats have extremely good coverage for the entire area, even extending up and over the back part of the floor where the seat is. The 2nd row mat is a one-piece design and again, has really good coverage. The 3rd row mat tucked into where the seat leather meets the carpet, which makes for a very clean install.

Impressions: Not much to add to the above. Great design, easy to install, excellent coverage, very easy to clean, and seem like they will hold up very well.

Minor gripes: The second row arms that extend the length of the bench seat along the side are not flush against the step panel. This might be because they are new (and because it is colder out) and have not settled. Maybe over the summer I can get them to become more seamless like the front mats. I could probably add some velcro (like the Mazda OEM cargo mat) to help with this. Another solution would be a panel clip that instead of being flat, curves up with a short 90 degree bend allowing it to more firmly hold with the panel. This is not a heavily trafficked area of the vehicle, so it's no big deal, but something I wanted to point out.

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg

^^ Definitely a nice option. Thanks for providing pics as well, I don't think I've actually seen pictures of the mats installed on a CX-9 before this. The heel pad in front of the brake/gas pedal is a nice touch.

^^ Definitely a nice option. Thanks for providing pics as well, I don't think I've actually seen pictures of the mats installed on a CX-9 before this. The heel pad in front of the brake/gas pedal is a nice touch.

Happy to share! I don't think I had seen many (or any) pics in the CX-9 as well. The attention to detail, like the rubber heel pad, and other little things really make these a nice option with a premium feel. That and I appreciate the subtle branding that some other mats are less concerned about.

Back