Disappointments / missing things in your CX-5?

Just resistors on the rear, with a different red LED bulb, since I couldn't find a red LED 7440 with built in resistors. Up front has to be amber. I used the referenced bulbs on the front which are plug and play, no modifications/adapters required. Both are brighter and easier to see than the standard bulb, an useful safety upgrade (mainly for the front) because I want pedestrians and other vehicles to see when I'm signaling for a turn.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the connected services like the CX-30 has. This is something I’ve had on a few cars and was surprised the CX-5 didn’t have it. Very handy for when you wonder if you remembered to lock your car when you go somewhere.

Surprised nobody has mentioned the connected services like the CX-30 has. This is something I’ve had on a few cars and was surprised the CX-5 didn’t have it. Very handy for when you wonder if you remembered to lock your car when you go somewhere.

Some people may prefer not to have a service that regularly uploads where you've driven, how you're driving (i.e., acceleration, braking, steering), and details about your vehicle (i.e. seat belt use, fuel level, warning lights, temperature settings, what you listen to, etc.) for privacy reasons. The vehicle does this even without a subscription. Mazda shares this information with third parties. You can call and opt out of this data collection and sharing, but you also forfeit the ability to use the services if you do that. :)

Some people may prefer not to have a service that regularly uploads where you've driven, how you're driving (i.e., acceleration, braking, steering), and details about your vehicle (i.e. seat belt use, fuel level, warning lights, temperature settings, what you listen to, etc.) for privacy reasons. The vehicle does this even without a subscription. Mazda shares this information with third parties. You can call and opt out of this data collection and sharing, but you also forfeit the ability to use the services if you do that. :)

I agree with your sentiment, but if you have your Android phone or iPHone in the car with you, all your apps are doing that anyways unless you specifically tune your device properly.. and even then sometimes it's still doing it anyways surreptitiously through apps that have "bugs' conveniently buried in them. LOL.

I tend to find those same people who are very worried about that kind of thing are the same people who post every possible little detail about their life on Facebook and Instagram.. lol

I agree with your sentiment, but if you have your Android phone or iPHone in the car with you, all your apps are doing that anyways unless you specifically tune your device properly.. and even then sometimes it's still doing it anyways surreptitiously through apps that have "bugs' conveniently buried in them. LOL.

I tend to find those same people who are very worried about that kind of thing are the same people who post every possible little detail about their life on Facebook and Instagram.. lol

Totally agreed - just making it clear that it's yet another conduit for data collection for those who like to wear tinfoil hats or may be running a meth lab. :)

Totally agreed - just making it clear that it's yet another conduit for data collection for those who like to wear tinfoil hats or may be running a meth lab. :)

LOL. Working in IT gives me a better understanding of just what these companies are doing, and how much data I'm giving them. I do have a Facebook, but I'm pretty close to just shutting it down. Same with instagram.

I know they'll still get data from me navigating around the web, etc.. but I'd rather not willing give them the data.

I know my insurance company offers discounts to people who put those trackers in your car... I'd rather pay more money than have them knowing every time I hit the brakes hard.

Yeah that’s definitely a consideration but I’m willing to give up that information for the convenience of seeing vehicle status in an app. It’s definitely not for everyone but now that I’ve had that convenience for a few years, I’m not sure I could give it up.

I know my insurance company offers discounts to people who put those trackers in your car... I'd rather pay more money than have them knowing every time I hit the brakes hard.

This.

As for the car, there is the privacy reason, but I also just don't want more vectors for people to hack my car. Hearing about cars like Teslas with "updates" just makes me cringe. Not sure what connected services is being referred to with the CX-30, but that's where I am at with it.

This.

As for the car, there is the privacy reason, but I also just don't want more vectors for people to hack my car. Hearing about cars like Teslas with "updates" just makes me cringe. Not sure what connected services is being referred to with the CX-30, but that's where I am at with it.

Yeah, I can totally see the insurance companies using it against you at renewal time.. Your premiums go up, and when you call they say "well, you actually slammed on the brake 60% more than the rest of our customers, so... "

Yeah, I can totally see the insurance companies using it against you at renewal time.. Your premiums go up, and when you call they say "well, you actually slammed on the brake 60% more than the rest of our customers, so... "

Right exactly. Plus they'd hate that I don't take 10 minutes to get up to speed limit from a stop.

At least at the time I did it, Liberty Mutual only made me to drive with it for like 90 days, and I still have the discount applied years later.

At least at the time I did it, Liberty Mutual only made me to drive with it for like 90 days, and I still have the discount applied years later.
State Farm to told me the same. But even if I they don't raise my rates, I know there's no way they'll lower my rates after they see the way I drive :eek:

This.

Connected services generally refers to a smartphone app that communicates with your car over cellular data. Your car can alert you if you leave it unlocked, leave the sunroof open, etc. And you can lock it, unlock it, start it from the app. In addition to those items, my RAV4 also displays information about the car like tire pressure, oil level, maintenance reminders. My car in no way, shape, or form communicates to my insurance company.

My car in no way, shape, or form communicates to my insurance company.

17c.png

Mazdas without connected services can only be tracked through location data through the Carplay and the phone itself, which is itself a tracking device. There is also a "black box" data logging device in most modern cars. And, all of the big tech companies certainly track location and other data. The CX-5, though, does not have a modem, and I'm fine with that. It doesn't need one. An electric car would benefit from live charging maps. Not required for the CX-5 and Carplay/AA navigation is far more versatile than anything Mazda could put in the car.

I wouldn't mind if the CX5 had those cap-less gas fillers. Just rented a car that reminded me of that...wonder why all cars haven't gone to that already.

I wouldn't mind if the CX5 had those cap-less gas fillers. Just rented a car that reminded me of that...wonder why all cars haven't gone to that already.

I agree. I just came from several Hondas that had capless fillers. It's nice not to have to unscrew a cap, carefully place it into the holder so it doesn't bang against the paint and dent or scratch it, then screw it back on and remember to tighten it properly. Yeah, it only saves like 10 seconds of my life at each fill-up, but it's a small thing that is very convenient. I miss it on my MX-5 and CX-5.

Back