Recent CX-5 purchase. Are there interior/exterior protection packages worth getting?

Hi all

I've lurked a bit around here before purchasing a 2019 CPO CX-5 GTwPP, and really appreciate the forum!

The car is still well under the standard warranty plus the additional CPO warranty to follow. Upon purchasing, the dealer told us about protection plans for the inside (upholstery, carpet) and paint protection. They weren't pushy, but at the same time we've been able to get very little information on the protection plan, who covers it, what the details are, etc. It's something offered by the auto group that owns the dealership (which is Mazda authorized, but I'm sure the protection has nothing to do with Mazda). I'm wondering if owners buy these sort of things, or maybe buy other third party ones? Or what does everyone do in case of scratches/dents/ripped-upholstery/etc.

Thanks!

Save your money. I do recommend getting the OEM rubber all weather mats and cargo mat, they're thick, grippy, washable, and durable. Some on here also like the Husky or Weathertechs. Husky would be my second choice if the OEM were not up to standard.

Amazon had a better price than my local Mazda dealer, so I went with them. The cargo mat is 10 pounds of solid rubber and fits perfectly.

If I did a lot of interstate driving I might opt for some kind of protection for the front and hood but I would steer clear of the dealer offered services. Keep the car clean and waxed and avoid tight parking spots.
I'd have to see what they're offering, how much it costs and what it covers.

I've had Paint Protection Film(PPF) installed on my current and previous CX-5, by a local home & auto window business. I opted for the front end pre-cut PPF "kit", and had them cut other pieces for the hood, mirrors, A pillar, interior door sill and leading roofline (up to the sunroof). It is one of the best investments you can make to prevent stone chips/scratches!! I also bought the CX-5 badged all weather mats made by U-Guard in Canada. They are a custom fit and I believe are only available from Mazda dealers in Canada, BUT, U-Guard also make their own custom fit models for the CX-5 available through various retailers, in Canada at least, including COSTCO. Their model is called U-Guard MAXpider, which I had on my previous CX-5. The thing I like about their mats compared to WeaterTech or Husky is that their mats cover more of the dead pedal.

I've had Paint Protection Film(PPF) installed on my current and previous CX-5, by a local home & auto window business. I opted for the front end pre-cut PPF "kit", and had them cut other pieces for the hood, mirrors, A pillar, interior door sill and leading roofline (up to the sunroof). It is one of the best investments you can make to prevent stone chips/scratches!!

How much does that run?

Interior / exterior protection Plan??? Sure, I would get it if it means when somebody runs a shopping cart into my Fender they fix it. I really don't know what an exterior protection plan would do. I'm thinking they wanted to sell you a fancy wax job or a Scotchgard cloth treatment. Hard pass

I think a rear bumper cover is worthwhile. Less than $100.

The professionaly installed ppf can cost quite a bit but I put a strip of 3M ppf on the front edge of the hood myself for less than $100.

I don't think side body rub moldings ( like on a boat) are available for cx5, but they're about the only thing that might protect against door dings.

I got door ding moldings from sportwing.com as at work I’m in a parking lot and always getting hammered. Then COVID started. Anyway, the paint color was a 100% match and I’m pleased with the material and appearance. They also make a rear bumper cover for the CX-5. (I used PPF in that area for my 6.)
No connection with them other than a pleased customer.

For exterior I had the oem door cups and door edges replaced on my 19’. I have suntek ultra on the front bumper, full hood, full front fenders and mirrors. That install ran me $1,000 out the door but I did all the polishing prior. Ultra also carries a 10 warranty, self healing and all that good stuff. The installer did pre cuts but also adjusted them to get a bit more coverage.
If you have white, over time it is inevitable to have a dirty edge. And you still have to take care of PPF but it’s worth the investment. Just make sure you get the paint corrected prior, remove any swirling, or see if the shop will do it for you.
For interior I run the 3dmaxpider floor liners which I believe they are who make the Canada oem liners but don’t quote me on that. Majority of those interior care packages are more than what it would cost to have the seats completely re-done in the future so keep that in mind.

Only thing worth splurging for is PPF on the front (bumper + at least partial hood).

Never buy an interior protection package. All they do is spray a Scotch-Guard-like product on the carpet and seats and you're basically getting gouged for a shady warranty. You can easily DIY your interior care. My recommendations:

Carpet: They're black, so just vacuum from time to time.

Dash/doors/plastic: Aerospace 303 protectant, wipe on and lightly buff; avoid Armor-All. Use monthly.

Seats: If you want a high durability protectant, apply Cquartz Leather every 1-2 years. Alternatively, Aerospace 303 does the trick but only lasts a month, just be sure to buff off the excess. If you wish to deep clean and/or condition the seats, Leatherique is by far the favored product among car detailing enthusiasts. If the CPO is in good shape and you want to lightly clean the leather, just dilute some gentle detergent and use it to dampen a rag.

Piano black trim: If you want to remove existing scratches, Meguiars makes plastic polishes and you can find YouTube videos on how to use the products. Once perfect, PPF is the best option and the shop you take it to probably can polish up the pieces beforehand for a reasonable rate. But if you splurge for the CQuartz Leather, that stuff also helps harden shiny plastic.

How much does that run?

I paid around $1000. As another poster here has suggested be sure you prep the exterior paint work before application of any PPF. I told my Mazda dealer to clay my CX-5 when I bought it before being sent off for the PPF. This removed any surface contaminants which accumulate during transport from Japan. After the PPF was installed I had a good wax put on the non PPF parts of the paint work, by the dealer. I had negotiated the clay/wax job as part of my purchase price. After 1.5 years I don't have one stone chip on my CX-5!! Money well spent?? You bet!! In hindsight I think I might have also had PPF installed on the piano black around the console and behind the exterior door handles as these areas also scratch easily.

Last edited:
I've had a partial on 3 cars in the last 10 years. A good job runs between $600 - $800. On my last car and this one I got the full front, (full front fenders,full hood, mirror backs, bumper and headlights) they run about $1,500-$1,800. The nice this is, not only isn't there a line to show like the partial front (leading 18 inches or so on the hood and fenders), but if done right they wrap all the edges they can underneath. Like the hood has no edges on the top because they can wrap them underneath, and the fender they can wrap it over the top in to the hood bay and around the back side by the door. Trust me, when you get that first ding or rock on the uncovered part of your hood or fender you'll wish you had it, but I know that $$1,600 can be hard to swallow

Visit their shop and see what they're working on. Choose the installer not the film. Most installers only work with 1 or 2 brands and each has areas where they excel. For example, my installer uses SunTek Ultra, which offers a more clear finish with better resistance to fading, and 3M, which claims offer better protection and self healing.

My cost was at the upper end for a full front- $1,800. They had a shop full of Teslas and Supras getting a full wrap - entire car. This is their actual garage, not just some promo pics. Does having wrapped fancy cars make them good? Not necessarily, but when you have customers like these it probably means they have quality referrals

.......For interior I run the 3dmaxpider floor liners which I believe they are who make the Canada oem liners but don’t quote me on that.
You are correct. The Canadian Mazda OEM all weather liners are indeed made by the same company that make the 3D Maxpiders ...... U-Guard Automotive out of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada.

Back