new 8 speed transmission coming?

I feel that I am in the minority but super fuel economy has never been that important to me in a 30K+ vehicle. Especially not fond of the auto stop/start gimmick and CD which can make the vehicle less reliable.

Last edited:
Inline 6 is the relatively new hotness in engine design, very smooth and powerful, is now used by the European brands.
This should be great for the CX-9 and higher trim 6, especially if provided with RWD. This is inline with Mazda's aspirations to position themselves as a premium brand and inline with forsaking fuel economy for the US market.
I don't agree Hybrids are the way to go for Mazda, as a previous Prius owner, it is clearly a temporary solution until full EVs are more practical. Mazda should go directly to EV. Prius, which was the epitome of fuel-economy with practicality, has fallen out of favor soon after they stopped getting HOV lane stickers and new full EV coolness came to be, with all new stickers.

However, I also don't think that the premium push for Mazda will work. First, it must give-up the market below premium, as you can't successfully associate yourself with both. This would be a mistake. Also, premium level is a problematic status as it is not quite luxury. I think people buying luxury, i.e. willing to waste money on slightly better car, don't want to lose the status symbol of owning (mostly leasing ;-)) a luxury vehicle. They are all in, not part of the way in. They are not practical in getting a cheaper vehicle, which is pretty great but is missing the luxury emblem. They are literally pay more for the brand, even when it makes no practical sense.

Personally, while a inline 6 is sweet, I'd be hard pressed to justify buying it vs. a 4 cylinder Honda/Toyota. If it was only slightly more pricey than that and had RWD, I would be tempted to get one for my self. For my wife, there is no justification to get something like that.

I feel that I am in the minority but super fuel economy has never been that important to me in a 30K+ vehicle. Especially not fond of the auto stop/start gimmick and CD which can make the vehicle less reliable.
Totally with you on that one.
After two years of ownership, I couldn't tell you what kind of gas consumption my car has.
I never check, nor do I care.
Heck, I still drive around in my 2002 gas guzzling Pathfinder, and I don't give a crap.

Inline 6 is the relatively new hotness in engine design, very smooth and powerful, is now used by the European brands.
This should be great for the CX-9 and higher trim 6, especially if provided with RWD. This is inline with Mazda's aspirations to position themselves as a premium brand and inline with forsaking fuel economy for the US market.
I don't agree Hybrids are the way to go for Mazda, as a previous Prius owner, it is clearly a temporary solution until full EVs are more practical. Mazda should go directly to EV. Prius, which was the epitome of fuel-economy with practicality, has fallen out of favor soon after they stopped getting HOV lane stickers and new full EV coolness came to be, with all new stickers.

However, I also don't think that the premium push for Mazda will work. First, it must give-up the market below premium, as you can't successfully associate yourself with both. This would be a mistake. Also, premium level is a problematic status as it is not quite luxury. I think people buying luxury, i.e. willing to waste money on slightly better car, don't want to lose the status symbol of owning (mostly leasing ;-)) a luxury vehicle. They are all in, not part of the way in. They are not practical in getting a cheaper vehicle, which is pretty great but is missing the luxury emblem. They are literally pay more for the brand, even when it makes no practical sense.

Personally, while a inline 6 is sweet, I'd be hard pressed to justify buying it vs. a 4 cylinder Honda/Toyota. If it was only slightly more pricey than that and had RWD, I would be tempted to get one for my self. For my wife, there is no justification to get something like that.
Inline 6 -- take me back to the 60's.

I am not sure that an 8 speed is needed or desired. It will all depend upon the computer programming that controls the shift points. In order to achieve the almighty high mileage ratings, too many vehicles with auto transmissions shift to the higher gears way too soon, resulting in constant "hunting" for the most efficient gear as minor changes in traffic or road conditions occur, short of being on an open freeway and cruising at 70 MPH.
An engine with a lot of torque, as the Skyactiv turbos produce does pretty well with the 6 speed transmission. Maybe going to a 7 speed for an additional overdrive ratio at speeds over 65 or 70 MPH would help mileage but 8 speeds seems to me either a "me too" response to "keep up" with the competition or needless engineering and manufacturing expense.

The 8-speed is needed for mpgs. Others in the class are using CVTs and 10 speed transmissions for an unfair advatange and yet Mazda is still competitive using a 6 speed. An 8 speed with skyactiv approach means Mazda continues to be competitive in the mpg front. They cannot afford to be in last place in mpgs for each class.

Last edited:
On the other hand, an 8 speed could help Mazda gain ~2 MPG, when coupled with a 4-Cylinder. It will also help with competing with entry level luxury models.
Inline 6 -- take me back to the 60's.

They are making a comeback

Last edited:
Back