2019-2020 Mazda3 RECALL for faulty Emergency Braking System

Tran7270

Mazzippy70
:
Mazda CX-5 Touring
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/20/mazda3-recall-emergency-braking/

https://www.cars.com/articles/2019-20-mazda3-recall-alert-415498/

This appears to be serious. Perhaps in the mean time we can disable SBS before the recall fix is in place?
I have a 2020 Mazda3 Select sedan and I tried to disable the SBS through Mazda Connect, but it won't let me - SBS enable/disable is grayed out with a message saying "Cannot change settings as this function is used by a related i-ACTIVSENSE feature". Does anyone know how to temporary disable SBS? I tried disabling other i-ACIVESENSE features, but still could not disable SBS.

There is an i-ACTIVSENSE button that if you press and hold it will disable SBS, but it will also disable everything else including Blind Spot Monitoring.

What was it Scotty said in one of the earlier Star Trek movies? The more you tax the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. I hate all this technology they*re stuffing into these cars that most people never asked for or wanted, but some group of assholes who think they know more than the rest of us decided it*s a good idea. When more people get killed than saved by all this *driver assistance*, maybe somebody will finally question that just because we can doesn*t mean we should.

/rant

There is an i-ACTIVSENSE button that if you press and hold it will disable SBS, but it will also disable everything else including Blind Spot Monitoring.

Correction: The press and hold of the i-Activsense button to disable SBS procedure was extracted from a 2019 Mazda 3 owner manual and for some reasons the same procedure does not work on my 2020 model year. So I found that to disable SBS in my 2020, I had to first press i-Activsense button (you will see the i-Activsense symbol lit up in the instrument cluster), then go into my Mazda Connect under Safety Settings/Collision Avoidance and disable SBS, which then you will see additional SBS OFF symbol lit up in the instrument cluster. Remember it will come right back on the next time you start the car so you have to repeat the process once the car is turned off/on. I temporary disabled SBS while waiting for the recall fix to be completed.

When more people get killed than saved by all this *driver assistance*, maybe somebody will finally question that just because we can doesn't mean we should.

Don't hold your breath. It's akin to laws that suck, never should have been passed, and are here to stay.

Paisano, you sound like one of my countless automation engineering colleagues who've made that exact 'just because you can doesn't mean ya should' statement for at least te pasta decade...the automotive industry has a lot to learn. Unfortunately, it would appear that education is going to come at the expense of all of us. Maybe, just maybe, they should have collaborated with us folks who've been automating all kinds of 'stuff', hazardous and dangerous 'stuff', for the past 30 years. And in that world, un-guided vehicles would most definitely fall in to the category of dangerous and/or hazardous. I find it unbelievably ironic how the standards we must adhere to for industrial, automation and control safety (lest we end up in a court room defending ourselves) don't seem to apply to the automotive world. Are there any standards for automating a vehicle other than 'its cool' and the 'public' wants? Based upon my experiences w/ the automation in the CX5 I'd say absolutely not. Nearly being rear-ended several times due to the SBS's poor situational awareness, as the most serious offense, is not helpful in anyway. Standards?... when there exists an exponentially greater exposure to incident with a vehicle on a changing and unpredictable road course? yeah, good luck w/ that. Just because you can doesn't mean ya should.

It is going to be a great future for your kids as lawyers. I can certainly state as fact we wouldn't be unleashing technology in a production facility that was only just barely functioning, under perfect conditions no less, as these automotive automation amateurs have, and are doing. I be out of a job in a second. I may actually consider changing professions and becoming a (far better paid) specialized attorney myself...never too old right?

:giggle: Boeing 737 MAX...nuff said. How long has the entire produced fleet been out of service now? Oh, and production has completely halted on those planes as well. They keep speaking publicly about 'software'. That's simple-speak for we have a serious problem that Can not be fixed in software alone. Meaning it's going to cost a boat load to rectify. Despite everyone's desires, every issue that arises in this modern technological world that arises can not simply be 'fixed' in or by software.

So yes, it could be that serious and, even if your dealer was aware of the seriousness or lack thereof (not), they're certainly not going to tell you or admit to anything until forced to do so. Mazda may not have a clue how to resolve the issue...with the current hardware and/or software systems currently installed in the vehicles (meaning on the cheap). All this re-engineering takes much time and many dollars. It appears 'the public' also has much to learn about the automation everyone is so keen on in automobiles....

My car is going in Saturday for this recall work and one with the clutch causing a stall.

In regards to the emergency breaking system, I have had my car do an emergency stop a couple of times flashing up BRAKE on the hud even when nothing is in front I just took it as being overly sensitive to parked cars. On one occasion someone was close to rear ending me.

Join the club. Car was barely 2 weeks old and was nearly plowed into by a Wrangler because 'I' stopped, and completely, for no good reason. That was the first of several SBS incidents.

You can disable it as I do now every, single, bloody, time, I start the car. No more incidents, none, zero. I've experienced the 'BRAKE!' pop-up once recently w/ the SBS off and the RACC was engaged. Even though RACC is "supposed" to be gauging and maintaining the distance (which it does very well under ideal conditions) it is in fact incapable of handling the exception of objects suddenly and abruptly cutting in to its 'gauging space' in very tight quarters (lotsa traffic) at freeway speeds. It merely reacts after the fact, and poorly at that. Don't know if it would have literally braked or attempted to stop the car in any way (that would have ended badly if it had), most certainly would have based upon previous experiences if the SBS was enabled. I truly don't know what it would have done because I'd already anticipated the guy cutting me off prior to the car realizing it was happening and cancelled the RACC via cancel button on steering wheel, disengaging throttle giving the joker room w/o me having to apply brake and pissing-off the other joker tail-gating me. The current crop of automation has zero situational awareness.

Another exception RACC doesn't handle well... tight curves on the highway whereby the vehicle it's gauging, slowly via curvature, moves out of its direct vision path...it then accelerates if it had been following at a speed lower than its setpoint. The piss-poor behavior these systems demonstrate are clearly due to the vehicle's lack of peripheral 'vision'. In a nut-shell, half-assed automation that should not be in a vehicle at this time.

Anywho...Mazda won't (claim they can't, which I call BS on) make the SBS setting a permanent toggle OFF, because...it's a 'safety' feature. A liability issue to do so, so they say...I plainly stated I disagree and counter it's a rear-ender magnet. A different liability which I'm not partial to. I then asked the service manager to contact Mazda again regarding my request and get it in writing that they accept full responsibility, and liability, for the accident when I get rear-ended. When, not if. He/they both declined, verbally of course.

Maybe it's possible to permanently kill the SBS in your 3...can't hurt to demand they turn it off and see what kind of BS response they feed you.

This is like Tesla's 500,000 vehicles under scrutiny by the NHTSA for unintended acceleration. You could not pay me enough to drive one of those.
And then there's Mary Jane legalization and vaping. Users are guinea pigs Thankfully, the only "issue" I've had with my 3 was an expensive e-iloop battery. Everything works perfectly after 5+ years.

So my car had the updates installed on a Saturday it seems to have been a new update for active sense that also fixes a few other minor issues. I also got a print out to go with the manual though tbh skimming through it I couldn't see anything that stood out as different.

On a side note my car is due again on the 15th feb for another recall to do with the AC and heating. Apparently the fault was first recalled on the CX-5 but now has been expanding to several other VIN numbers including my mazda 3 (apparently slightly newer builds don't need the update).

Back