Didn't Catch a Dealer Screw Up

That's because not many people bother reading the manual.
After I brought my new car home, I took the manual into the house and went through it cover to cover.
I've forgotten a few things since, but I still refer to it from time to time.

True. It's not helped by the fact that the Mazda Owner's manual is the size of War and Peace. And it seems like they over explain simple stuff while totally missing others.
I download the PDF version Owner's Manual mainly to use the "Search" function. It helps find lots of buried gems I'd likely miss if I read the hard-copy.

Does the 2018 CX5 have this??? I have the buttons on the side of the driver's seat for 2 drivers but do not remember reading about the ability to program the settings with the fob

I haven't set my fobs up, but can confirm that the 2018 CX5's have this feature.

True. It's not helped by the fact that the Mazda Owner's manual is the size of War and Peace. And it seems like they over explain simple stuff while totally missing others.
I download the PDF version Owner's Manual mainly to use the "Search" function. It helps find lots of buried gems I'd likely miss if I read the hard-copy.

PDF is the best way to do it!

It HAS to be huge due to the information required. But you're right: some of it is well written and thorough, some is too thorough and useless, and some is just poorly written/explained.

It's nice to know about another little feature of the car, altho I'll never use it.

Meanwhile, I just read that Subaru's available driver-monitoring system, introduced on the 2019 Forester, uses face-scanning software to recognize up to five drivers and recall preferences for things such as seating position and climate control. They don't need no stinkin' fobs!

Last edited:
And...... another Mazda dealer experience that proves that Mazda has a long way to go when it comes to dealer experience.
If Mazda wants to truly increase their reputation and sales, they absolutely need to up their game in this area.
I mean, a Mazda Service Manager that didn't know the CX-5 had a turbo? It's not like Mazda has 25 different models and 10 engine choices to memorize. Really?
It is simply not good enough.

Lol, it's a dealer's service thing - period. Regardless of under which brand name. Unless we're talking some exotics - where nobody can touch a car without a pair of white gloves - absolutely all dealers employ same monkeys.

My sis's BMW dealer, the largest one in Montreal area - only employs mechanics fresh out of mech. schools. Want to discuss the quality of service - or rather - the quality of work?

My dad is on his 2nd 4Runner with the same Toyota dealership. At the end of the included oil-services (at 40k km) we discovered that the dealer has never changed the factory - installed oil filter. One of the reasons being - a simple oil change procedure on any pre-2016 4Runner, which used to take about 10mins on a bad day - has been turned into a full blown toomba-yaa, teeth-removal-through-ones-arse dance with special tools and having to drop the whole bottom engine's covers. So even Toyota's techs didn't feel like it.

I just had my Mazda's trany changed under warranty, I'm honestly afraid to look closely under the hood, nevermind all the exterior blemishes that they left. And I haven't even checked yet if all bottom plastics were re-installed properly. My only consolation - it's still under warranty and if anything falls of - it's on them.

30 or 40 years ago the service manager used to be the top dog (mechanic) in the shop as a norm. He could tell you what does what and when. Nowadays it's usually someone with a business degree, not that there's anything wrong with that, but the hands on experience usually isn't there anymore. So, the person not knowing about the turbo doesn't really surprise me. Maybe it was someone new?

Last edited:
Meanwhile, I just read that Subaru's available driver-monitoring system, introduced on the 2019 Forester, uses face-scanning software to recognize up to five drivers and recall preferences for things such as seating position and climate control. They don't need no stinkin' fobs!

Finally a real, legit use for facial recognition! It would be real cool if it could be used as theft protection - to prevent unauthorized drivers. Of course there's always a way around that:
asset.php

Attachments

• mask.jpg
    mask.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 891

You got THAT right.

I downloaded the manual before I even picked up my car and started to skim it. It can be a little overwhelming to do a search and see "876 instances found."

But even at that, and even with simpler manuals, I always seem to learn something new when I pick it up and read through it again, even years down the road. There are things that just won't stick until you have a frame of reference...and these cars have so much.

Lol, it's a dealer's service thing - period. Regardless of under which brand name.

My sis's BMW dealer, the largest one in Montreal area - only employs mechanics fresh out of mech. schools. Want to discuss the quality of service - or rather - the quality of work?

At 40k km we discovered that the dealer has never changed the factory - installed oil filter. A simple oil change procedure has been turned into a full blown toomba-yaa, teeth-removal-through-ones-arse dance with special tools and having to drop the whole bottom engine's covers. So even Toyota's techs didn't feel like it.

Ya, bad experiences aren't confined just to Mazda dealers.
I've had bad experiences with a Ford and a Honda dealership, just to name 2.
It seems that so much depends on the management of said dealership. If you find a good one, stay with it.
I've had several Nissans, and had a really good dealership where I went, even for post warranty work. Good service and good people.
A few years ago, they sold the dealership to a conglomerate, and it went in the dumpster soon after that.
Lots of changes (for the worse), almost all new staff (for the worse), and now they are struggling (no surprise). I don't go there anymore.
I haven't had to use my local Mazda dealership yet, so it remains to be seen how good or how bad they are. I guess I'll find out some day.

Last evening I've finally overcame my denials and went to have a closer look under my hood first time after my AT got replaced under warranty... Unsurprisingly - intake bolts are missing and there were some clips laying around. Can't wait for my next oil change to see how many engine cover's bolts are missing...(pissed)

Monkeys and f@#$%ing donkeys... If you want something done properly - do it yourself.

I had a kid working in installation on my previous job, owner son's friend... anyhow, this kid's hands were literally growing out of his arse - you couldn't let him do a simple job without him screwing it up. At some point he decided to be come a mechanic and did his classes, landed a job at Ford. About a year later we found out that he's on the dealership's wall of fame as one of the best.
Now, don't get me wrong - I'm really happy for the kid... but I can't help wondering - if this worthless, good for nothing baboon ended up being one of the best - what can we expect from an average dealer's mech?

Last evening I've finally overcame my denials and went to have a closer look under my hood first time after my AT got replaced under warranty... Unsurprisingly - intake bolts are missing and there were some clips laying around. Can't wait for my next oil change to see how many engine cover's bolts are missing...(pissed)

Monkeys and f@#$%ing donkeys... If you want something done properly - do it yourself.

I had a kid working in installation on my previous job, owner son's friend... anyhow, this kid's hands were literally growing out of his arse - you couldn't let him do a simple job without him screwing it up. At some point he decided to be come a mechanic and did his classes, landed a job at Ford. About a year later we found out that he's on the dealership's wall of fame as one of the best.
Now, don't get me wrong - I'm really happy for the kid... but I can't help wondering - if this worthless, good for nothing baboon ended up being one of the best - what can we expect from an average dealer's mech?
Its funny that if the transmission of my CX-5 got replaced by the Mazda dealer, Id be afraid of opening the hood and checking out the work! When I had the rear brake calipers replaced due to EPB dragging issue, I asked the master mechanic to perform the job by himself and he agreed. I hope he actually did the job, not by some Mazda certified mechanic who screwed many things during the dealer visit. Thats only on those things I could see, and I really couldnt see the work hidden which may also have got screwed by that certified mechanic.

My most recent encounter of dealer screw-up is by a Toyota dealer for factory-included free oil change on my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA. The mechanic claimed the oil drain plug aluminum washer cracked which caused 3 quarts of oil leaked out during my road trip from San Jose to LA! I felt lucky that the dealer over-filled at least 0.5 quarts of oil to begin with which gave me a little more safety margin and the engine didnt seized due to oil starvation. I was amazed a dealer couldnt even do the very simple oil change job right!

Yes, it seems the only way we want something done properly is to do it ourselves nowadays!

If you want something done properly - do it yourself.

Yup. Even if you have to buy extra tools and live with making mistakes along the way, at least you know the final result will be acceptable.

It really sucks that mistrust is justified. I'm sure we all got stories, and not just on car repairs.

Yes, it seems the only way we want something done properly is to do it ourselves nowadays!

Yup. Even if you have to buy extra tools and live with making mistakes along the way, at least you know the final result will be acceptable.
It really sucks that mistrust is justified. I'm sure we all got stories, and not just on car repairs.

Sad, but true. I've said it myself many times.

But tell me, what would you guys say to someone who feels that way about what they might hire YOU to do for them?

In other words, is it true of you, too? ;)

Sad, but true. I've said it myself many times.

But tell me, what would you guys say to someone who feels that way about what they might hire YOU to do for them?

In other words, is it true of you, too? ;)
Ha! You may have a point here! :)

Back