2018 Cx9 turbo oil change

:
Mitishi Outlander
My dealer service department says it is best to do first oil change on my cx9 turbo at 5k and not 7.5 k since the Turbo runs hot . You all agree?

The service department would have you change the oiil every thousand miles if they could get away with it. I don't know if the factory fill is synthetic oil, but if it is I'd stick with the service intervals specified by Mazda and not the dealer. The upsell of nonsense and early service at the dealership is just their way of shifting the profits from the sales to the service department. Often now sales people are on salary and the service 'advisors' are on incentive based pay.

The schedule in the Owner's Manual trumps anything the dealership says. That said, plenty of people have done their first oil change early. Tolerances in modern manufacturing are much lower these days, so "breaking in" the engine doesn't result in nearly as many metal shavings as they used to way back when (which was the whole point of changing the oil early). That said, many still do their first oil change early just for peace of mind, or out of habit.

I did my first oil change at 7000 kms (manual states 8000 kms).

"My dealer service department says it is best to do first oil change on my cx9 turbo at 5k" Maybe
"since the Turbo runs hot" True...a gas turbine is a heat engine. And, it's made for reliable everyday automotive service.
"You all agree? " Never happen.

So...if one wants to do an early oil change, split the difference. Change at, say, 3000 then 7500 and every 7500 after that. If the thought of 7500 mile oil drain intervals keeps you awake at night, go with 5000.

I'm doing 7500 and synthetic oil. Castrol, 'cuz that's what the local auto parts store had on sale. I can't prove that Castrol or Mobil 1 are superior, but I feel good about them and I'll stick with them. I stick with Mazda oil filters. Oil filter specs are not industry standard like oil specs are. In the rare chance of a failure of an oil lubricated engine part and a warranty claim, I want my bases covered as well as possible.

My dealer service department says it is best to do first oil change on my cx9 turbo at 5k and not 7.5 k since the Turbo runs hot . You all agree?

If you follow the owners manual intervals the warranty will be preserved. What does it say?

Personally, I change the oil in a new car at 1000 miles to synthetic of my choosing (something made with group IV base oil). But that's just my opinion.

I'm still old school when it comes to the first oil change.
I keep my cars a long time, and every one I've owned from new (where I did early oil changes), ran without leaks or burning throughout it's life.
I have no credible technical knowledge to back this up, so it's just my opinion and experience talking here.
I did the first oil change on my 6 at about 3,500 Kms (about 2,100 miles).

That is fair , on my service invoice it states that I am on a "schedule 2 "interval every 5k . They used 5 MOW20 /0w 20 synthetic oil with a PE01-14-302a mv oil filter.

I think I did mine at 3k for 1st time. After that, I stopped counting the mileage and just do it 2x a year because my yearly averaged at about 8k miles with 50/50 freeway and city driving.

On my from-new 1998 Dodge Caravan 'Sport' 3.3 V6, I changed the oil once a year whether it needed it or not (evil) it now has 236K miles and burns/leaks 1 quart between changes. Engine has never been touched, 2 sets of plugs.

I may be a bit less cavalier with my new 2019 CX-9 Touring - loving the car (but then I still love the old minivan for its honest character and utility - and reliability - may the CX-9 do as well...

Best way is pull the dipstick and put some oil on a clear plastic and see color, but 7,500miles is fine to be safe, thousand miles over or under wont hurt it.

Best way is pull the dipstick and put some oil on a clear plastic and see color, but 7,500miles is fine to be safe, thousand miles over or under wont hurt it.

Color tells you absolutely NOTHING about the current state of the oil...Nothing!

Color tells you absolutely NOTHING about the current state of the oil...Nothing!

Not altogether true. Clear, amber colored oil is almost certainly good. Creamy oil is almost certainly bad as it indicates the presence of water. Black oil could be good or bad, so yes, black oil tells you nothing without further diagnosis.

I did my first oil change at 1000 miles just to get all of the break in shavings out of the oil. I have been running Mobil1 5W30 ever since. To my surprise, I didn't find many shavings in this engine whereas other new engines I saw alot. I'd rather give the rings and bearings a clean shot at breaking in. My next oil change was at 6000 miles

So I'm really effing pissed... Bought a new 2018 cx9 GT last year.. very pleased with the car so far.
I took the vehicle in to a mazda dealer earlier today. I always supply my own oil being Castrol edge 5w30 full synthetic.
I went in to the nearest Walmart, they didn't have the right viscosity so trying my best to stay true to 5w30, I ended up buying the 5L (slightly less) jug of royal purple. I placed it behind the drivers seat on the floor, told the service manager during our road test (for a shaking mirror) that it's there for him to use it, he confirmed the price will be less since I'm applying my own oil (just like the previous times) and left the car for the day and took the shuttle service into work.

Not being familiar with the oil Royal purple, I was very curious after I picked up the car to see if it's actually purple. I raised the hood, checked the dip stick oil against white paper, and it looks like regular new, clean, unused engine oil.
Thinking maybe they reformulated the brand to not be purple, I did some research. Nope, still purple as heck. The service manager had said they topped off my oil with about .5L of their in house oil since the jug wasn't enough, and I was charged a little extra. The dye in the Royal purples 4.73L with .5L of conventional oil would not dilute it to look like conventional oil. I'm guessing someone took the RP oil and placed their in house one... Really upset about this. As I said, it was at a Mazda dealer. If need be, I'm willing to send the oil to Blackstone labs for testing. Any ideas though? Ever had this happen to me.. to top it off, on a seperate note, the service manager stated I was too picky, at least three times during another conversation for warranty work... Making me feel as though I simply must accept it without questioning anything etc.
Any ideas???

So I'm really effing pissed... Bought a new 2018 cx9 GT last year.. very pleased with the car so far.
I took the vehicle in to a mazda dealer earlier today. I always supply my own oil being Castrol edge 5w30 full synthetic.
I went in to the nearest Walmart, they didn't have the right viscosity so trying my best to stay true to 5w30, I ended up buying the 5L (slightly less) jug of royal purple. I placed it behind the drivers seat on the floor, told the service manager during our road test (for a shaking mirror) that it's there for him to use it, he confirmed the price will be less since I'm applying my own oil (just like the previous times) and left the car for the day and took the shuttle service into work.

Not being familiar with the oil Royal purple, I was very curious after I picked up the car to see if it's actually purple. I raised the hood, checked the dip stick oil against white paper, and it looks like regular new, clean, unused engine oil.
Thinking maybe they reformulated the brand to not be purple, I did some research. Nope, still purple as heck. The service manager had said they topped off my oil with about .5L of their in house oil since the jug wasn't enough, and I was charged a little extra. The dye in the Royal purples 4.73L with .5L of conventional oil would not dilute it to look like conventional oil. I'm guessing someone took the RP oil and placed their in house one... Really upset about this. As I said, it was at a Mazda dealer. If need be, I'm willing to send the oil to Blackstone labs for testing. Any ideas though? Ever had this happen to me.. to top it off, on a seperate note, the service manager stated I was too picky, at least three times during another conversation for warranty work... Making me feel as though I simply must accept it without questioning anything etc.
Any ideas???

The FAQs from Royal Purple's website states the following:

"Does Royal Purple maintain it's purple coloring after it's put into service?"
No. The dye that's used to color the oil dissipates shortly after being put into service. The oil will appear brown at some point.

It's likely that the dye had dissipated by the time you checked the dipstick. That said, I'm not familiar with Royal Purple or exactly how long it would take for the dye to dissipate.

Regarding the Service Manager saying you were being too picky.. in all honesty, maybe you might have been, but it's their job to alleviate your concerns. If you're not happy with how you're being treated, maybe try a different dealership or involve Mazda Corporate.

Also, I agree with the suggestion to do your own oil changes in the future, provided you have the tools, the space, the ability, and the time to do so.

The FAQs from Royal Purple's website states the following:

Also, I agree with the suggestion to do your own oil changes in the future, provided you have the tools, the space, the ability, and the time to do so.

Totally agree, please do your own oil change ! Also, a jug of oil is NOT enough for your 2.5t skyactiv engine. I fill 5.7qt to get it between high & low line of the dipstick.

The dye remains for at least the first few hours. If it didn't show on the white paper, I have to wonder if the mechanic's car's dipstick does look purple?? I've used an oil with green dye, and that remained for at least a few days. It looked clear on the dipstick but very light green on the white paper towel I used.

The dye serves no purpose beyond marketing. No harm, either. I don't know why Royal Purple has such a good reputation. What I've found on their website tells me nothing about what's in the oil nor why it may be actually better than many other oils. I've got some understanding of oil and its essential components. I'd use RP, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I did mine at 5500 just out of precaution (1st change was free anyway). What I also wanted to ask was:

1. Anyone else get a Low Oil light at about a 6k mile interval? Mine did before the oil change was due and after checking, the oil line was hovering by the bottom hole on the dip stick. I topped it off (.5 qt) and scheduled a service visit. Which brings me to..

Point #2. I got the car back after the change and checked it there. It was waayy over the top hole by about 1/4 inch. They said that was normal, but they were kind and refilled it. Same thing when I got it back the 2nd time. I asked how much they put in and the actual tech came out and said the the book calls for 6 qts. I showed them the manual which says 5.1 including the filter. She seemed shocked but changed it a 3rd time per my request and all was good on the last reading. Am I being too paranoid about the fill level? Do I need to babysit all the dealers repairs and service?

I did mine at 5500 just out of precaution (1st change was free anyway). What I also wanted to ask was:

1. Anyone else get a Low Oil light at about a 6k mile interval? Mine did before the oil change was due and after checking, the oil line was hovering by the bottom hole on the dip stick. I topped it off (.5 qt) and scheduled a service visit. Which brings me to..

Point #2. I got the car back after the change and checked it there. It was waayy over the top hole by about 1/4 inch. They said that was normal, but they were kind and refilled it. Same thing when I got it back the 2nd time. I asked how much they put in and the actual tech came out and said the the book calls for 6 qts. I showed them the manual which says 5.1 including the filter. She seemed shocked but changed it a 3rd time per my request and all was good on the last reading. Am I being too paranoid about the fill level? Do I need to babysit all the dealers repairs and service?

Mine requires at least 5.7qt to be between the low and full holes. Go with your dipstick.

Back