A Very Comfortable Center Console Arm Rest

:
2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring
Okay, before I get flamed let me defend myself.....

I know this is not going to win any beauty contests. However, it is very
comfortable and convenient. It can also be removed in seconds when not in use.

I have no doubt that anyone desiring more comfort for their right arm in the
CX-5, left hand drive, will be able to do a much prettier job than I did.

Ever since getting my 2016 MX-5 ND and adding a much more comfortable center
console arm rest, I have been spoiled.

My MX-5 ND now has one of the most comfortable interiors of any vehicle I
have ever driven. At least for me.....

After purchasing my 2018 CX-5, I was really disappointed at how useless the
center console arm rest is. Again, at least for me..........

I like to drive with my right arm supported but the CX-5 didn't provide that
luxury. So, after many months of pondering ideas, I finally came up with
something that really hits the spot. My right arm loves this.

The parts needed aren't very sofisticated or hard to find.

A re-purposed, stainless steel water bottle.

A trip to Home Depot for the rubber cap, which comes with the stainless steel
clamp. This is found in the plumbing section, ABS pipe area.

A home made or commercially made, padded pillow. The one I used is actually
a neck pillow that I have had for a few years. I used this on a previous
vehicle. I still have another one in black and two in beige. These were
purchased on ebay.

Some 1/4" plywood for the base of the pillow that I inserted inside and a round
piece for reinforcement inside the rubber cap.

Of course, a few wood screws that are long enough to go through every thing
but not too long. You don't want them poking through the arm rest pad. Ouch!

Then it's just a matter of fitting all the parts and putting them together.

The final thing that I did was wrap the bottom of the water bottle so that it
fits snugly into the vehicle cup holder. You will have to use your
imagination for this. If your water bottle is fat enough, you may not have
to worry about it.

The first picture is my MX-5 Miata interior.

su4x18M.jpg

VQNG2ng.jpg

3kngH2n.jpg

BkoCCWq.jpg

kkwUhKc.jpg

xJom46F.jpg

v8PECKm.jpg

jgkmRx0.jpg

Last edited:
I guess being tall has its perks! The center armrest is actually fine for me with the seat all the way back and down. I think my wife misses her flip-up armrests in her old CR-V, though.

I guess being tall has its perks! The center armrest is actually fine for me with the seat all the way back and down. I think my wife misses her flip-up armrests in her old CR-V, though.

I've tried your setting but then I can't reach the pedals or see over the steering wheel. :D

My wife didn't mind the way our CX-5 center arm rest was. When she drives, she doesn't use the arm rest. However, when she is a passenger, the seat is all the way back. Then she does. Same for me when she is driving.

Seeing that picture of the interior made me realize why my armrest was great while others said it wasn't great. I have long legs and my seat is farther back. Very clever idea you have there.

Seeing that picture of the interior made me realize why my armrest was great while others said it wasn't great. I have long legs and my seat is farther back. Very clever idea you have there.

My wife is shorter than I am so when she drives the CX-5, she has even less of an arm rest available. However, she has never cared one way or another about arm rests until she tried out my invention. At first she said, it will be removed when she drives but now she says, it stays.

Thanks for the compliment but I have to admit, my wife had a big hand in all of this. She is the one who discovered that the rubber ABS cap could be used for what I was trying to accomplish while we were strolling around Home Depot a few days ago.

I had been discussing with her for the past few months what I was trying to accomplish but we just couldn't find the right sizes in either the ABS or PVC fittings, then she spotted the rubber cap and that was what turned out to be the missing link.

One of the comfort features of my center arm rest is the fact that it can be turned inward to follow the natural angle of the arm when resting.

I like it because, like in my MX-5 Miata, I can rest my right arm on the cushion and at the same time, hold the wheel with my right hand at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position.

Last edited:
MX-5 and CX-5 is a sensational double play!

There is no doubt that in my old age (77) I am truly blessed. <><

The MX-5 is so much fun to drive and I have done a lot of mods to it over the past 2 1/2 years, including improving the suspension system. So far, my health has allowed me to do everything myself, with a bit of help from my wife, on occasion.

There is no doubt that in my old age (77) I am truly blessed. <><

The MX-5 is so much fun to drive and I have done a lot of mods to it over the past 2 1/2 years, including improving the suspension system. So far, my health has allowed me to do everything myself, with a bit of help from my wife, on occasion.

Keep on truckin :)

I've forwarded a link to this thread to Shark Tank.
How quickly can you ramp up production? ;)

Actually, I LOVE stuff like this. From concept to completed product, with imagination paving the way.

I've forwarded a link to this thread to Shark Tank.
How quickly can you ramp up production? ;)

Actually, I LOVE stuff like this. From concept to completed product, with imagination paving the way.

I'll be at Home Depot's door first thing in the morning to buy up all the rubber caps they have in stock...:) :)

I found this thread when I was searching for a solution for my 2019 CX-5 I recently got. I had issues not having an armrest like the OP. I used a black yoga block I had on hand that fits perfectly on top of the cup holders. It works perfectly. I can easily toss it someplace else if I don't want to use it or need to use the cup holders.

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Good old Yankee ingenuity.

My CX-5 arm rest is still doing its job perfectly. I really wonder why Mazda and a few other vehicle manufacturers don't think about our right arm.

I have had a few new VWs over the last few years and in most cases, their arm rests slide forward and backward, depending on what the driver and/or passenger needs. So simple but yet so effective.

Saw another thread either here or on reddit.

They had made an armrest extension out of a cupholder trashcan.

Their wife knitted/sewed some pretty comfortable cover for it.
My wife doesn't sew and neither do I.

So purchased the above cupholder trashcan $7.99,
cut off a piece of flared 3" perf drain pipe had laying around - Free
make sure to cut off about 2 inches with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the flare.
Taped with thick Gorilla double-sided tape
Cut off a piece of soft pile carpet leftover from Ollies - $1.99
Now just need to find a black tossle cap to cover it with.

eventually will cover with black leather but for now its fully functional
as an armrest... can still use the trash can and there's still room for my mug.

While the original OPs setup looks nicer, I liked the following setup better because it doesn't coverup the parking brake, controls etc.

The black hat should work temporary and hopefully it looks as nice as OPs once I finish with the black leather.

Attachments

• cup holder trash can with carpet and tape.png
    cup holder trash can with carpet and tape.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 177
  • cupholder trash can armrest top view.png
    cupholder trash can armrest top view.png
    223.8 KB · Views: 185
  • perf pipe.png
    perf pipe.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 156
  • trash can still opens.png
    trash can still opens.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
There is no doubt that your arm rest also serves double duty. Very nicely done.

My wife and I are still enjoying my version of an arm rest. We now take it for granted.

As far as getting to any of the controls underneath are concerned, since the arm rest sits high enough, there really isn't any problems reaching things such as the parking brake button, etc.....It's all about muscle memory because we don't even think about it anymore.

I am constantly making changes to our vehicles but so far, haven't been able to improve on the CX-5 arm rest, although, I have made the one on my MX-5 a bit fancier. Pic enclosed.

The one thing I would like to do to the CX-5 arm rest is to change the cover to match the white interior. However, so far, I haven't found anything that matches the white. So, black will have to do for now.

Attachments

• 20210522_173150.jpg
    20210522_173150.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 186
There is no doubt that your arm rest also serves double duty. Very nicely done.

My wife and I are still enjoying my version of an arm rest. We now take it for granted.

As far as getting to any of the controls underneath are concerned, since the arm rest sits high enough, there really isn't any problems reaching things such as the parking brake button, etc.....It's all about muscle memory because we don't even think about it anymore.

I am constantly making changes to our vehicles but so far, haven't been able to improve on the CX-5 arm rest, although, I have made the one on my MX-5 a bit fancier. Pic enclosed.

The one thing I would like to do to the CX-5 arm rest is to change the cover to match the white interior. However, so far, I haven't found anything that matches the white. So, black will have to do for now.
Yes, I really liked yours, it blends very well with the CX5 car interior...
and the MX5 is sharp.

You should be able to find an off-white cream fabric, possibly leather at Joann Fabrics or Michaels. The trick is to find someone who can still sew and has the energy to do it.

All my relatives whom can sew are in their 80's and not really into sewing at this point. So am hoping to find someone who may sew as a business and have them create a leather topper for me.

Best.

Hey, I just turned 80 and am still into it. :)

However, my wife does help me quite a bit and she is only 67. Just a child. :) :)

Just a couple of years ago she helped me install a heavy duty front anti-sway bar on the MX-5. That job required much of the front end to be removed. She kept track of my work progress regarding all the required steps and did the tool running, plus helped with the reassembly.

Fortunately, our sewing machine can handle leather and other heavy fabrics. I do some of the sewing but when it's somewhat complicated, she does it.

As far as matching the Parchment interior is concerned, I've checked with the places you mentioned and all of it is either too white or more of a beige. I just haven't had the time to look into some of the custom interior shops to see what they have on hand.

Hey, I just turned 80 and am still into it. :)

However, my wife does help me quite a bit and she is only 67. Just a child. :) :)

Just a couple of years ago she helped me install a heavy duty front anti-sway bar on the MX-5. That job required much of the front end to be removed. She kept track of my work progress regarding all the required steps and did the tool running, plus helped with the reassembly.

Fortunately, our sewing machine can handle leather and other heavy fabrics. I do some of the sewing but when it's somewhat complicated, she does it.

As far as matching the Parchment interior is concerned, I've checked with the places you mentioned and all of it is either too white or more of a beige. I just haven't had the time to look into some of the custom interior shops to see what they have on hand.
Depends on how much you want to spend...but check your local junkyard...
you can get parchment color rear seats or headrests for between $50 and $100.
$50 gets you the whole rear seat or three(3) rear headrests. Front seats and headrests are quite expensive. Or you could ask them how much for the center console / armrest in parchment.
Don't forget to specify leather. Alot of salvage don't let you pull anymore cause of insurance liability so they pull it and have it ready for you. Plus you can haggle on price somewhat.

Luckily I can get a square foot of black leather from Joann's for $15...but the junkyard was always my 2nd option

Last edited:
Back