US Diesel's big splash introduction

May take a while as Mazda now is busy to find out the cause of the overheating problem on gen-2 CX-5 with SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel in Taiwan and have to stop the sale on popular CX-5 diesel for 2019 MY there:
that's funny... because I was just in Taiwan for a few weeks and went to check out 2.2L diesel CX5 at Mazda dealer there and they said they stopped selling that engine option but never really explained why.

that's funny... because I was just in Taiwan for a few weeks and went to check out 2.2L diesel CX5 at Mazda dealer there and they said they stopped selling that engine option but never really explained why.
If you're in Taiwan before you should know most people buying more expensive imports are getting diesel as diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline there. Watch the YouTube video I posted, I assume you can understand Mandarin, and you'll hear the reviewer toward the end explains why Mazda in Taiwan doesn't offer more popular 2019 diesel CX-5 anymore - overheating.

If you're in Taiwan before you should know most people buying more expensive imports are getting diesel as diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline there. Watch the YouTube video I posted, I assume you can understand Mandarin, and you'll hear the reviewer toward the end explains why Mazda in Taiwan doesn't offer more popular 2019 diesel CX-5 anymore - overheating.

Is this the 190ps version?

May take a while as Mazda now is busy to find out the cause of the overheating problem on gen-2 CX-5 with SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel in Taiwan and have to stop the sale on popular CX-5 diesel for 2019 MY there:

Must be an issue there only because no reports of over-heating here and we have the updated engine.

Japan also has the updated engine and a search on Google brings up no such issues at this time

Must be an issue there only because no reports of over-heating here and we have the updated engine.

Japan also has the updated engine and a search on Google brings up no such issues at this time
I googled for you and there're many news and discussions in Taiwan on overheating and blown head gasket incidents from 2014~2016 diesel CX-5 with as low as 60,000 km / 37,500 miles since September last year. Mazda in Taiwan hasn't got any resolutions from Mazda Japan, and the reputation of diesel CX-5 has been ruined because of this hence the stop-sale on 2019 diesel CX-5. The similar incidents are also happening in Thailand and Mazda in Thailand has extended powertrain warranty to cover any diesel problems. You can use Google translator to read them if you're interested:

Mazda 柴油車引擎出問題,馬自達:總社調查中並提供免費檢修!

請問柴油引擎災情有後續進度嗎?

CX-5的車主生氣了!

Mazda柴油引擎的高里程的隱憂

二代柴馬CX5要退單嗎? 看到一代柴馬六萬公里換引擎要二十萬元

And there's a Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan on FaceBook which has full of complains on weak windshield and problematic SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. The problems on diesel are ranging from oil dilution、failed transmission、DPF regeneration issue、and engine overheating without any warning light which makes head gasket blown.

Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan FaceBook

I googled for you and there're many news and discussions in Taiwan on overheating and blown head gasket incidents from 2014~2016 diesel CX-5 with as low as 60,000 km / 37,500 miles since September last year. Mazda in Taiwan hasn't got any resolutions from Mazda Japan, and the reputation of diesel CX-5 has been ruined because of this hence the stop-sale on 2019 diesel CX-5. The similar incidents are also happening in Thailand and Mazda in Thailand has extended powertrain warranty to cover any diesel problems. You can use Google translator to read them if you're interested:

Mazda 柴油車引擎出問題,馬自達:總社調查中並提供免費檢修!

請問柴油引擎災情有後續進度嗎?

CX-5的車主生氣了!

Mazda柴油引擎的高里程的隱憂

二代柴馬CX5要退單嗎? 看到一代柴馬六萬公里換引擎要二十萬元

And there's a Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan on FaceBook which has full of complains on weak windshield and problematic SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel. The problems on diesel are ranging from oil dilution、failed transmission、DPF regeneration issue、and engine overheating without any warning light which makes head gasket blown.

Mazda CX-5 SOS Group Taiwan FaceBook
Again only in Taiwan.

So far the rest of the world is fine with the new engine.

The sky is not falling. No need to cause unnecessary panick.

Also that is the old model which that issue and others is already well known

Last edited:
Again only in Taiwan.

So far the rest of the world is fine with the new engine.

The sky is not falling. No need to cause unnecessary panick.
The news said the same issues are happening in Thailand too. The deisel CX-5 owners in Taiwan are worried that Mazda Japan so far cant resolve the issues but only gives them a new engine, but they dont know how long the new engine can last! And you keep saying new engine, tell me what has been changed on 2.2L diesel since 2014~2016 MY other than those failed diesels are having more miles?

The news said the same issues are happening in Thailand too. The deisel CX-5 owners in Taiwan are worried that Mazda Japan so far can’t resolve the issues but only gives them a new engine, but they don’t know how long the new engine can last! And you keep saying “new engine”, tell me what has been changed on 2.2L diesel since 2014~2016 MY other than those failed diesels are having more miles?

The engine is very popular in Europe and there have been no engine problems since the camshaft were beefed up several years ago. There’s no need to embellish the story.

The news said the same issues are happening in Thailand too. The deisel CX-5 owners in Taiwan are worried that Mazda Japan so far can’t resolve the issues but only gives them a new engine, but they don’t know how long the new engine can last! And you keep saying “new engine”, tell me what has been changed on 2.2L diesel since 2014~2016 MY other than those failed diesels are having more miles?
KF diesels since 2017, no such reports. Ask Anchorman. Owned 2 of them.

Also Taiwan and Thailand environments are different, could be because of that.

Why no issues reported in Europe with KF diesels (uhm)

Until if becomes widespread like the diesel issues of 2012-2016, then at this time it's not a widespread issue and there is no need to cause undue panick.

The engine is very popular in Europe and there have been no engine problems since the camshaft were beefed up several years ago. There’s no need to embellish the story.
100% agree. Just because of some issues at this time doesn't mean everyone has an issue. It's scare mongering. Which may lead to mass hysteria

Until if becomes widespread like the diesel issues of 2012-2016, then at this time it's not a widespread issue and there is no need to cause undue panick.

Touch!

The first one did 9000 miles and this one has done 2000 miles. Compared to the 2016 that got stolen, neither dilute the oil and both have much shorter (rarely noticeable) regens of the particulate filter. On top of my experience, I’m running the U.K. CX-5 owners club on Facebook and nobody has reported any engine problems on the 2017 on models. I believe it’s evolved into a very reliable engine.

100% agree. Just because of some issues at this time doesn't mean everyone has an issue. It's scare mongering. Which may lead to mass hysteria

Agree. You know Y, you could work for the Daily Mail or those other British newspapers that try to convince their readers that the world is ending.

Touch!

The first one did 9000 miles and this one has done 2000 miles. Compared to the 2016 that got stolen, neither dilute the oil and both have much shorter (rarely noticeable) regens of the particulate filter. On top of my experience, I’m running the U.K. CX-5 owners club on Facebook and nobody has reported any engine problems on the 2017 on models. I believe it’s evolved into a very reliable engine.
That is good to hear!

Agree. You know Y, you could work for the Daily Mail or those other British newspapers that try to convince their readers that the world is ending.
I am just getting a bit tired of doom and gloom, negativity etc. I try to be realistic and see it as is.

However if there is widespread issues with this version of the 2.2D then I will be in agreement and state as much. But there isn't now yet it's been portrayed as there is.

Last edited:
I am just getting a bit tired of doom and gloom, negatively etc. I try to be realistic and see it as is.

However if there is widespread issues with this version of the 2.2D then I will be in agreement and state as much. But there isn't now yet it's been portrayed as there is.

Agree. Since we do not have stats as to how many vehicles or what percentage of vehicles were affected then it’s really speculative on our part. I do wonder how many Mazda’s are sold in Taiwan? I would suspect Toyota, Mitsubishi, Suzuki and a couple of others have high sales. I may be wrong though.

Going through SE Asia, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Suzuki along with Hyundai and Kia are the big brands on the roads.

Agree. Since we do not have stats as to how many vehicles or what percentage of vehicles were affected then it’s really speculative on our part. I do wonder how many Mazda’s are sold in Taiwan? I would suspect Toyota, Mitsubishi, Suzuki and a couple of others have high sales. I may be wrong though.

Going through SE Asia, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Suzuki along with Hyundai and Kia are the big brands on the roads.

Indeed.

Could also be that Taiwan's & Thailand's configuration or use of fluids etc might be different to the rest of the world and hence causing issues there only (scratch)

That is from some facebook post. Honestly, there are some people just waiting for Mazda to fail. If this was widespread, I am sure you would be hearing about it.

Back