2017 Mazda infotainment turns off

f16joe

:
Model CX-5 Touring
Lately my infotainment will just randomly reboot. Is this something that happens occasionally or do I need to take it to the dealer to look at?

It might be worth taking out the sat nav sd card and cleaning the contacts with a cotton bud soaked in tape cleaning fluid or similar. Mine started to reboot on the latest 502 firmware and cleaning the contacts seemed to stop the reboots. Follow the path of least resistance first.

What Jonno said.

With the car off eject the card and use some safe for plastics contact cleaner and a qtip to clean the contacts on the card. Reinsert the card and eject it a couple of times to wipe the contacts inside the reader. This may fix your issue. YMMV

Lately my infotainment will just randomly reboot. Is this something that happens occasionally or do I need to take it to the dealer to look at?

If it does it frequently, get the dealer to update it's firmware

Hi, @f16joe
My suggestion as the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them take care of the issue. You do not want to damage or create a problem with the cleaning of the contact.
I am a believer that before the warranty expire not to touch anything. After that I go for it!!

Hi, @f16joe
My suggestion as the car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and have them take care of the issue. You do not want to damage or create a problem with the cleaning of the contact.
I am a believer that before the warranty expire not to touch anything. After that I go for it!!

What are you talking about? How in the world would one create an issue by cleaning the electrical contacts?

I'm just the opposite of you. I'm a firm believer that if you can fix a simple issue yourself, do it. The dealership is about the last place I would take my car, except for serious warranty issues. I've seen first hand and heard horror stories of dealerships screwing up what should have been a simple repair or screwing up something else in the process.

What are you talking about? How in the world would one create an issue by cleaning the electrical contacts?

I'm just the opposite of you. I'm a firm believer that if you can fix a simple issue yourself, do it. The dealership is about the last place I would take my car, except for serious warranty issues. I've seen first hand and heard horror stories of dealerships screwing up what should have been a simple repair or screwing up something else in the process.

So true! That was my thinking Conrad. Always eject and insert the SD card with the engine off. If it wasn't designed to be ejected and inserted again then people would never update their maps and the SD card slot would be under lock and key for only the dealer to access. I always clean the contacts on the SD cards used for my camera with no issues, so the same principle applies.

Pot luck with dealers. Some are good, others not so much (speaking from personal experience with Mazda dealers)

Here we don’t use nav and my car did the same whenever I used Bluetooth to stream music. Updated iOS and solved some mysterious Bluetooth glitch and the reboot never happened again.

To you guys who have problems with the software, what version do you have now?
v59 seems good to me. All my 3 Mazdas have it.

The infotainment system on this car is a huge disappointment. I have a '17 GT w/Tech and it's a nightmare. Constant reboots, freezes and MP3's loading whenever they feel like it. Sometimes my MP3's are available within 3 minutes of driving the car, often not for 20 minutes or so, which by then I'm already at my destination. This is a major issue for me, and if Mazda doesn't fix this, this will be my first and last Mazda. I specifically bought the top trip to enjoy all these features, including the sound system and now I'm stuck listening to the radio most of the time because as stated previously, by the time I get to my destination, the MP3 list hasn't loaded yet.

Frustrating as hell and totally unacceptable. Friends get into my car, start asking about it and want me to play some music and I have basically tell them sure...let's take a road trip to frickin Alaska and back and by then my tunes should be ready. Going to the dealer with this today. If they don't give a satisfactory solution, I'll be contacting Mazda Canada, and if they drag their feet, then Mazda JP. I had to do the same thing with my bike, after Kawasaki failed to respond, a lengthy email to Kawasaki JP, outlining my displeasure resolved an issue within a couple days, that dragged on for 4 months.

The only problem I have observed with v59 is that the beep sound might disappear on me when making selection.
Yes, I have it turned on in settings.
Other than that, no other issue so far. Much better than all the previous versions I had.
Yes, previous issues include:
Not finding SD card,
No sound from audio
Frozen in wrong screen (i.e. hit HOME, but the screen did not change because the system thought it was in HOME already...)
Cannot connect to cell phone
etc.

The infotainment system on this car is a huge disappointment. I have a '17 GT w/Tech and it's a nightmare. Constant reboots, freezes and MP3's loading whenever they feel like it. Sometimes my MP3's are available within 3 minutes of driving the car, often not for 20 minutes or so, which by then I'm already at my destination. This is a major issue for me, and if Mazda doesn't fix this, this will be my first and last Mazda. I specifically bought the top trip to enjoy all these features, including the sound system and now I'm stuck listening to the radio most of the time because as stated previously, by the time I get to my destination, the MP3 list hasn't loaded yet.

Frustrating as hell and totally unacceptable. Friends get into my car, start asking about it and want me to play some music and I have basically tell them sure...let's take a road trip to frickin Alaska and back and by then my tunes should be ready. Going to the dealer with this today. If they don't give a satisfactory solution, I'll be contacting Mazda Canada, and if they drag their feet, then Mazda JP. I had to do the same thing with my bike, after Kawasaki failed to respond, a lengthy email to Kawasaki JP, outlining my displeasure resolved an issue within a couple days, that dragged on for 4 months.

Read my post #3 for a possible solution. And YES, dirty/oxidized connections can cause your issues.

I took mine to the dealership, and they told me to take the SD card out. Problem solved. The only thing it's used for is storing map data and navigation. Use Google Maps or a better app on your phone for that sort of thing.

It seems my non- Android system in my 2018 cx-5 GT is possessed. It will change radio stations on a whim, add to favorites list, downvote my fav songs on Pandora, change to sound settings screen and so forth.
Tried the cleaning of the SD card but was only a temp fix. Was not dirty anyhow as I keep my car very clean and don't smoke.
From the outset I want to say my system is being hacked.
Not due fro a trip to the dealer just yet so any clues would be great as I have not heard of such crazyiness with other audio systems.

It seems my non- Android system in my 2018 cx-5 GT is possessed. It will change radio stations on a whim, add to favorites list, downvote my fav songs on Pandora, change to sound settings screen and so forth.
Tried the cleaning of the SD card but was only a temp fix. Was not dirty anyhow as I keep my car very clean and don't smoke.
From the outset I want to say my system is being hacked.
Not due fro a trip to the dealer just yet so any clues would be great as I have not heard of such crazyiness with other audio systems.
"Was not dirty anyhow as I keep my car very clean and don't smoke."

The cleanliness of your car, or whether you smoke or not, has nothing to do with the contacts on your SD card oxidizing and interfering with the flow of data. I don't smoke ether and I keep my car immaculate. It still smells new even though I bought it in 2016. I still had the issue until I cleaned the contacts on the card and the card reader.

How does your infotainment system behave if you remove the SD card completely?

"Was not dirty anyhow as I keep my car very clean and don't smoke."

The cleanliness of your car, or whether you smoke or not, has nothing to do with the contacts on your SD card oxidizing and interfering with the flow of data. I don't smoke ether and I keep my car immaculate. It still smells new even though I bought it in 2016. I still had the issue until I cleaned the contacts on the card and the card reader.

How does your infotainment system behave if you remove the SD card completely?
Have not tried that approach yet.

Back