Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALH availbale here on the Akera model is excellent.

Interesting to note the comment from regulators about wanting users to have the ability to run low beams only - well, thats exactly how my Akera's ALH system works - I normally run my headlights on auto which switches them on at low beam, and I have to switch them onto high beam for the ALH automatic system to allow the auto high beam to operate. It works very well indeed.

So I really dont know what the US regulators are on about.
As you can tell from her comments, she doesn't know much about ALH system!

ALH availbale here on the Akera model is excellent.

Interesting to note the comment from regulators about wanting users to have the ability to run low beams only - well, thats exactly how my Akera's ALH system works - I normally run my headlights on auto which switches them on at low beam, and I have to switch them onto high beam for the ALH automatic system to allow the auto high beam to operate. It works very well indeed.

So I really dont know what the US regulators are on about.
No one does!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Took another run at the CRV. DB meter hit 91, so something was off, definitely not 91. The CRV was, comfortable, although something I didn't notice the first time was the head room, there's space, at least an inch, but a good bounce and I don't know. Lot more headroom in my 2015. I think the 2017 CX5 may have a similar problem, lot less head room in both the Touring and GT vs the older models. Moonroofs suck but Mazda also took a chunk off the roof! The only other thing I noticed, and some reviewers pointed it out, the entertainment system lags. I was clicking between stations, moving down the dial, and there was a pause at every step, enough of a pause that I wasn't sure I was moving the dial.

Basically, it was the same experience as the first time. It handles well enough, but not as well as the Mazda which I think is also a better ride (the CRV isn't bad in any way), speed is fairly close, maybe a bit quicker, CVT is fine, it's a very comfortable interior, fair visibility except out the back, pretty dark there, and so on. It's just a comfortable good car and much easier to just drive around than my CX5 is and probably less fun in the hills oo.

I'll do a rerun in the Mazda in the next couple of days then make up my mind what do or do nothing.

Finally got to test drive the cx5 gt. Already test drove the CRV EXL. Few things about the cx5 that I wish were included....

-no remote start (we use it all the time here in s. Florida, especially on those hot days)
-infotainment screen is bleh in cx5
-lack of apple auto
-Multi angle rear camera
-no capless fuel filler
-no standard seat memory unless you get the

I have not gone with the CRV yet due to lack of incentives and dealers being stubborn about negotiating. Seems like I would need to have the premium pack on the cx5 to gain some of the features on the CRV.

I am a HUGE Mazda fan. I have a 2010 Mazda 3 S GT that still looks new. I also had a 2008 Honda CRV -EXL which I purchased new and LOVED but my ex-husband got the Honda while I got the Mazda in the divorce. We are in touch because we have a child. He drove the CRV well over 100K miles and it had no major problems. He traded it in 2 years ago for a 2015 Honda CRV- EXL with all the bells and whistles - like the one I purchased back in 2008. Before he bought the new CRV, I urged him to try Mazda's equivalent because I love my Mazda so much. He looked at CX-5's and thought they looked "cheap" and "plasticky" on the inside compared to the CRV he was used to. He loves his CRV and has not regretted the purchase. It is very well made on the inside and has been reliable.

Last edited:
Hell, if you have a CX5 now, I'd just keep it. Why trade?

No kidding, I don't understand the logic of people who trade in their 3-4 year old cars just because a new model comes out. Cars are the biggest depreciating asset one can own, drive the hell out of it until it can't go anymore. Is it really worth putting yourself thousands of dollars in debt(on top of the debt you still have on your existing model) because you HAVE TO HAVE the latest toy on the market? The main purpose of these cars is to get you from point A to point B, but I guess some people just feel the need to impress people at stoplights they'll never meet.

And if someone is seriously considering trading in their existing CX-5 for the new CX-5, then I don't know why you would consider getting another CX-5 seeing as how the new one is not that different from the older one. Get an entirely new vehicle if you're unhappy with your CX-5.

Last edited:
No kidding, I don't understand the logic of people who trade in their 3-4 year old cars just because a new model comes out. Cars are the biggest depreciating asset one can own, drive the hell out of it until it can't go anymore. Is it really worth putting yourself thousands of dollars in debt(on top of the debt you still have on your existing model) because you HAVE TO HAVE the latest toy on the market? The main purpose of these cars is to get you from point A to point B, but I guess some people just feel the need to impress people at stoplights they'll never meet.

And if someone is seriously considering trading in their existing CX-5 for the new CX-5, then I don't know why you would consider getting another CX-5 seeing as how the new one is not that different from the older one. Get an entirely new vehicle if you're unhappy with your CX-5.

I agree. I stongly disourage it. I mean if you have the means to do so without upsetting your financial plan then I guess it's not as big an issue. But I wouldn't have done it if I was rolling over debt from one loan to another, or depleting my nestegg.

Exactly. It makes no sense unless you bought into your CX5 with a 6% interest rate, have fixed your credit and been paying double on it, and LOVE the ride, but don't want to refi and would rather buy a new one so you can enjoy it for longer! I guess?

Last edited:
I agree. I stongly disourage it. I mean if you have the means to do so without upsetting your financial plan then I guess it's not as big an issue. But I wouldn't have done it if I was rolling over debt from one loan to another, or depleting my nestegg.

If you have the means to piss that money away, you have the means to buy a nicer vehicle. These are econo rides. Treat yourself to a GLK350 at the least.

If you have the means to piss that money away, you have the means to buy a nicer vehicle. These are econo rides. Treat yourself to a GLK350 at the least.

The wife had a say in it, and she's not a 'car person,' otherise we probably would have gotten a X4M40i. :dunno:

I can't understand anyone not buying a new car if they can afford too.
Two sides to every argument as usual. (burp)

For the 50th time, a 30,000 car is not an econo ride. Sorry, I disagree. An econo box is a Chevy Spark that starts at 12k.

Judgy bunch here. Some people like warranties and new cars. I know people who buy new cars all the time. Not one of them does it to impress people at lights. That's a bad statement to make and a seriously bitter view of humanity. I think it says more about you then it does new car buyers.
How many people are impressed by what others drive? Raise your hand? I see no hands....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The main purpose of these cars is to get you from point A to point B

Anyone with that belief should run to their Honda dealer and buy the CR-V because they won't understand the value proposition of the CX-5.

Is it really worth putting yourself thousands of dollars in debt(on top of the debt you still have on your existing model) because you HAVE TO HAVE the latest toy on the market?

Here we agree. So many stupid financial decisions made on cars... but ideally you'd pay cash for it and not go into debt for a vehicle. We did that for the CX-5 and it feels amazing.

No kidding, I don't understand the logic of people who trade in their 3-4 year old cars just because a new model comes out. Cars are the biggest depreciating asset one can own, drive the hell out of it until it can't go anymore. Is it really worth putting yourself thousands of dollars in debt(on top of the debt you still have on your existing model) because you HAVE TO HAVE the latest toy on the market?

I agree. I plan to keep driving the hell out of my CX-5 since its a payment away from being payed off. The only way I'll get a new car loan is for a secondary car, not a trade for a newer model year. I mean, if you have the means to do so, then sure go for it, but that's not how I do things.

The main purpose of these cars is to get you from point A to point B,

Eh? This is the difference between you and me. If I felt like that, I might have bought the Honda, but I don't so I got the CX-5.

but I guess some people just feel the need to impress people at stoplights they'll never meet.

No one impresses me at stoplights. I don't try to impress anyone at a stoplight - it's a CUV. But some of us don't view a vehicle as simply point A to point B appliances and that has nothing to do with trying to impress anyone, that's more just having that joy of driving. I love to drive, it clears my mind. Now that I have my practical, but still fun to drive vehicle payed off next month, I'll look at getting a straight up pure fun, impractical vehicle like a Miata.

What do you mean no different than the old ones? They are plenty different from my 2014. I'm sorry, but that's a ignorant statement. The technology feature differences between the new 2017's and say my 2014 is quite vast. You'll say they have same engine, therefore same car I'm sure, but I have found the engine to be great as is, and the technology feature differences between mine and the new one are huge. Plus they are bringing the diesel soon.

After driving a piece of s*** Hyundai Accent as a rental earlier this week, don't tell me my CX-5 is an econo box. It's not even close to being an econo box. Sit in a Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Chevy Spark, and others like that and then come back and say the CX-5 is an econo box. Hell, that Hyundai didn't even have a center console to put stuff in. It was a little open cubby with an armrest that pulled down on the driver seat, and cheap hard plastics everywhere.

Last edited:
Finally got to test drive the cx5 gt. Already test drove the CRV EXL. Few things about the cx5 that I wish were included....
-no capless fuel filler

When did this even become a thing? Gas caps are too difficult now?

When did this even become a thing? Gas caps are too difficult now?
Not too difficult. It's just a nice little feature and my wife will be driving it so. How difficult would it have been for Mazda to add that. It's not like an expensive part. I think Mazda dropped the ball on a few items that should have been included in the CX-5 GT where you do not have to purchase a special package like memory seats, no remote start, no apple car play, cannot use the screen while driving. Rear USB ports are hard to get to if you have a car seat in the back (my daughters seat would block it). I can get all those features on the EX-L which is not even the top on the line trim.

I don't really get what the benefit is? And don't get me started on not being able to use the screen while driving. Drove my mother in laws Jeep twice this week. Futzing with the giant screen trying to hit tiny buttons on damn near the other side of the cabin. Talk about dangerous. I'll tkae Mazda's system EVERY DAY over that crap tastic, supposedly class leading, system.

Not too difficult. It's just a nice little feature and my wife will be driving it so. How difficult would it have been for Mazda to add that. It's not like an expensive part. I think Mazda dropped the ball on a few items that should have been included in the CX-5 GT where you do not have to purchase a special package like memory seats, no remote start, no apple car play, cannot use the screen while driving. Rear USB ports are hard to get to if you have a car seat in the back (my daughters seat would block it). I can get all those features on the EX-L which is not even the top on the line trim.

I really urge you not to buy a Mazda. If you really want more # of little features like this - you can try Honda / Toyota or if that is hard to strike a deal go Nissan. They will discount a 17 probably 15% off MSRP.
For folks who have driven both and feel that the ride is very similar, you better not buy a Mazda, else we will see a negative review from you on kbb or edmunds few months down the line. If the difference in ride quality and looks and the upscale interior cannot convince you - STOP there! Spend your money where you feel its worth it.
There are fanboys who will oppose this advice but if you have driven both cars and say - Oh CRV gives me 35 features on paper and Mazda only gives 30 - that right there is a big hint you are not a Mazda customer. Even Mazda says they dont want to sell to everyone. Dont make this financial suicide. Wait for CRV rates to come down or 4th of July etc and jump on that.
Dont buy another brand car because of bad dealer experience from Honda - YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

OTOH - I saw a 17 first time in flesh, one of the biggest biggest difference is the grille - 16 grille is plastic, 17 looks very very upscale. It looks like a legit 45K car from outside and probably inside. I cant say the same for 16. Bravo Mazda you have probably given too much in MY17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back