Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy has had that Jeep Cherokee for less than a year. He wants to get rid of it already.....I didn't have the heart to tell him I told him so.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

My buddy has had that Jeep Cherokee for less than a year. He wants to get rid of it already.....I didn't have the heart to tell him I told him so.

My mother in law's is once again parked in my driveway. I drove it twice this week. I don't hate it at all. But it in comparison to my CX5? It falls short...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I agree... aside from my old Wrangler all of my cars have AFS and really appreciate having the feature on a daily basis.

I am actually looking forward to this.

Will be my first car that will have. Current 6 has stock LEDs which are still good by the way. AFS should improve on this.

I am actually looking forward to this.

Will be my first car that will have. Current 6 has stock LEDs which are still good by the way. AFS should improve on this.
Don't get AFS!

Go for the best - ALH! MAZDA i-ActivSense Adaptive LED Headlights (ALH) have much more sophisticated adapted LED matrix array without any mechanical moving parts like AFS which eventually will wear out! :)

Unfortunately the adaptive AFS isn't available in US due to legal reasons. That being said and knocking on wood.... I do have a 10 year old vehicle with AFS that still works perfectly.

Unfortunately the adaptive AFS isn't available in US due to legal reasons. That being said and knocking on wood.... I do have a 10 year old vehicle with AFS that still works perfectly.

What's the legal reason?

What's the legal reason?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...volutionary-audi-headlight-tech-banned-in-us/

"Back in January, Audi introduced a new headlight technology called "matrix-beam LED lighting" at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show. The automaker then
teased it in a Twilight-inspired (i.e., attractive vampires frolicking and partying in the woods while they consume blood) television advertisement
during this year's Super Bowl. The benefits of the technology are clear: it helps drivers see around corners and illuminates more of the road without
blinding oncoming motorists. After a brief demonstration, Car and Driver called it "[e]xtremely trick."

While you'd think government safety advocates would be clamoring for a technology that could improve roadway safety and make life simpler for drivers, they
aren't. In fact, it's actually illegal on this side of the pond.

Matrix-beam LED lighting uses multiple LEDs to allow drivers to essentially have high beams on at all times. Cameras and sensors direct the LEDs to turn
off or dim in response to what's ahead of them (i.e., oncoming traffic) to improve visibility. The problem is that in 1968 -- two years before the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration was founded -- the U.S. instituted a regulation that required all vehicle headlights to be capable of switching from
high to low-beam, a distinction eliminated by the self-adjusting Audi lights. The rule is still on the books, and the NHTSA isn't backing down from its
enforcement.

Of course, that doesn't mean NHTSA is not open to new technologies. Joan Claybrook, the first NHTSA administrator and president emeritus of Public Citizen,
a Washington-based advocacy group, told Bloomberg that companies come to them "all the time" with requests to change safety standards.

However, it isn't sold on this one because it isn't fully convinced that LEDs make roads any safer, leaning on tests that have shown that cars with LED
brake lights get rear-ended more often than those with incandescent lights.

"The idea [Audi has] is a good one, and I realize they'd make a lot of money from it," said Claybrook. But given the current budget cuts about to take
effect across the U.S. and their looming affects, she doubts "that a lighting system that dims" is "No. 1 on legislators list of things to discuss."

While the new lighting system's availability is still is question here, you can a brand new Audi A8 sedan equipped with it in Europe, though. The cost: a
mere $3000 over sticker."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...volutionary-audi-headlight-tech-banned-in-us/

"The idea [Audi has] is a good one, and I realize they'd make a lot of money from it," said Claybrook. But given the current budget cuts about to take effect across the U.S. and their looming affects, she doubts "that a lighting system that dims" is "No. 1 on legislators list of things to discuss."

While the new lighting system's availability is still is question here, you can a brand new Audi A8 sedan equipped with it in Europe, though. The cost: a mere $3000 over sticker."
It seems Ms. Claybrook is too busy for something else which is very unfortunate! Any driver can see the benefit of matrix ALH headlight system even on paper for the night driving! You don't even need a real test to figure out this ALH technology is superior than US low/high-beam headlight standard. She isn't "fully convinced that LEDs make roads any safer, leaning on tests that have shown that cars with LED brake lights get rear-ended more often than those with incandescent lights." And what the LED brake lights have anything to do with ALH system? Does that mean we should ban the LED headlight too?

And car manufactures make "a lot of money" from ALH system? As I recall ALH is a 800 option in UK. It's usually an optional equipment and if you don't like it you don't buy it! Stopping those safety technologies available for US drivers is simply unethical!

Last edited:
We have no options available on lower grades here. Hence ALH on available on top spec Akera. Decision of Mazda Australia. I guess.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

We have no options available on lower grades here. Hence ALH on available on top spec Akera. Decision of Mazda Australia. I guess.

It's too bad. Mazda has awesome tweaks for the infotainment system, but nothing to code in the cars "combox"

When I get around to it, I'll get anti-dazzle (bmw speak for ALH) activated on my BMW

It's too bad. Mazda has awesome tweaks for the infotainment system, but nothing to code in the cars "combox"

When I get around to it, I'll get anti-dazzle (bmw speak for ALH) activated.

I agree. Let us the consumer decide how we want to spec our CX-5 and that will translate to more $$$ for Mazda!

ALH availbale here on the Akera model is excellent.

Interesting to note the comment from regulators about wanting users to have the ability to run low beams only - well, thats exactly how my Akera's ALH system works - I normally run my headlights on auto which switches them on at low beam, and I have to switch them onto high beam for the ALH automatic system to allow the auto high beam to operate. It works very well indeed.

So I really dont know what the US regulators are on about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back