Help Me Decide: CX-5 vs. CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having to fuss around with a cap is the benefit. I know you are going to argue how it's a stupid little feature but I actually like it. The touch screen on the honda is very responsive where I found the mazda screen to have a lag.

Not having to fuss around with a cap is the benefit. I know you are going to argue how it's a stupid little feature but I actually like it. The touch screen on the honda is very responsive where I found the mazda screen to have a lag.

Its a decent enough feature if it works, but there are too many horror stories online with gas nozzles getting stuck in the caplass filler systems, etc. No thanks. I can unscrew a cap to avoid that.

The capless design is a cool feature. It also may not "as compatible" with some station's pumps...like Costco's.

The other issue are lots of Honda owners complaining of fuel puddles being found after parking and fuel spilling on paint more than usual.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/114...ot/85073-fuel-nozzle-gets-stuck-gas-hole.html
http://www.civicx.com/threads/gas-pump-getting-stuck.2025/
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...522-gas-hose-nozzle-jamming-when-filling.html
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-generation-tlx-2015-415/capless-fuel-filler-933379/
http://www.civicx.com/threads/gas-leaked-out-into-the-area-while-filling.1089/

With regards to the spilling issue you have to follow Honda's instructions.

From Honda's instructions:

....Insert the filler nozzle fully. When the tank is full, the nozzle clicks off automatically. Wait about 5 seconds before removing the filler nozzle

That said many Honda owners are actually waiting anywhere from 5-20 seconds. If that's truly the case I'd probably just prefer a conventional cap. Here's a link where Honda owners are discussing how long you should wait/ seconds to count.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/anybody-having-problems-with-cap-less-gas-tank.5331/

Check out what this guy said in that thread:
"Not a fan of the new capless design. I follow the instructions, wait 5 to 10 seconds, etc. and always some gas spills into the well. Also, had an incident where a gas nozzle got stuck because the locking mechanism didn't want to disengage and release when filling up at Costco. Took 10 minutes until it finally released."

Not having to fuss around with a cap is the benefit. I know you are going to argue how it's a stupid little feature but I actually like it.

It's your opinion and you are welcome to it. I will not belittle you or your opinion. I don't care about such a feature. It doesn't mean you shouldn't.
But what happens if that breaks? I've replaced gas caps before. $12.00. I admit I don't know much about "capless".

RE: Mazda's attitude.
"This is the future, asserts Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk. "Any cars that are being made that don't have full autonomy will have negative value," he predicted in a November conference call with Wall Street analysts. "It will be like owning a horse. You're really owning it for sentimental reasons."

Not everyone thinks so. "It's not just getting from point A to point B," says Mazda's soft-spoken CEO, Masamichi Kogai, who heads up perhaps the only major automaker that is not working on autonomous cars. "Our mission is to provide the essence of driving pleasure.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joannm...-why-take-all-the-fun-out-of-it/#380320ef5a34

"It's not just getting from point A to point B," says Mazda's soft-spoken CEO, Masamichi Kogai, who heads up perhaps the only major automaker that is not working on autonomous cars. "Our mission is to provide the essence of driving pleasure.

That philosophy right there is why I chose Mazda. I get that it is not important to everyone. There is nothing wrong with the OP if they have a differing priorities such as comfort and convenience features.

Mazda is trying to be a niche car manufacturer, not everyone will find that appealing. Just means there are better choices for him than the CX-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too difficult. It's just a nice little feature and my wife will be driving it so. How difficult would it have been for Mazda to add that. It's not like an expensive part. I think Mazda dropped the ball on a few items that should have been included in the CX-5 GT where you do not have to purchase a special package like memory seats, no remote start, no apple car play, cannot use the screen while driving. Rear USB ports are hard to get to if you have a car seat in the back (my daughters seat would block it). I can get all those features on the EX-L which is not even the top on the line trim.

Don't forget the door switches which don't even illuminate at night. I can't imagine adding something like this would cost much, but yet Dave Coleman from Mazda seems to think it can compete with the Lexus, Audi and Mercedes-Benz of the world...

OTOH - I saw a 17 first time in flesh, one of the biggest biggest difference is the grille - 16 grille is plastic, 17 looks very very upscale. It looks like a legit 45K car from outside and probably inside. I cant say the same for 16. Bravo Mazda you have probably given too much in MY17.

Yep, it looks just like a $45k car alright, a mini CX-9. Pass. Thought it was a good thing to keep the looks a little different in years past.

Don't forget the door switches which don't even illuminate at night. I can't imagine adding something like this would cost much, but yet Dave Coleman from Mazda seems to think it can compete with the Lexus, Audi and Mercedes-Benz of the world...

At least they DID illuminate the door lock buttons. Wasn't so on my 2015. Baby steps...

And if you read these forums a lot you see a few who traded in their 08 mercedes SUV for the Mazda.
You see folks turning in their Volvo's for a Mazda.

Like I said - 5 out of 10 Mazdas sold are top trim, for Rav4 / CRV that number is close to 3 out of 10. Many Mazda buyers are not pulled from Nissan / Toyota or Honda but from the luxury segment.

I really urge you not to buy a Mazda. If you really want more # of little features like this - you can try Honda / Toyota or if that is hard to strike a deal go Nissan. They will discount a 17 probably 15% off MSRP.
For folks who have driven both and feel that the ride is very similar, you better not buy a Mazda, else we will see a negative review from you on kbb or edmunds few months down the line. If the difference in ride quality and looks and the upscale interior cannot convince you - STOP there! Spend your money where you feel its worth it.
There are fanboys who will oppose this advice but if you have driven both cars and say - Oh CRV gives me 35 features on paper and Mazda only gives 30 - that right there is a big hint you are not a Mazda customer. Even Mazda says they dont want to sell to everyone. Dont make this financial suicide. Wait for CRV rates to come down or 4th of July etc and jump on that.
Dont buy another brand car because of bad dealer experience from Honda - YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

OTOH - I saw a 17 first time in flesh, one of the biggest biggest difference is the grille - 16 grille is plastic, 17 looks very very upscale. It looks like a legit 45K car from outside and probably inside. I cant say the same for 16. Bravo Mazda you have probably given too much in MY17.

They are both plastic. I actually like the 2016.5 car better. No stupid pop-up, and better lines. Grill is much more sensible too. Not a 2017 fan so far, but then, I have not ridden in or driven one. Maybe they ride and drive better than they look.

Around the same time as keyless entry and push-button start. Because keys are hard to use...?

A fair point (tech advances) but a piss poor comparison. One is extremely convenient to use. The other... I'm not even sure it's really all that convenient unless you have arthritis and have a hard time opening a gas cap. Ask my wife how much she loves just leaving her key in her purse. Ask her to go back to using a key. That's a whole other level of convenience that, at least in my opinion, is in another league compared to... a gas cap. And apparently you need to learn how to use cap less by waiting xx amount of seconds? This is convenient?
Few people are "techier" than me. I am all for technology... but a gas cap, imo, doesn't need improved.
Again, I fault no one for liking this feature. But you can't compare it to keyless. I suppose I would compare it to an automatic lift gate. Another feature I don't care about. hehehe
;)

So no lights on the door at night on the CX-5? Thats weird.

So let's forget about the gas door. Why would Mazda not have a remote start available. We have summers that can be almost 100. It's nice when you can start up your car from indoors and allow it to cool . Can't be that difficult to have. Even the Mid level CRV EX has it.

The only thing I heard is that Mazda is willing to negotiate more on the CX-5 where the Honda Dealers are less inclined.

So no lights on the door at night on the CX-5? Thats weird.

So let's forget about the gas door. Why would Mazda not have a remote start available. We have summers that can be almost 100. It's nice when you can start up your car from indoors and allow it to cool . Can't be that difficult to have. Even the Mid level CRV EX has it.

The only thing I heard is that Mazda is willing to negotiate more on the CX-5 where the Honda Dealers are less inclined.

They do have remote start, it's a $500 option and is complete garbage for the price. I do agree with you that a $30kish car should have it standard these days, but the aftermarket units are so much cheaper and nicer anyways...

Idk about the negotiations, Honda has always been way easier to me on that aspect. They also offer the .9% or low financing to every deal that qualifies, not pay the asking price with no haggling, and not be able to get it. You get both...

Last edited:
Not too difficult. It's just a nice little feature and my wife will be driving it so. How difficult would it have been for Mazda to add that. It's not like an expensive part. I think Mazda dropped the ball on a few items that should have been included in the CX-5 GT where you do not have to purchase a special package like memory seats, no remote start, no apple car play, cannot use the screen while driving. Rear USB ports are hard to get to if you have a car seat in the back (my daughters seat would block it). I can get all those features on the EX-L which is not even the top on the line trim.

Sounds like you've already decided the CRV is for you. Congrats and enjoy!

They are both plastic. I actually like the 2016.5 car better. No stupid pop-up, and better lines. Grill is much more sensible too. Not a 2017 fan so far, but then, I have not ridden in or driven one. Maybe they ride and drive better than they look.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859766-The-2017-Grill

Its not plastic. Plus look at the picture closely, forget you own a 16 and tell me with a straight face the 16 horizontal chinese platic grille looks better.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859766-The-2017-Grill

Its not plastic. Plus look at the picture closely, forget you own a 16 and tell me with a straight face the 16 horizontal chinese platic grille looks better.

For me it's not a matter of matterial. The 16 grill just looks much better and less in your face. Yes the metal is nice. But the whole front end of the 17 is obnoxious looking. I think it will be modified throughout the next couple years and will be improved.

And if you read these forums a lot you see a few who traded in their 08 mercedes SUV for the Mazda.
You see folks turning in their Volvo's for a Mazda.

Like I said - 5 out of 10 Mazdas sold are top trim, for Rav4 / CRV that number is close to 3 out of 10. Many Mazda buyers are not pulled from Nissan / Toyota or Honda but from the luxury segment.

Don't forget BMW owners. Not just BMW folks switching over but many are concurrent owners of BMW and Mazda at the same time.

Oh and one of Mazda's current designers worked at Mazda in the mid 90's, moved to BMW leading design teams for 13 years, and is now back with Mazda. Hence some styling cues were borrowed from BMW. http://www.automobilemag.com/news/mazda-europe-rehires-designer-who-spent-13-years-at-bmw-253503/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back