video of adding soundproofing to CX-5 and dB level measuring before / after

Noico mat lightly pressed by hand to untreated inner surfaces is considered soundproofing? I guess, by Russian standards... This material has to be rolled onto de-greased surface. It has texture on the aluminum side to judge the quality of the rolling job, has to be flat after installation. The coverage should be no more then 50% of each panel, in strategic places to lower panel's resonance frequency. This material, as well as Dynamat and others does just that, and sucks at soundproofing. Soundproofing means adding a layer of closed cell foam or other acoustic gasket material on top of that, then cover the gasket with MLV, mass-loaded vinyl. Then you get soundproofing, if done correctly. What is shown in the video is a huge waste of customer's money for the obtained effect and the quality of workmanship.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Noico mat lightly pressed by hand to untreated inner surfaces is considered soundproofing? I guess, by Russian standards... This material has to be rolled onto de-greased surface. It has texture on the aluminum side to judge the quality of the rolling job, has to be flat after installation. The coverage should be no more then 50% of each panel, in strategic places to lower panel's resonance frequency. This material, as well as Dynamat and others does just that, and sucks at soundproofing. Soundproofing means adding a layer of closed cell foam or other acoustic gasket material on top of that, then cover the gasket with MLV, mass-loaded vinyl. Then you get soundproofing, if done correctly. What is shown in the video is a huge waste of customer's money for the obtained effect and the quality of workmanship.

Not to mention his mpg will suck.

well, I will agree that the resonance of the roof above the front, and possibly the rear, seats in a non-sunroof Touring definitely needs something on the metal roof. The other day, it was raining and the sound of rain drops hitting the roof was rather annoying and it sounded as if there were no headliner at all.

I want to assume that Mazda did very little sound deadening on the roof as well as leaving off other products like the (shredded) cotton mat out of the headliner/roof cavity to cut down not just on rain noise, but wind and road noise as well.

I have a feeling I will be dropping the headliner in the future to apply some "more" sound deadener to the front half of the roof. However, to do this, I have to convince the wife to let me tinker and drop the headliner, just enough to get the material in sufficient quantity installed above the seats. I just need something to remove the hollow, tin can sounds when (biggish) rain drops are hitting the roof.

Has anyone else thought rain sounds loud on a non-sunroof CX-5?

I've been noticing rain on the windshield is much louder than in other vehicles, it's actually kind of nice. I have a GT with moonroof and do not notice "excessive" sound from anywhere else. I'm impressed at anyone installing sound insulation, I guess the pre-2016 models must be quite a bit louder. I've never been a fan of overly quiet vehicles, my cx-5 is just about perfect in that regard. It's almost too quiet, compared to my last vehicle it's a bit harder to tell what other vehicles are nearby by sound alone.

Wow! This CX-5 will never be the same. I already can hear more rattles and squeaks after dismantling the inside. I'd rather sell my 2016.5 and get a 2017 than doing this. How much do think this guy paid for this job?

Wow, that's a crazy amount of work just to reduce the interior sound by a few dB!

Wow, just wow. And I thought the folks living around me driving CX-5s were out there. Lol

Wow, that's a crazy amount of work just to reduce the interior sound by a few dB!

Agreed !! wow that's a lot of work and added weight , not worth the hassle and money......
also new squeaks and rattles will occur now since panel fastners are not as tight and secure as before.

might as well get the 2017 than to do this....

50%?...shoot for the Noico I found that 25-30% coverage targeting the central areas of the metal significantly changes the tone when tapping it. No more coverage is required imho. MLV does the heavy load of the soundproof work...literally LOL.

Not to mention his mpg will suck.

Hyperbole. Do your mpgs tank when you have the added weight of a passenger (who likely weighs more than the added weight of the sound deadening)?

Since the dB scale is logarithmic "a few dB" is actually a big difference.

I do wonder why they measure the sound on different devices. To me, that makes the results suspect.

Wow! This CX-5 will never be the same. I already can hear more rattles and squeaks after dismantling the inside. I'd rather sell my 2016.5 and get a 2017 than doing this. How much do think this guy paid for this job?

It is interesting that they only applied the sound deadener to the metal parts and did not put any on the plastic pieces when they had them out. I know we did not see all of the work, but it does appear that they skipped the side panels, door panels and roof.

If Mazda wants to move up-market, they will need to apply more sound deadener and sound absorbing materials than they currently do in their vehicles.

While at the Honda dealer, I noticed the new 2017 CR-V's spare tire well is covered in the (shredded) cotton mat; you know the kind that looks like denim insulation. Not just a small square, but the entire spare tire well. I guess it was a large source of interior noise.

Hyperbole. Do your mpgs tank when you have the added weight of a passenger (who likely weighs more than the added weight of the sound deadening)?

Since the dB scale is logarithmic "a few dB" is actually a big difference.

I do wonder why they measure the sound on different devices. To me, that makes the results suspect.

I'm aware of sound level properties and measurement of the same. I worked in a related field for 30 years.

While at the Honda dealer, I noticed the new 2017 CR-V's spare tire well is covered in the (shredded) cotton mat; you know the kind that looks like denim insulation. Not just a small square, but the entire spare tire well. I guess it was a large source of interior noise.

I purchased denim insulation lined with foil...can't remember where exactly. Anyways in the trunk in the spare wheel well I first layed some Noico. About 30% coverage. Then the denim insulation covered the entire spare wheel well, the sides up as high as the trunk light, and up underneath the rear seat bench. It made that rear section quieter. This is on the "loudest" 2013 model.

What about getting the bottom treated with an undercoating to lessen the road noise? I know when I test drove a Ford Edge, it was awful, but the salesman saifd they undercoated all of them before delivery and that one hadn't been done yet. I was thinking of getting done on the Mazda, just for giggles.

What about getting the bottom treated with an undercoating to lessen the road noise? I know when I test drove a Ford Edge, it was awful, but the salesman saifd they undercoated all of them before delivery and that one hadn't been done yet. I was thinking of getting done on the Mazda, just for giggles.

undercoated with what? there are dozens of products that can be put (sprayed) under the car, but what do they use? Next time you are there, ask to see one that has been sprayed and ask for the name of the product. If they aren't sure or hesitant, chances are it is more or less a money making add-on service.

The two big products I can think of are any bedliner/stone guard and the other is called lizard skin. lizard skin has two main lines - heat protection and sound control. this stuff is popular with the hot rod/resto-mod crowd.

undercoated with what?

Excellent question. There is a bedliner place right next to them, so probably whatever they use. That's where I was going to go for more information.

If it is a good product, would it be worth it? Madeline is a lease, so anything I put into her (like the front tint) is mine to enjoy for three years, and then it goes on down the road. So hoping it's not too expensive, either.

Back