1st full fill to dry tank drive

You can't be serious, can you? You think I am jealous of your CX-5 because on flat pavement at 58mph it gets 34mpg? Of all the things in this universe, you think THAT is going to make me jealous? Why don't you post a pay-stub, or a picture of something nice (Rolex, whatever), and then try that angle? You'd have more luck, depending.

Also, no, at 16-17 I was all about sexy cars, not mini-SUV's. What were you into?

I actually collect watches, guns, and bourbon....those are my loves.

At 16 or 17 I was playing ice hockey (still am) dirt bikes, music, and just hanging with my buddies.

Pay stub....nah. Investment account balance maybe. Although I did just pull my amazon account report (purchase history report) and since 2001 I have spent over $200,000 with them. UGH - not good. I need to stop buying crap.

LOL - I didn't say you were jealous - others said you WOULD be jealous :)

No kids - never had any / never wanted any. Love my job - love my company. Recently promoted to Senior Director :) Married - 20 years - love my wife. Hook up's....random ones - maybe back in my teens and early 20's (boy those were the good old days)

I weigh 220 pounds, 5'11', bald, beard, own a couple motorcycles, and have great parents.

I'd give you my johnson size but don't want you to get excited :)

Seems as if I have touched a nerve - maybe one day you'll get good miles per gallon - maybe not.

Here is a photo of my most recent random hook up >> (the one on the far left in front)

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary of said promotion. Yes, you can keep the Johnson to yourself, lol

That said, I just changed jobs myself, and am looking at a roughly 40% pay raise and better work environment. So congrats to me, although your pay stubs are markedly better, I'm sure. Funny thing is, I'm in no mans land. I can afford nice things, but not quite stoopid nice things. Noone makes things for people in that bracket it seems. Always "making do" (cx5) or "over extending" (glk350 loaded out) when you're actual middle class. Kindof a random gripe of mine.

Regards to mileage, I probably need to drive it on level ground before I get too riled. I have some training in a few months near new Orleans. Doesn't get flatter.

Firearms are my collection and hobby, but like I said, middle class America. ..I have a nice class 3 collection and some unicorns as well, because of friendships with various companies, but watches? I want a nice ceramic sub, but it's wayyyyyy down on the list. Gotta pick and choose! Can't have cutting 3dge everything in my bracket.

Last edited:
I've got a couple OK hotels in New Orleans if you need one.

Just got back from Shreveport....

Unfortunately all my guns were lost in a recent boating accident. :)

Not 1 year....it's only been 5 months. 40% pay raise on top of a better work environment ain't too shabby. I take work and work environment over dollars any day. Life is too short.

As for Mercedes....not sure if you've ever owned one - I have had 2 in my lifetime and I will tell you I'll never have another. Just underwhelmed and don't live up to the overall (MPG, Comfort, Repair Record, Cost....etc) experience. Maybe it's because I don't have a bottomless pit of money to make repairs. Maybe that's the cheap Jew in me. Or the frugal guy :)

I have about 200 bottles of bourbon, about 50 or 60 water soaked weapons and 30 odd watches.

But - my greatest possession is my family, friends, and job. I'd trade any object for those 3 in a heartbeat.

Peace on brother....and let us know how you fair when you hit the flat lands. I'm curious.

I have about 200 bottles of bourbon, about 50 or 60 water soaked weapons and 30 odd watches.

On the Bourbon, do you open them and taste or just collect? If the former, I can come visit anytime.
On the guns, how did you happen too be in a boat with all 50-60 of your weapons at the same time?
On the watches: are these mostly mechanical self-winders?

On the Bourbon, do you open them and taste or just collect? If the former, I can come visit anytime.
On the guns, how did you happen too be in a boat with all 50-60 of your weapons at the same time?
On the watches: are these mostly mechanical self-winders?

Bourbon - whether I buy expensive ($2000 Pappy 25 Year Family Reserve) or a $18 dollar bottle of Old Grand 114 - I buy to drink and I NEVER DRINK alone. Booze is for sharing.

It was a crazy fluke with the guns :)

The watches - I have Ulysse to Rolex, to Patek, Seiko Grand and Omega. Some auto, some manual, some quartz. I just love the history of watches and how they are all different. I very rarely wear one.

Bourbon - whether I buy expensive ($2000 Pappy 25 Year Family Reserve) or a $18 dollar bottle of Old Grand 114 - I buy to drink and I NEVER DRINK alone. Booze is for sharing.

OK, looks nice. But you do know that Southern Comfort is not whiskey?

OK -

I sputtered out and dumped in exactly 1 gallon. Then I filled it up to the very top - right to the top of the neck and it took 14.1 gallons.

It was 2.4 miles from the dead spot to the gas station.

So you got 36.77 MPG calculated at the pump. Impressive considering it's an AWD 2.5.

So you got 36.77 MPG calculated at the pump. Impressive considering it's an AWD 2.5.

15.1 gallons, 518.4 miles. I get 34.33 MPG. Do you have a special way of calculating MPG?

If I did that trip in my 2013 2.0L CX-5 it would have returned at least 37 mpg.

Great MPG! You might want to study up on CX-5 before running out of gas again. Your old EFI cars had a fuel pump that put out maybe 70psi of pressure and cost $100. The CX-5 has one of those too, but then followed by a high pressure fuel pump that puts out over 1000psi and costs about $1000. You manual says to fill at 1/4 tank for a reason. Running out of gas is very likely to destroy that $1000 fuel pump.

What a great thread! DBLXX & Unobtanium - it was nice to get to 'know' you. Reminded me of the last line in the movie 'Casablanca'.......Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship". Both of your civilities are showing! - (drinks)

I've got a couple OK hotels in New Orleans if you need one.

Just got back from Shreveport....

Unfortunately all my guns were lost in a recent boating accident. :)

Not 1 year....it's only been 5 months. 40% pay raise on top of a better work environment ain't too shabby. I take work and work environment over dollars any day. Life is too short.

As for Mercedes....not sure if you've ever owned one - I have had 2 in my lifetime and I will tell you I'll never have another. Just underwhelmed and don't live up to the overall (MPG, Comfort, Repair Record, Cost....etc) experience. Maybe it's because I don't have a bottomless pit of money to make repairs. Maybe that's the cheap Jew in me. Or the frugal guy :)

But - my greatest possession is my family, friends, and job. I'd trade any object for those 3 in a heartbeat.

Peace on brother....and let us know how you fair when you hit the flat lands. I'm curious.

Will do! Yeah, I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to alcohol. I view Goose and Patron as top shelf, lol. I drink less than half a dozen times a year. Typically beer. Socially.

I'm actually technically headed down to Roberts, LA. If you know where that bump in the road is? I moved from shreveport. It was...not my favorite. NWA has been much better for me!

No, firearms are where my main hobby money goes. I did drive a c6 z06 for a while though before I shifted gears to the shooting hobby.

L to R: surefire 762RC SOCOM, surefire 762 MINI SOCOM, surefire 556-212, same, surefire 556 MINI socom, SWR Spectre II .22
10856808_730700913951_7266335248915975180_o.jpg

Last edited:
No joke my friend -

I'm seriously envious. I think I got goose bumps.

No BS - if I can ever help you with hotel accommodations - just shout.

That can't be good for the fuel pump... But impressive tho!

Some concern on this thread has been expressed over the fuel pump from running the tank to virtually empty. Note I am no mechanic and am not in a position to confirm whether the CX-5 has one, but my concern is for the fuel system air pressure pump. The incident concerned my 2010 MX-5, and Mazda told me that this pump maintains air pressure in the tank. My practice since ownership in 2011 was to fill the tank to the top of the filler neck (I could see gas) to increase the range of a car which only holds 48 liters and yields poor mileage when driven hard. I was having this conversation while paying the 700$ bill to replace this pump. When check engine light came on Mazda determined that the cause was the air pump being full of fuel. They claim the only cause is from over filling.

It is my current practice with both the MX-5 and CX-5 to fill until auto shut off of the gas pump. It took 2 summers of fill-to-the-top before failure of the MX-5, but it is an expense I'm happy to avoid. Just sayin'...

Brian

My 2013 Mazda Miata PRHT has 48,000 miles on it and has always been filled to the very tippy edge of the filler neck. No issues.

I have always filled ALL of my cars to the very tippy edge of the neck because that extra 2 gallons means that I can fill up all my cars every weekend instead of having to stop during the week to fill. Honestly....don't know if it's bad or not but I have done this with every car I have ever owned starting with my 1986 Honda Civic.

P.S. - My honda civics used to take almost 4 gallons from when the nozzle would auto shut off. That's a ton of miles. My last civic (2010) would give me almost 150 miles before the needle would dip below the normal full mark.

Back