M5s marketed incorrectly?

ChEPhD

:
2014 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Most of the reviews of the Mazda5 put it in the category of minivans and then proceed to ding it for not having as much room as other minivans. Wouldn't it be better to consider the Mazda5 an intermediate-sized car, with bonus sliding rear doors and a third row for occasional extra passengers? That's how I describe it to people (since no one has ever heard of a Mazda5). I'd also consider it in the sporty station wagon category, with bonus "way-back" seating. I think if Mazda categorized it either of those ways, they'd get a lot more interest, especially from people who run screaming when they hear the word "minivan". You're welcome, Mazda.

Totally agree Mazda needs to do better marketing. I was in the market for a Mazda 6 wagon. They don't promote it here in the states either, but I was looking for a manual transmission. By pure chance the 5 showed on my search and since the only 6 wagon with a manual was 3 states away, I decided to take a closer look at the 5. Still had to drive one hour each way to get me a manual. What's wrong with America buying only automatics! Now I'm glad I got the 5 and can appreciate the advantage of the sliding doors. I think people don't "get" the 5 cause none have explained the benefits of owning one. I bet with some creative marketing they would sale lots of them.

People who run screaming when they hear the work "minivan" scream louder and run faster when they hear the word "station wagon".

People who run screaming when they hear the work "minivan" scream louder and run faster when they hear the word "station wagon".
Is because a fashion statement. The progression of the family vehicle was, sedan, wagon, van, minivan, SUV. None use legwarmers anymore, but some of the 80s fashion trickles down here and there in the fashion world. I think the 5 been almost a car, had a marketing advantage if done right. Most people would overlook the fact that it is also closer to a minivan.take the word "minivan"out and market it as a family car with sliding doors, to which is easier to get in and out of with your car carrier or small children from a parking space than any SUV or crossover. Pounce on the fact that it got good seating position, better gas mileage, and easy to park and drive. Donate a couple to Hollywood to show in a movie, and pay some selebrity to be seen with their families in it, and show that suscesfull proffesional moms go crazy about it, and you are in business.

Last edited:
Because people are shallow and care too much about what other people think of them. They also don't want to be anything like their parents so instead of picking what is best, they pick what's good enough and is deemed "cool."

Having been a station wagon owner (love them), only got the 5, due to needing the rear most seats.

Due to it having sliding doors, no one believes its a bigger mazda 3, or a station wagon.

Everyone says "hey thats a minivan" I don't care.

Then it begins why not sienna/odyssey argument.

No amount of marketing dollars spent on teh 5 will make a difference. We are in the minority. American's don't really care for the 5, marketing dollars or not

The Mz5 does not sell in the US bc it is just not big enough. Its very appeal to most here is its own achieles heel. People looking to buy a car like the Mz5 want space. In Amerika, bigger is better. They don't care about dynamics. Package it with the latest must trends/gadgets and it may get more attention. Bottom line sliding doors = van. We have cargo vans and minivans, the Mz5 is a minivan. I think the confusion is due to what we use to know as minivans becoming full-size vans (or perhaps mid-sized vans?) but these people don't want to acknowledge.

I read this somewhere and it makes a lot of sense. Grandparents generation saw the station wagon as the family car, our parents saw minivans as the family car, and the current generation see SUVs (Highlander) as the family car. They all have their merits.

But the sliding doors can work to our advantage. A guy who was unfamiliar with the car (as are most Americans) walked up to my Mz5, saw the door handle configuration, and said, "Wow! Are those suicide doors on your car?" "Yes," I said. "Yes, they are." And for that one brief shining moment, before I 'fessed up, the Mazda5 was cool.

But the sliding doors can work to our advantage. A guy who was unfamiliar with the car (as are most Americans) walked up to my Mz5, saw the door handle configuration, and said, "Wow! Are those suicide doors on your car?" "Yes," I said. "Yes, they are." And for that one brief shining moment, before I 'fessed up, the Mazda5 was cool.

Didn't realize we had suicide doors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_door

To me the mazda 5 is cool. I don't need other people's approval to drive what I want.

My secretary has a SLK55 AMG. To each their own.

Of course a Mz5 doesn't. That's why I had to 'fess up. But to that guy, it looked like cool suicide doors, so I went with it.

^^Ah I c

Yeah when I am in my Raleigh house, I meet interesting people. The south is quite interesting...

To me, you have no room to hate on my 5 if you have a vehicle with an automatic. Simple as that. Those driving auto have no room to hate on a manual :D

Not me. I'm the opposite. I'd much prefer a station wagon to a minivan. When it came time to replace my old 1991 Toyota Corolla station wagon, I was dismayed to learn that hardly anybody makes station wagons any more. I considered the Subaru Outback, but my mechanic was not impressed and cautioned me against it. Volkswagen also makes one, but likewise I've heard mixed reviews about their reliability.

I don't have a family, so I have no need for a large seating capacity. My most important criteria was that the cargo bed had to be flush with the hatch opening and rear bumper, so it can be loaded with ramps. That was an ironclad, no-compromise requirement. I looked at the CX-5, but it had a two-inch "lip" at the hatch opening, which disqualified it.

Which brings up a pet peeve: Why isn't this simple bit of information easily available? It could be listed in the specifications. "Flush cargo bed: Yes/No". Or manufacturers could show photos of the cargo bed with the hatch open. But nobody does this. The only way I can tell is to physically inspect actual cars in person.

To me, you have no room to hate on my 5 if you have a vehicle with an automatic. Simple as that. Those driving auto have no room to hate on a manual :D

Exactly! +1

When I was shopping for a replacement for my old Toyota, I naturally looked at the RAV4 as my first choice. I was stunned to learn that it was automatic only. As I did further research, I discovered that most SUVs are only available as automatics. WTF? Why? They don't even offer manuals as an option. That's ridiculous.

Manuals are a dieing breed. Not even sure if you can get a Ferrari with a clutch pedal anymore. If there was a manual 5 available when we bought ours I am sure it's what we would have went with. Must be a US thing, as a few cars that are auto-only here can be had with a manual North of here (or South, if in Detroit).

I don't think I have ever seen a Mazda 5 advertised in any way. In my neighborhood where there is a large SUV in almost every garage I have had a few people walk up to ask about the 5. The 3rd row and sliding doors are a shocker for most.

^^
Was out camping this weekend. Everybody had the big trucks, RV, SUV, or the Oddy/Sienna.

Even a friend of mine who has seen my 5 since new, when they all got in, goes "WOW this has a 3rd row?"

One of our most loyal friends who had the last gen 5 with a manual (his wife drives it), this mornign told me trading it in for a Subaru Crosstrek.

That's what in saying. People don't know the 5 this list sales. The only reason I ended up with one was because the mazda 6 wagon I wanted in manual was 3 states away. Still, to get the 5 in manual had to drive 1 hour each way. Now I think the 5 is a better choice for families than the 6 wagon. I just love the doors!

Back