The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

We are leaning toward the Subaru XV Crosstrek. Problem is the reviews say it's a little underpowered. I could always slap a turbo or supercharger on there. Not sure how the CVT trans would like it though.

We are leaning toward the Subaru XV Crosstrek. Problem is the reviews say it's a little underpowered. I could always slap a turbo or supercharger on there. Not sure how the CVT trans would like it though.

My personal opinion is to stay away from the CVT. Aside from Consumer Reports, everything I've read about Subaru's CVT hasn't been flattering. It seems like Subaru designed it for fuel economy and that's probably why reviews mention in being underpowered. Also, if you're going Subaru everyone seems to prefer the Forester. My parents are looking into the same (small CUV) and the top contenders are the Forester (meh, might as well be a Toyota), CRV (efficient, reliable, but ugly), and CX-5 (good looking and good features but expensive).

In other news, yay weather! Seriously, what the hell Ohio. I feel for you northern guys.

Got to work to see a bunch of WFH (Working From Home) emails from people fearing snowmaggedon. I replied with a WFW (Working From Work): "I put my big boy pants on today, so I'll be working from the office."

Got to work to see a bunch of WFH (Working From Home) emails from people fearing snowmaggedon. I replied with a WFW (Working From Work): "I put my big boy pants on today, so I'll be working from the office."

I'm working from home today lol.

I might work from home the rest of the week, just because.

At the office, once the snow starts coming down, I am sure they'll let us work from home, the rest of the day and tomorrow. At least Friday and Saturday, we'll be in Florida!

My personal opinion is to stay away from the CVT. Aside from Consumer Reports, everything I've read about Subaru's CVT hasn't been flattering. It seems like Subaru designed it for fuel economy and that's probably why reviews mention in being underpowered. Also, if you're going Subaru everyone seems to prefer the Forester. My parents are looking into the same (small CUV) and the top contenders are the Forester (meh, might as well be a Toyota), CRV (efficient, reliable, but ugly), and CX-5 (good looking and good features but expensive).

In other news, yay weather! Seriously, what the hell Ohio. I feel for you northern guys.

Agree with Jon on this about the CVT. No one ever looks at the cost of ownership when looking at a new car purchase. I guess it depends on your needs and wants.......

Agree with Jon on this about the CVT. No one ever looks at the cost of ownership when looking at a new car purchase. I guess it depends on your needs and wants.......
Most people put their wants over their needs. Myself included.

Just rainy here and not that cold yet. The weather man changed it from rain/snow mix to just rain. Considering he's wrong 99% of the time I expect sleet.

Everyone says everything is underpowered. For what you'll be using it for, will you actually notice?

And chances are the CVT will s*** its pants if you did that.

Everyone says everything is underpowered.

It's getting annoying reading that in every car review. I can't think of one car review that doesn't complain about some lack of power except for the speed3 having too much causing massive torque steer.

It's getting annoying reading that in every car review. I can't think of one car review that doesn't complain about some lack of power except for the speed3 having too much causing massive torque steer.

Yeah. Those reviewers drive me nuts. How hard is it to hold on to the damn steering wheel when accelerating? Lol

Yeah. Those reviewers drive me nuts. How hard is it to hold on to the damn steering wheel when accelerating? Lol

maybe they have lady hands?

Forgot to add in how they praise the Focus ST for not having as much torque steer but complain it has less power and torque than the MS3

Fuckers forget that less than 10 years ago, a 4 cylinder over 200 hp was heresay. 15 years ago, 150 was hot s***.

Fuckers forget that less than 10 years ago, a 4 cylinder over 200 hp was heresay. 15 years ago, 150 was hot s***.

I don't know why but this made my day lol. Minivans are ******* fast nowadays, and a lot of cars have a lot of power! At least, more than 200 is a lot of power to me....

My biggest gripe with car reviews is they don't normalize the review to the type of car being reviewed. I.e. they praise small cars for their fuel economy but then turn right around and complain about material quality, road noise, and power. If someone is looking for a small, cheap, fuel-efficient car they should already be aware of the shortcomings ALL small cars have. I also pop a vein when they complain about ride comfort in sports cars...

Back