Debating on a 2012 CX-9 GT

jmckell

:
2012 Peral white CX-9 GT
My wife thinks it is time to trade in our 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring for something smaller. She has test drove the CX-9 GT and loves it over the Honda Pilot.

I am trying to do as much shopping and negotiating over the phone so I don't have to sit on the dealership for hour upon hours. So far the best quote I have received is $34,051.00 + TT&L for a white 2012 CX-9 GT with Nav, Rear Entertainment, power lift gate.

Good deal?

Thoughts?

When you say "something smaller," if you are ok with a 2 row vehicle, there are many many options out there. Most people buy the CX-9 because of the 3rd row if needed combined with the affordable luxury and car-like performance. With that in mind, when you drive it, it still lets you know how much it weighs.

If you don't need a 3rd row, I would point you to something like the Murano which is very nice and drives very very well, and Nissans are bulletproof.

If however you do need a 3rd row for whatever reason, or just the extra cargo room in back of the 2nd row, then yes, get the CX-9!!

We all like ours here on this forum.

Check out True Delta for reliability reports, and you will be impressed.

If you have negotiated 34 over-the-phone, you likely can do better in person.

However, it seems 34 is about what folks on here are getting for fully loaded. ( I have heard of a couple 32k folks though).

I think edmunds.com is more popular when it comes to pricing.
Visit its forum of CX9.

Thanks

My wife don't like the idea of driving a "Mini Van" She wants something smaller in size but still have the 3rd row seating.

I am now an owner of a white 2012 GT w/Nav and RES. If I am lucky I will get to drive it from time to time since this is for my wife.

CONGRATS!! did they still offer a black interior on white exterior? I heard they had discontinued that. I tried to find white outside / black inside GT with every option and they were very hard to find used when I was looking, so I had to resort to gray mica with black interior.

CONGRATS!! did they still offer a black interior on white exterior? I heard they had discontinued that. I tried to find white outside / black inside GT with every option and they were very hard to find used when I was looking, so I had to resort to gray mica with black interior.

My wife didn't want black interior, says it gets way to hot in the summer. She is happy with the "Sand" color

If you don't need a 3rd row, I would point you to something like the Murano which is very nice and drives very very well, and Nissans are bulletproof.

Don't take this wrong.....

I traded my Murano for my CX-9. I would not but a Murano again. It had issue, after issue. When my bumper to bumper warranty ran out, it started costing me lots of cash. Every Nissan service manager I dealt with tried to wiggle out of any warranty work. The final straw was when they said a transmission leak wasn't covered by the 120,000 CVT warranty. I asked, "So if all the CVT fluid leaked out and blew the CVT, that would be covered, but not the leak itself"? The service guy said, "yeah, but now the leak is recorded, so if it fails, it's on you"!

From that statement. I drove to the Mazda dealer down the street.

I babied the Murano from inception, and she still fell apart.

The few times all was right, she was a beautiful car.

But bulletproof? NOT!

For the record, the CVT transmission cannot be repaired, only replaced at around $6,000.

I've had many Nissan/Datsuns that were quite bulletproof. But my recent experience from the Murano has soured me from Nissan (at least for now).

As always, YMMV.

You must have had a lemon. My folks have had 3 Pathfinders, the most recent body, the one before that, and the one before that, and other than tire/oil changes, they have never had a single problem with any of them. Their current one has about 100k too (08 or 09 or something like that). My 03' Altima 2.5 s went to 2011 with 101k miles, had a couple recalls, but I never had to go to the dealer once for any issues other than recalls. It was the most dependable car I ever had.

As a professional in the insurance/auto industry, I also see their quality from time to time.

I think their quality exceeds Honda.

But it sounds like your Murano did have some issues. And I'm not a fan of CVT transmissions.

If you're shopping price, you might consider the Touring. You give up fog lights, turn signals on the side mirrors, some interior/exterior trim bits and swap the 20 inch wheels for 18s. Some find the ride with the 20s to be harsher and tires cost quite a bit more.

We went with the GT with NAV and RES. It is hard to give up some things when you have had them for so song in another vehicle.

You must have had a lemon.

I totally agree! As I said, I've had many "good" Nissans. I currently have an Infiniti I35 in the garage right now that has about 75K on the ticker, she looks and runs like a top! Besides being easy on the wallet, the Infiniti is freaking scary fast! Now that puppy seems bulletproof.

Years ago I sold an 88 Maxima (with about 90,00 miles on it) to a friend of mine. His kid is still driving the thing!

I do agree that Nissan makes some super cars. But based on my experience, the Murano ain't one of them!

One day I'll tell you the tale of my 240Z, she met her demise one snowy night back in the Carter administration... (yeah, I'm that old). (drinks)

I am now an owner of a white 2012 GT w/Nav and RES. If I am lucky I will get to drive it from time to time since this is for my wife.

Sorry I hijacked your thread.....

Good luck with your new car! I just got my "new" White CX9 last week. So far, so good!

See ya on the web!

The final straw was when they said a transmission leak wasn't covered by the 120,000 CVT warranty. I asked, "So if all the CVT fluid leaked out and blew the CVT, that would be covered, but not the leak itself"? The service guy said, "yeah, but now the leak is recorded, so if it fails, it's on you"!
LOL. I got to remember this. Sometimes you have to pretend not seeing things.

CVT has not been reliable since day one. Apparently, it is still like that. Honda is going CVT routine also with their "Earth Dream" technology. Good luck.
I guess Honda never really learnt from their mistake in moving to 5-speed transmission (the 5th gear did not get sufficient lubrication). Many of my
friends who owned Honda has to replace transmission before 100K. That was very "un-Honda".
I am glad that Mazda's Skyactiv technology plan does not include CVT. I don't see how the metal belt can last 100K.
Lease one, but definitely don't buy one.

LOL. I got to remember this. Sometimes you have to pretend not seeing things.

CVT has not been reliable since day one. Apparently, it is still like that. Honda is going CVT routine also with their "Earth Dream" technology. Good luck.
I guess Honda never really learnt from their mistake in moving to 5-speed transmission (the 5th gear did not get sufficient lubrication). Many of my
friends who owned Honda has to replace transmission before 100K. That was very "un-Honda".
I am glad that Mazda's Skyactiv technology plan does not include CVT. I don't see how the metal belt can last 100K.
Lease one, but definitely don't buy one.

I think (in theory at least) that a CVT transmission should be at least as reliable as a "regular" tranny. They have far fewer moving parts.

The problem is that they cannot be economically repaired. When they fail, the whole unit needs to be replaced. In addition, Muranos (AWD ones) also had a very high transfer case failure rate. The transfer case would just flat out break if overly stressed.

I really wanted to keep the Murano until the doors fell off, but I just couldn't trust her anymore. (plus my local Nissa service center sux)

Back