how to foglight mod. *with pics*

02.5MP5

:
2002.5 protege5
I have searched all over the forum, but i only found unclear instructions. So i decided to do a write up.

what you will need:
wire cutters
electric tape
wire
male and female connectors

step1:
remove negative battery terminal.
IMG_20120525_105444.jpg

step2:
take off the side panel located on the driver side dash. its just 5 clips holding it together.

step3:
locate your fog light relay underneath the driver side dash. It is a black relay with white clip. it should have some numbers on the black clip
IMG_20120525_101941.jpg

step4:
cut the red wire going into the relay and connect the new wire into the wire going into the relay.
IMG_20120525_104720.jpg

IMG_20120525_104619.jpg

step5:
The other end of the red wire just tape it up(no short circuit so you will be fine)
step:6
unplug your fog switch and locate your light green/black wire.
IMG_20120525_101910.jpg

step7:
tap your wire thats coming from the foglight relay into your fog light switch. tap it to the light green black wire.
IMG_20120525_105407.jpg

step8:
put on your battery terminal.
IMG_20120525_105459.jpg

step9:
check for results.
IMG_20120525_105516.jpg

step 10:
if everything is okay, then put your pannel back and you're done. (thumb)

Last edited:
awesome! I am about to do this. Question - in canada i have DRL's to contend with, ideally i prefer the fogs on as DRL and DRL disabled... anyone know of an easy way to disable our DRL's?

step 11: replace broken fog light

:p

but yeah, check the other thread for lots of other options. i did the reversible one. it is tough to get some of the clips off though.

thanks guys! any questions just post them up and ill try to answer them as clearly as i can!

Thanks, I'm going to do this. I appreciate the detailed write up with pics for those of us who are not that mechanically savy. This will go great with my new HID fogs when I get them installed.

There's actually 2 mods. One lets you run fogs with parking or lo's. The hi's still cut them off. The other mod is a little more involved but lets you run independent of all other lighting. I did just the one wire mod where they run with parking but cut off with hi's or when key is turned off.

Nice writeup..........

haha you are right! As soon as a mp5 pops up at my local junk yard i will be scoring foglight, but i guess i can live with it for right now.(smoke)

yeah, i have one in need of replacement too... it is now cracked all the way. i have a replacement though.. just cold out. nice battery pic too, in case we cant figure that out. your engine bay is way too clean too.

yeah, i have one in need of replacement too... it is now cracked all the way. i have a replacement though.. just cold out. nice battery pic too, in case we cant figure that out. your engine bay is way too clean too.
at least you have a replacement (lol2) i just detailed my engine bay 3 days ago..i always have to keep my car clean lol.

There's actually 2 mods. One lets you run fogs with parking or lo's. The hi's still cut them off. The other mod is a little more involved but lets you run independent of all other lighting. I did just the one wire mod where they run with parking but cut off with hi's or when key is turned off.

Nice writeup..........

I thought this one would be very simple. i mean how many people really use their high beams. Most people would prefer this method over others as it is the easier version..

thanks!!

I thought this one would be very simple. i mean how many people really use their high beams. Most people would prefer this method over others as it is the easier version..

thanks!!
Oh I did the 1 wire one too. Didn't care for them to run by themselves or be left on to run the battery down after exiting the vehicle......

Nice writeup..........

I've done the Bumble G method, 2 years ago, canadian P5 DRL etc, and my fogs are

ON with parking lights
ON with low beams
ON with high beams

OFF/ON switch works.

But I can't light up low and high beams together, anyway with HID I don't need high beams anymore.

I've done the Bumble G method, 2 years ago, canadian P5 DRL etc, and my fogs are

ON with parking lights
ON with low beams
ON with high beams

OFF/ON switch works.

But I can't light up low and high beams together, anyway with HID I don't need high beams anymore.

Anyone have the Bumble G method? Id like to do that, as im cursed with the wretched DRL's of doooom

Just did this today. Looks great with my new HID fogs. Thanks again for the how to!

okay excuse my ignorance or lack of common sence for the momment (its late) this write up allows the fogs to be on with parking lights and/or headlights. Or is this the write up to be compleatly independent? I am interested in doing which ever one I wont have to worrie about leaving them on with the car off on accident and killing my battery lol. I would love to have htem on with just the parking lights like on my GAGT.

okay excuse my ignorance or lack of common sence for the momment (its late) this write up allows the fogs to be on with parking lights and/or headlights. Or is this the write up to be compleatly independent? I am interested in doing which ever one I wont have to worrie about leaving them on with the car off on accident and killing my battery lol. I would love to have htem on with just the parking lights like on my GAGT.

The parking lights/head lights have to be on to be able to toggle the fogs with this mod.

On another note, I have HID fogs, and with this mod your keyless entry with cause your fogs to flicker. This isn't good for HID's since the frequent ballast igniting causes wear and tear. I'm going to have to reverse this mod unfortunately.

Back