Power steering failure on Mazda5 (TSB: 06-002/09)

Pump went out at 28k. Koeppel Mazda replaced it

I was waiting for the traffic out of a gas station, steering turned halfway. Once traffic cleared, I went, but the steering didn't want to turn. I thought I had a flat or busted something. Went home w/o power steering. Idiot light is on.

The next day the idiot light went out, and all is well. Scheduled my car at Koeppel Mazda anyway.

I only learned about this bad batch after I drop the car off. I mentioned the TSB to the mgr when he called me back about the problem, he acknowledged it. I was afraid it'd take weeks for me to get my car back. But they only kept the car for a day, thank god.

I was waiting for the traffic out of a gas station, steering turned halfway. Once traffic cleared, I went, but the steering didn't want to turn. I thought I had a flat or busted something. Went home w/o power steering. Idiot light is on.

The next day the idiot light went out, and all is well. Scheduled my car at Koeppel Mazda anyway.

I only learned about this bad batch after I drop the car off. I mentioned the TSB to the mgr when he called me back about the problem, he acknowledged it. I was afraid it'd take weeks for me to get my car back. But they only kept the car for a day, thank god.

I drove my car to Koeppel Mazda and they refused to replace anything unless they see the power steering light on.

My wife just had her second PS failure today in WA state... it was about 65F outside - and she was stuck on Interstate5 for a few minutes till it 'cooled down'.

She goes in tomorrow to complain and show the Mazda dealership the TSB.

I drove my car to Koeppel Mazda and they refused to replace anything unless they see the power steering light on.

That's not right. When I brought it in, I explained what happened to me 2 nights earlier. Then the tech asked me if the idiot light came on, as if it's a routine question.

My car has less than 30k, so it's still under warranty. But, regardless, I think mazda should replace yours. It's a defective part for goodness sake.

The topic of this thread is really pathetic. Mazda: you better get your act together because mass failings of the same part over and over is a sign of incompetence. If mine fails out of warranty and I end up with a $1000 bill, this will be my last Mazda. I'd seriously think twice about buying another one, too. Mazda's reaction to this is totally unacceptable. Why would power steering pumps with as few as 8,000 miles have a build up of any kind? Because they're junk, and as part of the steering system, a seriously dangerous problem IMO.

Just call Mazda USA and they said that a person buying a used 2008 Madza5
that passed the 36000 is out of luck. Not sure how we can raise awareness of this issue
with all the problems Toyota is having, I am surprise Mazda seemed uncaring a person's(family) plight.
Hopefully, more serious incidents do not occur before they change their minds.

DAMMIT!!! I have a used 2008 with 65k :(

My first incident just occured while parralell parking. Although not a very dangerous situation, sure was embaressing.

Anyways, I did the same thign shut her off, thought it was my brakes that were locked, turned it back on, then it was good.

I'll contact mazda, maybe i can talk them into fixing it for me without charge.

DAMMIT!!! I have a used 2008 with 65k :(

My first incident just occured while parralell parking. Although not a very dangerous situation, sure was embaressing.

Anyways, I did the same thign shut her off, thought it was my brakes that were locked, turned it back on, then it was good.

I'll contact mazda, maybe i can talk them into fixing it for me without charge.

I'd try the hoses first, assuming Mazda says no. What can it hurt to just try the revised hoses and then the pump if you have to? Actually, on second thought, i'd drain the fluid first, then try the revised hoses.

That's not right. When I brought it in, I explained what happened to me 2 nights earlier. Then the tech asked me if the idiot light came on, as if it's a routine question.

My car has less than 30k, so it's still under warranty. But, regardless, I think mazda should replace yours. It's a defective part for goodness sake.

My 2008 mazda5 has about 11k miles and already had several incidents with Power Steering light. I showed Koeppel Mazda the TSB but they told me to drive / toll the car while the light is on because that's the only way for them to get paid.
I'm hoping more mazda5 owners will complain to NHTSA to pressure Mazda for the recall of the power steering issue.

I showed Koeppel Mazda the TSB but they told me to drive / toll the car while the light is on because that's the only way for them to get paid

That to me that is a bad dealer, carry your digital camera and take a pic including the mileage when it happens, that to me is good evidence (dunno)

Attachments

• IMG_9099.jpg
    IMG_9099.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_9103.jpg
    IMG_9103.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 221
I went to Manhattan Automobile Company instead of Koeppel. They kept the car for a day and performed TSB 06-001/10. The vehicle was washed before returning to me. I even got a free rental car from enterprise. Overall I am very satisfied with their service.

I think koeppel is a bad car dealer and will never go back to them again.

I went to Manhattan Automobile Company instead of Koeppel. They kept the car for a day and performed TSB 06-001/10. The vehicle was washed before returning to me. I even got a free rental car from enterprise. Overall I am very satisfied with their service.

I think koeppel is a bad car dealer and will never go back to them again.

Is that the hose replacement and flush?

My wife just had her second PS failure today in WA state... it was about 65F outside - and she was stuck on Interstate5 for a few minutes till it 'cooled down'.

She goes in tomorrow to complain and show the Mazda dealership the TSB.

Update:
Our local WA Mazda dealership replaced the entire steering rack. We were given a courtesy Mazda loaner car for the week long process - but hey, now it's fine and didn't cost me a thing out of pocket.

michael.

Is that the hose replacement and flush?

Found error code C1099. They replaced the following parts as per TSB 06-001/10 and also flushed the PS system.

BBM4-32-68Z Oil Pump Service Kit
BP4L-32-47YM Pipe Assembly
9956-21-400 Gasket
0000-77-110E-01 Trans Flu
0000-77-620E-03 Brake Part
BR5S-56-496 Nut-Clip
9947-90-620 Bolt

Awesome

Could the forum keep a list of customer-friendly dealers others could check out (like as a thread?) Not sure of the potential problems. Any thoughts?

That is awesome. You know what burns me up more than anything about trying to get things fixed at a stealer? Mazda pays them for the rental car and everything else necessary to properly satisfy the customer. Why don't all dealers do that then? Are they so stupid they don't know better? Do they not give a crap about whether they do their best to satisfy you? Do they pocket the money to be spent on a rental car? This type of bad versus good service is too prevalent to not have a system of weeding the idiots out.

Back