Running new tires for more sidewall (2014 CX-5)

Hi all I have a couple questions about wheel and tire setup I have a 2014 cx5 GT with 225/50/r19
I want to run a 16 inch wheel so I get the the most sidewall possible I am open to a 17in wheel also.
I’m considering a 225/70/16 that’s a little bit of a diameter increase but I don’t want to strain my transmission or any drivetrain components. And since this is a change I don’t know if I will/ should have my odometer recalibrated to have it function correctly.

This website - Mazda CX-5 I (KE) [2011 .. 2015] - Wheel Fitment Data and Specs for USA+ - indicated that the 19's on your vehicle have a 55 aspect ratio tire, not 50.

Follow OEM standards for the 17" wheels as shown on that site.

If you want to go for 16's, 225/70/R16 will work.

Choose a rim that is around the same dimensions, 16 or 17x7 with a 50 offset will work.

Use this website to ensure that the diameter of your new tires and the width/offset of your new wheels will match OEM as closely as possible.

The speedometer can't be calibrated so you'll want to stay close to the original diameter. Also note if you go with those tires the car might feel slower if weight increases.

Last edited:
Back