Power steering failure on Mazda5 (TSB: 06-002/09)

Pip_bobo

Did anyone have the same problem like I did yesterday??

My ps stering warning light appeared and my stearing won't turn!

yes, a lot of people have this problem and Mazda is aware of it. Your power steering unit overheats and fails to perform properly. If that happens, just let your car cool off a bit and it should be fine. In any case take your car to Mazda and let them take care of it. Meanwhile they have to offer you rental vehicle.

Good luck and don't worry about it.

Dima

I had the engine stall completely on an on ramp to the highway, about a quarter of the way down. Clutch in cranked the key some 3 or 4 times till it started again just before the end of the ramp (just in time to put the wheels straight) and had no power steering for about 15 minutes. This was coumpunded by a screaming two year old in the back seat on the way to emerg. for a gash on the head.

after the kid was taken care of i went to the dealer and they flashed the ECU and said everything would be fine - till the next time it happens.

that's it, that's all.

i guess we'll see when it happens again

yes, a lot of people have this problem and Mazda is aware of it. Your power steering unit overheats and fails to perform properly. If that happens, just let your car cool off a bit and it should be fine. In any case take your car to Mazda and let them take care of it. Meanwhile they have to offer you rental vehicle.

Good luck and don't worry about it.

Dima

What is the source of the over heat condition? Just curious.

This just happened to me this past Saturday. We were stuck in traffic and all of a sudden I hear a sound from under the hood and the Power Steering light came on and I lost power. Got to our location and let the car sit for about 2 hours. Came back out, started her up and I had my power steering back.

Glad to hear that it is a known issues. Will have to take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

From a source I here there is a sensor in the power steering pump which is to detect fluid in the pump...if it does not I understand it shuts of the pump motor hence no power steering.

I here the fix is and don't recommend is to turn of the car and back on and presto you have power steering.

So the fix is replace the pump...

I understand it is not just the 5 but the 3 obviously has the same issue.....

hope this helps

How do we disable power steering? My arms could use a good daily workout! lol. (My wife just objected to this plan! Boo.)

Power steering failure on Mazda5

This thread is just an FYI. About three weeks ago, the power steering over heated twice in the same day. Both times it was able to reset itself after it cooled down, but I immediately called the dealer and they told me to bring it right in. Apparently there is a number of Mazda 3's and 5's that got a bad batch of power steering parts, causing the hoses to corrode and foul the pump over time. It seems that Mazda is well aware of this, but haven't issued any sort of recall about it. My 5 is well under warranty, though I think this is more of a "recall" issue that Mazda is taking care of. They've given me a loaner car at no charge, but my 5 has been there for 3 weeks, and it could be as long as 3 weeks more before I get my car back. Supposedly Mazda is really backlogged on these cars coming in for this same issue, so these parts are back ordered by weeks, maybe months. I'm not happy about it, but at least Mazda seems to be taking care of the situation.

Last edited:
Have had this issue several times with my own 5. It's always after it's been sitting at idle for a while, and then turned off and back on again. My dealer has parts on order for me to fix this issue once and for all.

It's not a safety issue because it only happens when the car is immediately turned on, but it can definitely make you late for work.

Any forum-member Mazda dealer employees able to look into this - possibly a TSB?

Can you please tell what are the symptoms of a failed power steering on the MZ5? does the steering become hard? will there be leaks?

I'm not yet sure but It feels like the toyota corolla 1998 steering requires less
effort than our MAZDA5 2006 these days.

Can you please tell what are the symptoms of a failed power steering on the MZ5? does the steering become hard? will there be leaks?

In my case, the steering wheel required two hands to turn and the idiot light came on.

Unlike others' experiences, mine has failed after an extended period of straight line driving.

I'm not yet sure but It feels like the toyota corolla 1998 steering requires less
effort than our MAZDA5 2006 these days.
I've always loved the subtle weighty feel of the steering on the 5, but when this problem occurs it's very, very obvious. And it's a night-and-day feeling. A car with power steering gone bad is much, much more difficult to control than a car that came stock without power steering (sorry, stating the obvious).

In my case, the steering wheel required two hands to turn and the idiot light came on.

Unlike others' experiences, mine has failed after an extended period of straight line driving.
The first time it happened for me I had my car running in park waiting to go into a car wash. It was hot out, we finally got into the self-wash and turned the car off. I sprayed 'er down etc, then got back in and the power-steering light was on and the wheel took two firm hands to move. Luckily the wash was literally across a tiny street to the Mazda dealer where I drove it strait to. The symptoms went away when they looked at it so they did nothing, but it has happened at least 4 more times since in the last 6 months. It is tough to duplicate the problem for service dudes because it's literally an off-again, on-again problem and can come and go instantaneously.

My Power Steering Quit Momentarily Too!

I'm glad to hear that this was not just something that happened to me. I had just turned a corner with no problem, drove one block and tried to turn again and boy, did I need to apply steering effort!. The warning light was on for the steering. I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. I thought it might be a computer type glitch, so I turned the engine off and restarted and walla... power steering again. As far as overheating being a problem, I have driven my 5 in much warmer weather with no problems.

I guess when I'm at the dealership again I'll let them know. Hopefully they know this is not just an isolated case with my 5 and that they know what to do to fix it.

I would just like to update that my Mazda5 has been sitting at the dealership for 5 weeks now, and they still have no realistic idea when to expect the parts.

there is no TSB yet and no recalls have been announced nor any word of intentions of doing so

the problem seems to be dominant on 05.5 through 09 mazda3s and all mazda5s... something is wrong with the power steering hoses which in turns causes the pumps to overheat and fail

the 04-05 pumps on the 3s are different than the 05.5-09s and so far nobody has talked about 04-05 issues yet so I hope that's a good thing since I have an 05.... there's a decent supply of 04-05 pumps but the 05.5-09 pumps are majorly backordered with NO ETA

the dealers are also not allowed to change just the pumps alone... they are required to replace the hoses also during the repairs... the hoses are ALSO majorly backordered with no ETA... the pumps MUST be manually phone ordered for authorization due to the major shortage and to prevent some asshole dealer from hoarding parts

the hoses and pumps have been superceded/redesigned over a dozen times, so it tells you something is up with this garbage

also, I have a feeling that mazda is going to start selling reman pumps soon because all new pumps (no matter which year of 3 or 5) you buy have a $75 core charge now

let's just hope this becomes either an extended warranty part or a recall because those ******* pumps are over $1000 each!

Latest posts

Back