Power steering failure on Mazda5 (TSB: 06-002/09)

Took in our 5 in for this this very problem. Mazda Service Manager sent me home in a rental and said that it would be a month or more before we would get our 5 back!!!

He said they called Mazda and Mazda told them to hold the car, becasue the pump was a driving hazard. The service manager told me that that there was 6-7 cars ahead of me and the pumps and hoses are backordered.

Came home and my wife went through the roof! She said, "As soon as you get it back, I want a FOR SALE sign on it" May be driving around in a Nissan Versa will change her mind and she will want the 5 back.

Came home and my wife went through the roof! She said, "As soon as you get it back, I want a FOR SALE sign on it" May be driving around in a Nissan Versa will change her mind and she will want the 5 back.

That seems a bit extreme to me. I'm really not happy with Mazda over all of this, but I really like my Mazda5 GT. If this is the only major problem over the lifetime of the car, I can live with it. It is being taken care of at no cost to me, and they did give me another Mazda5 as a rental at no cost to me. I'm satisfied with the customer service I've received so far on this, but I'm getting tired of waiting. 5+ weeks and no end in sight.

Well i have had in the last two days that the power steering has gone out on me. so i did what you guys have said shut it off then turn it back on well i did it the first time the light stayed on then i was going to go the the dealership to tell them but then my gas light came on so had to make a quick stop at the gas station, of course had to shut off the car and what you after filling up my power steering came back. But i still wanted to go to the dealer to let them know and they told me not to worry about it it will do it from time to time, all he told me to do is shut the car off for 10-15min then turn back on then it should be fine. Sooo today the dame DAMN thing happened again but i shut it off for the time he said and still no power steering(pissed)so im hoping on monday i will go to a different dealer and see what they say

Well I have not experienced this on my 07 GT. Is there a recall on it or TSB?

Dima , do you have this problem? Any other Canadian Mz5 owners experienced this?

so... this is a problem for all mazda5's huh?

i will keep an eye out for this.

everyone who has had this problem should post up the year of their vehicle.

everyone who has had this problem should post up the year of their vehicle.

+1, also please post the estimated manufacturing date (just in case). I understand *all* Mazda5s seem to be affected, yet interesting that until recently there have been more frequent posts related to this...

Thx!

Mine is a 2008 Sport. Don't have the manufacture date, since it is sitting at the dealer right now.

When I took mine in it was fine...meaning the power steering light was not on. The service manager said that they would pull the codes and that would them when and how many times the light came on. Once they confirmed the light came on and i had the problem, that's when he told me that it could be a month or more before I get my car back.

I think I am going to open a case with Mazda USA and see if they can give me some more information as to why there is such a backlog.

So i just got back from the other dealer and they said they knew about the problem and they would take mine in with no questions asked and gave me a loaner car at no cost and he said i should have it back by Thursday and in my mind I'm thinking yeah I know its going to be longer. So I got a call from the dealer and they said the part is on back order and it will be by the end of next week that iI will get my car back. Well anyway i will keep you guys posted(thumb)

Just got off the phone with Mazda USA and the rep told me the vendor that they had that produced the power steering pump, went out of business and Mazda had to go through a new vendor selection process. That caused a huge delay in getting replacement parts. The new vendor is trying to produce as many parts as they can for this issue. I told the rep that my service adviser said it could take 6-8 weeks to get the part and she said that it may take even longer.

Damn, sorry to hear that, hope they get them sooner...

The only upside you got a rental to drive, so no miles for your car. It reminds me of the 05 recall some of us 06 owners went through. I was so upset (my car was 1 month old when the recall started, and it was even 5MT, not an Auto!) yet I got a new Mazda MPV as a rental for around 8 weeks courtesy of Mazda USA. It was around the holidays, so I put tons of miles and took advantage of its size to buy and haul some large items home.

Not the best but thanks to that my insurance was on the down bracket at least...

Good luck!

this JUST came out last week finally:

TSB: 06-002/09

2007-2009 MAZDA3 AND 2007-2009 MAZDA5 - HEAVY STEERING EFFORT WITH POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON AND DTC C1099

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2009 Mazda3 vehicles (NOT including Mazdaspeed3) with VINs below (produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)

• 2007-2008 JM1BK****** 742201 - 880507
  • 2008-2009 JM1BK****** 100002 - 251982
2007-2009 Mazda5 vehicles with VINS JM1CR***** 155672 - 349055 (produced between produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
DESCRIPTION

Some customers may feel that the steering effort is hard or heavy with power steering malfunction indicator lamp illumination and DTC C1099 [ELECTRO HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST STEERING (EHPAS)] stored in memory. This problem is caused by contamination of the system from such things as corrosion getting inside the power steering line, sticking in the power steering pump, and lowering the revolution speed. The system then goes into a fail safe function.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE OUTLINE

1. Verify customer concern.​
2. Clean the steering gear box by flushing all fluid lines with 10 quarts of fluid.​
3. Remove the electric power steering oil pump assembly (A) and pipe assembly (B).
4. Replace the power steering oil pump unit (shaded part of A) on the pump assembly with oil pump kit.​
5. Install the repaired power steering oil pump assembly and new pipe assembly.​
6. Fill the pump reservoir with ATF MIII and remove air from the line.

<snip>
PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number
Description
Qty.
Note
BBM4-32-68Z
Oil Pump Service Kit
Kit consists of oil pump (B), bolts (C), joint (D), and O-ring (E).
BP4L-32-47YM
Pipe Assembly

9956-21-400
Gasket

0000-77-110E-01 or 0000-77-MERC-QT
ATF M-III
Up to 12 Quarts
<snip>

it pays 1.6 hours to do, so easy job
no longer does the entire pump unit have to be replaced, only the mechanical portion of the pump

there are plenty of the pump repair kits at the warehouse and the hoses should arrive sometime next week

parts/repairs still need to be authorized by MNAO as they don't want parts hoarding

Thanks for the info, I changed the thread title to make it more specific.

Good to know the 06s are not part of it, but my 08 is in the VIN range, so let's see.

Note: it has to happen to your car in order to make the TSB (technical service bulletin) valid, it is not a recall.

it's NOT just 5s that have this problem.. a bunch of 3s have this problem also... probably a higher percentage too

Well, it took almost 7 weeks, but I finally got my Mazda5 back from the dealer! Now that they finally have this TSB released they may have parts for people a bit quicker now. It's good that it actually got in there, as the technician also found that the transmission pan was leaking a little bit so he completely resealed it. Orange Mazda in Albany, NY was a class act on everything. Everything was done well and with professionalism.

Last edited:
(yippy) SO I got my car back after a week and a half with no issues so far but I will keep you posted if anything continues. I'm so happy to get my baby back i was so tired of stock

I called my dealer for a problem with the Air-blower (again) and the service rep I talked to asked me about my powersteering issues. His words were "half of the country is looking for these parts right now so I don't know when they'll be here." Seems to be flooded with requests for these units.

Looks like the new vendor got lucky!

Just got back from picking up our 5. Got it back in 2 1/2 weeks. A lot sooner than the 6-8 weeks I was initially told. I got a chance to talk to the tech who replaced the pump...same guy did my alignment...he said that they had 10 (5's and 3's) that had the issue and he replaced all of them. I asked him if he felt the pump was any better. He said the pump was about the same, but he said the lines were different. He said they some sort of filter caps in them to keep any gunk from flowing into the pump. He said that is what Mazda felt was causing the issue...gunk would build up in the pump causing it to work harder and overheating...he them smiled and said, "I don't buy it, but that is what I was told". He said that he owns a '06 3 and has had no issues at all. He is aware that they went to a new vendor...the one that went out of business for the '08 models.

Latest posts

Back