Power steering failure on Mazda5 (TSB: 06-002/09)

You all are SO lucky! My '08 5 has been sitting at dealership for 9 weeks - I MAY get it next week so they say. IRA Mazda has been spectacularly horrible during this whole fiasco! I have been with this dealership for 15 years since my '94 Protege, also have an '06 3 - will never go back. I'm actually getting used to my Dodge Caliber rental... http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/frown.gif

2007-2009 Mazda5 vehicles with VINS JM1CR***** 155672 - 349055 (produced between produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
DESCRIPTION

Do you mean if my VIN no. is lower than this I'm safe? I don't think I'm experiencing this....

Power steering pump

I called to book an appointment on Wed for Fri and mentioned the power steering acting up and they repalced it right away fri morning. Didn't have to wait at all. The whole assembly was split and they replaced the hyd portion of the pump and not the electrical portion.

No issues with waiting and everything works so far.

For those of us that fall under the TSB, should we keep the fluid fresh by changing it frequently, or just let it fail? I'm afraid it might fail after the warranty expires, if I service the fluid regularly...any opinions? Thanks.

Question for you who have experienced this issue: what was your mileage when it occurred? I was disappointed to find that mine is in the VIN group, and want to keep an eye on it if it isn't an actual recall. As former owner of many Chrysler products, I am REALLY familiar with TSBs of all kinds...;)

Question for you who have experienced this issue: what was your mileage when it occurred? I was disappointed to find that mine is in the VIN group, and want to keep an eye on it if it isn't an actual recall. As former owner of many Chrysler products, I am REALLY familiar with TSBs of all kinds...;)

2008 Mazda5 - It happened just under 15000 miles and has been replaced now.

2008 GT,started to act up at 7100 miles and has been replaced now.

2008 Mazda5 GT with just about 15k miles on it when it happened.

Geez I'm slow & haven't read the forums in a while.

Our power steering failed during the recent heat wave in WA as I was picking up my window regulator for my VW Golf TDI (which only exacerbated the car situations as my VW was currently out...)

So the details:
2008 M5 GT @ 7K miles and only one malfunction so far, but I'll be calling our dealership soon & posting on the local PNW Mazda forums.

michael.

My 2008.5 had this at around 7500 miles, of course with the wife driving. Good for her that she figured out to pull over and shut the car off for a few while she read thru the manual to see what the light was for. Worked fine when she restarted of course.

Still waiting of a call from my dealer to tell me all the parts are in, the kit is but the hoses are not yet. Sounds like that could be any day now.

This has happened to my wife 4 times if I remember correctly over the year and a half of ownership and to me once. It seems everyone is having different response times. Some days and others months. I'm taking mine in next week to see what they say, but I'm not leaving it to wind up with a POS loaner.

They'll just have to order the parts and I'll bring it in when they arrive and I'm not taking no for an answer. But my dealership has been extremely nice to me and accommodate me no matter what. So if they can give me something equal or better, then I'll take it.

still ok here...

however, i can hear the whine of the power stearing. maybe i should bring it in, calling it a weird noise, and see if they can replace it under warranty before it happens with the baby.

MZ5 2006 GT. So far we have not had any power steering issue. Maybe soon.

I thought I would share the following 'description of the mazda5 power steering' operation.

==============
Operation
Power Assist Mechanism Operation
• According to the steering action of the driver, the steering angle sensor detects the steering speed, and then outputs a steering speed signal to the EHPAS control module. The EHPAS control module uses the steering speed signal, vehicle speed signal, and other vehicle conditions, to determine the proper motor speed.
• Based on the motor speed determined by the EHPAS control module, the current from the motor drive circuit to the EHPAS motor is controlled to within the target current amount and the oil pump operates accordingly.
• The hydraulic pressure created by the oil pump is used to assist the shaft to turn axially. Due to this, the steering operation load on the driver is reduced.
==================

I think the system is getting too complicated. So many things can easily go wrong. Just to satisfy the requirement of constant steering effort from stationary to highway speed. lolz.

I remember my Driving instructor told me to avoid steering while vehicle is stationary. Supposed to be cruel to the linkages.

Last edited:
I remember my Driving instructor told me to avoid steering while vehicle is stationary. Supposed to be cruel to the linkages.

You are correct sir, no matter how 'power assisted' these new cars get the steering components still take a beating when the wheel is turned in a stationary position.

Now having driven for 28+ years with both assisted and unassisted, I can tell you this, you'll know for dam sure when it starts to 'go out' or 'fail'.

This is why the NTSB and DOT have NOT approved drive by wire, IF that wire happens to go bad, or fail, you are S.O.L. and can't move the car at all. However with our current system BOTH power and manual combined, if the power goes out, you can still STRONG ARM that car where you need it to go. (yes)

Peace!(rei)

I think the system is getting too complicated. So many things can easily go wrong. Just to satisfy the requirement of constant steering effort from stationary to highway speed.

.....but it feels nice... (laugh)

The 06 makes a "Ford steering wheel" type buzzing when turning, but that is pretty much it. I hope nothing happens, the driving feedback is awesome (not even a 2010 Mazda6 I rented has it)

still ok here...

however, i can hear the whine of the power stearing. maybe i should bring it in, calling it a weird noise, and see if they can replace it under warranty before it happens with the baby.

that whine is normal and that is exactly what they will tell you. You are hearing the electric pump. If your VIN falls in the TSB just go in and tell them it happened to you and they will replace/fix. About all you can do.

that whine is normal and that is exactly what they will tell you. You are hearing the electric pump. If your VIN falls in the TSB just go in and tell them it happened to you and they will replace/fix. About all you can do.

i thought it was the electric pump. it just seems to be louder. very noticeable when turning at slow speeds

I started getting a belt whine only 1 week ago - 33,000 miles. Less CCA when attempting to start the car, believed it was the alternator since the whine is low in the body and is loudest below the bumper. Was told poor CCA was dying battery not alt failing to charge batt. & whine is normal. So why is it "normal" after 4 years of silence???

BTW it is REALLY LOUD!

Back