2014 Mazda6 Sport with Sticky Steering Wheel

For several years the steering wheel in my 2014 Mazda6 Sport has been getting stickier and stickier. It's not an issue in cold weather, but in hot weather it has become intolerable. Basically no maintenance has been done, not even soap and water, but it feels like it's not a just a matter of dirt and grime. I'm attaching a few photos. The first shows how the top of the steering wheel currently looks (how all of it used to look). The rest show the reason for this post.

How can this be fixed? Thanks!

Attachments

• Mazda6 Steering Wheel 1.jpg
    Mazda6 Steering Wheel 1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Mazda6 Steering Wheel 2.jpg
    Mazda6 Steering Wheel 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Mazda6 Steering Wheel 3.jpg
    Mazda6 Steering Wheel 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Mazda6 Steering Wheel 4.jpg
    Mazda6 Steering Wheel 4.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Mazda6 Steering Wheel 5.jpg
    Mazda6 Steering Wheel 5.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 14
This happens to some rubbers over time. It happened to my PSB speakers. It's either breaking down due to the sun or due to an interaction with something on your hands (lotions, etc). In either case it's going to need a soap and water rub down, then a once over with an interior cleaner like Hybrid Solutions Inside Job. Hopefully that does it and you don't need a new wheel.

The surface of the grey areas feels like it's been eaten away. I don't put anything on my hands, but of course they sweat. Is there something that can restore the surface?

Boy am I embarrassed. Before going forward with a steering wheel cover or replacing the steering wheel, I thought I should use some soap and water. Didn't think it would make any difference, but it was cheap and easy.

It worked! Looks like new. Feels like new. Should have done this five years ago. My wife says she won't have to wash her hands any more after she drives the car . . .

Back