Zoom,Zoom, then BOOM!!!!!!

Velburg

:
94 familia / 03 spicy msp
Well I guess I will add myself to the list of engine failures.. Just driving normal and all of a sudden I hear the engine go.. I think a piston failed.I have oil comin from the backside of the engine so something broke through the block. I was having wastegate problems and I believe I was overboosting because I keep getting fuel cut off so I was being careful getting in it... Well the engine gave so I towed it home.. Well I still have my 1st gen... She still runs like a top.Crank her up and she ready to go.. I guess its time to forge... OH well, thats life of a Mazdaspeed.

a real boost gauge is essential on a car with a turbo for just such a reason. if I thought I was overboosting I just wouldn't enter boost at all.. if your wastegate actuator failed, why not just disconnect the rod and basically just have no boost?

Kansei said:
a real boost gauge is essential on a car with a turbo for just such a reason. if I thought I was overboosting I just wouldn't enter boost at all.. if your wastegate actuator failed, why not just disconnect the rod and basically just have no boost?

would that work?? i would think that would lead you to a massive vac leak at idle, probably make the car undriveable.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the car. What sort of mods did you have on it??

no, it would work.. don't disconnect the wastegate actuator from the vacuum line, that'll blow your engine seriously. you'll hit max boost. I meant disconnect the rod from the flapper for the wastegate so that it just naturally hangs open.

Nope, no warranty on the ride... It sucks but I make it through.. I work for Advance auto so Im sourcing and engine while we speak. Im goin to go ahead and forge the internals since this happen... Everything is stock on this bad boy... I just take all this in stride...I still have my 1st gen so I can still get around...

yeah as long as you can still get around, take it as an opportunity to make the car more badass than ever before!

if my car broke, I'd be way screwed.

Just a question? I can just get a engine from a p5 and just forge that.. Its the same thing correct?

Velburg said:
Just a question? I can just get a engine from a p5 and just forge that.. Its the same thing correct?

yep. check out speedcircuit or protegegarage vendors for built blocks and forged goodies... ready to go!

Velburg said:
I was having wastegate problems and I believe I was overboosting because I keep getting fuel cut off so I was being careful getting in it... Well the engine gave so I towed it home.. OH well, thats life of a Mazdaspeed.

I wouldn't blame it on the mazdaspeed because most cars that are over boosted without EMS blowup.

gl on your build...

Well thanks for all the good suggestions fellas.. I will only be down for the summer...

mh...you are hiding somethin...why getting forged?

c'mon...you liked how he extra power feels on the butt.

igdrasil said:
mh...you are hiding somethin...why getting forged?

c'mon...you liked how he extra power feels on the butt.

Damn right I do.. So why not.. If you gonna do it, do it balls out...

Any pics of the block? Even if you do forge the motor it can still fail under extreme boost or just run like crap if it keeps deonating end eventually fail again. Get some engine management to go along with your forged motor. GL.

Thats the plan with this new rebuild.. No I havent taken any pics of the block...Sooner or later I will once I start taken it apart.

i'm glad you blew the engine!!!

TIME TO FORGE!
, you'll have more fun believe me....

only thing...it always blows when you least expect it....hopefully you have the cash to fix it....

good luck

Aaarrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

my engine blew up yesterday!
i had to pick up parts all over the highway
threw a rod through the block and oil pan!
does any one know where to get a new motor?
or are there any motors that fit for a swap?
i would love to just rebuild with a bigger motor.

XhardcoreMSPX said:

Sorry to hear that, but you are in the right place my friend. Check out this thread...
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123644850&highlight=speed+circuit

There are a few other options around to, if you ask around on the forum.

XhardcoreMSPX said:
Spend the extra money and get a forged motor, of course if you can't afford that you can replace it with any 02+ protege or protege5 (the wagon) motor, you just need the middle oil pan. I think from 02+ they are all the same correct me if I'm wrong.

i was actually thinking of going rotary b13, it should fit in the engine bay. its just the engine setup is SO crammed in there to start, doesnt leave a lot of other options. that and finding a protege motor that has less than 65k seems to be hard to do. my motor blew up at 20500!!!!!(pissed)

Back