Yeah, sure, its a minivan...

Dphillips

:
08 Mazda5
So what the heck is that thing on the left!

get-attachmentaspx-1.jpg

Seems that rules for rear plates are just as lax as those for the front in CA:)

Seems that rules for rear plates are just as lax as those for the front in CA:)

Uh, Thats the dealer plate you see on the 5. We get the plates in the mail in about a month. Until that happens we have a sticker on the inside of the windsheild with all the necessary info.

As for the front plate... It all depends on how the cop feels at that particular moment. Some dont even give a damn at all.

Yeah it's that small

Is the mazda5 really that small? Or is the image 'photoshoped'

My brother-in-law has the same year odyssey and a Sienna and the 5 looks just as small next to them. The funny thing is that we're never wanting of more space...well maybe expect cubby space.

Wow never realized how small the 5 is next to those other minivans..GOT DAMN!

And we think the Mazda5 is chubby:

2010 Honda Odyssey:

Height (in) 70.0
Width (in) 77.1
Length (in) 202.1
Curb Weight (Auto): LX: 4387lb, Touring: 4640lb

2010 Mazda5:

Overall Height, in. 64.2
Overall Width, in. 69.1
Overall Length, in. 181.5
Curb Weight (Auto): 3417lb

..but the odyssey can seat 2 more passengers. And it can haul dry-walls from
home depot when its time to renovate the basement. :).

I weighed my car with my family in it (6) and it was 3920 lbs, 1740 of it on the front wheels.

None of us are over 150 lbs and I'm the heaviest in the family.

The entire scale of all vehicles has gone up probably 50% or more it seems.

I parked my 5 beside an early 80's Dodge Caravan and they were about the same size. My sister's Odyssey is just a big and wider yet that my father's "full size" 1984 Chevy Van.

My wife's 2010 3 looked about the same size as my dad's 1980 something Chevy Corsica which was supposed to be midsize.

Every year they get bigger and manufacturers put out a new "compact" to replace the former compact that grew up and got fat and bloated. Isn't Mazda getting a new 2 next year or so? That thing will probably be as big or bigger than the original Protege'.

The entire scale of all vehicles has gone up probably 50% or more it seems.

I parked my 5 beside an early 80's Dodge Caravan and they were about the same size. My sister's Odyssey is just a big and wider yet that my father's "full size" 1984 Chevy Van.

My wife's 2010 3 looked about the same size as my dad's 1980 something Chevy Corsica which was supposed to be midsize.

Every year they get bigger and manufacturers put out a new "compact" to replace the former compact that grew up and got fat and bloated. Isn't Mazda getting a new 2 next year or so? That thing will probably be as big or bigger than the original Protege'.

yup, it all gets bigger eventually. I swear, when I was in the mazda showroom last month, the 3 is as big as the old 626, and the 6 looks bigger than the millenia. even the miata is bigger than it used to be.
mazda really took a chance by dropping the MPV and bringing the 5 over. I think it was a good idea, bucking the trend.

..but the odyssey can seat 2 more passengers. And it can haul dry-walls from
home depot when its time to renovate the basement. :).

I carried a few sheets of drywall in my 5 as well, what's your point?

the famous "4x8" test of a vehicle's ability. how many times do I need to carry plywood or drywall? (actually, for me, quite a bit) but not enough that I need to buy a dedicated vehicle for it. plywood didn't fit in my MPV either. that's what a roof rack is for. oh, it's raining? guess I'll go get it next week. no big deal.
with all the money you'll save in gas w/ the 5, you could put it in a jar and save, so when you need to haul something, you could rent a truck :)
I'd like to see how many people actually would put drywall in their leather clad $35K + odyssey anyway.

I remember the 1st gen ody. IIRC, they didn't sell well, so they changed it to be closer in size/shape the chrysler minivan. ALL the Japanese makers changed their designs to reflect chrysler actually. remember the mid engined toyota?
again, credit goes to Mazda for going against the grain. they may not sell a ton of them, but they will sell whatever they make.

Latest posts

Back