Wrinkle Paint on Valve Cover Q

I'm surprised no one has mentioned powdercoating yet. As noted above, the paint will scratch pretty easily. There are some good examples shown in this thread but how long will they stay that way?
Pcoating will hold up much better.
It comes in wrinklecoat colors as well.

davens said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned powdercoating yet. As noted above, the paint will scratch pretty easily. There are some good examples shown in this thread but how long will they stay that way?
Pcoating will hold up much better.
It comes in wrinklecoat colors as well.
Yeah but how long does your VC need to be off to powdercoat? I have heard as much as 2 weeks... Painting is economical ($5+) and easy (took a couple of hours start to finish). The paint would not have scratched if I had been the one doing my engine work. It was the disregard of the mechanics at Mazda that scratched the finish. It is actually pretty durable. And it would be easy to redo if something did happen. Plus I can be proud to show people work that I did on my own car rather than work that I had done. Not to say that Powdercoating isn't good, or even better than painting. Just different...

Whatever floats your boat man...I wan't criticizing the quality of work.

I picked up a hobby powdercoating gun for $70. I was going to point people down that road.

Well yeah, that is awesome. I would like to have some powdercoating done, but I didn't want to spend the money, and I didn't have to time to have the cover off of may car. If you could do it yourself, then sweet!

Brian MP5T said:
Noo!!!! No Wrinkle!!!

Don't do it...Don't Yield to Peer Pressure!! :)
hahaha, yeah seems like everyones doing it to their VCs. Brian did you polish your VC? how long did it take?

Garrets77, thanks for the info. Wish i could get my hands on a red. I wanted to order from the net, but the cost of shipping is more expensive than the product itself. (eek2) Im thinking if you used primer would it chip off less?

powdercoating is not completely necessary...yes paint is more susceptible to chipping, BUT the valve cover isnt exactly a high traffic area, what is going to chip it?

and if anytihng does happen, being that it is wrinkle paint and you dont need a glssoy, smooth, even finish you can touch it up VERY easily...

davens said:
Whatever floats your boat man...I wan't criticizing the quality of work.

I picked up a hobby powdercoating gun for $70. I was going to point people down that road.

HUH, nice, tell us more about this gun, method of use, durability of your finished product (compared to a 400 dollar pro job), etc. I'm interested in poudercoating and got the 1200 F with ceramic (you gotta bake it, but the min baking temp is pretty low, I'll just run the engine I guess....??). But a gun and kit might be a little more effective than a key and a spray can from autozone :)
so give us info and pics (or do it, then give us info and pics :) )

johnadoo said:
hahaha, yeah seems like everyones doing it to their VCs. Brian did you polish your VC? how long did it take?

Garrets77, thanks for the info. Wish i could get my hands on a red. I wanted to order from the net, but the cost of shipping is more expensive than the product itself. (eek2) Im thinking if you used primer would it chip off less?
In the "Days" seriosly, as much time as you want...the better it will look.

Heres mine the bolts are off the heat mani cause I repainted them and there is still a hose off and what not. That pic was actually taken in the dark due to the power going out from a storm and luckily got it centered cause I couldnt see crap.

Attachments

• ProtegeVcover3 006.jpg
    ProtegeVcover3 006.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
garretts77, how has your paint held up over the past year? I'm especially interested in the exhaust manifold cover. I've read that even the 1200 degree stuff will eventually come off. If it's lasted you this long, I might consider doing it along with the valve cover.

memo79 said:
garretts77, how has your paint held up over the past year? I'm especially interested in the exhaust manifold cover. I've read that even the 1200 degree stuff will eventually come off. If it's lasted you this long, I might consider doing it along with the valve cover.

i think he totaled his car.

yup, car was gone last month, but it still looks as good as the day it was painted... I used like 5 coats of that ceramic 1200* paint, and it held up great...

I think I'll be doing this soon. I'm gonna try to do back, with the lettering left unpainted, just the thewrench did.

hmm if I did this, it'd be in either yellow or blue. Problem w/blue is I have a laser blue p5 and if it didn't match, it'd look kinda odd. I'd prefer not to do red as everyone does it. Black's just not my color. hehe.

Yes more info on the powdercoating gun :)

Brian MP5T said:
New%205.jpg

Polished matches all colors of cars.
Cut timing belt cover = honda

That makes me sad..I love your car too..

I always wondered why all honda people do that.

So you dont have to remove the entire valve cover every time you need to make a change.

How stupid would that be on Dyno Day .. Umm, hold on guys, wait... I have to take off my valve cover to move my gear a degree. Everyone go for coffee, you too mr $100.00/H Dyno operator. Go have a Dump or something, On Me, Don't worry, I'll still pay you for your time buddy, just go make a Poopy.

Back