Would SCR be a deal-killer on a 6 diesel?

igotzzoom

Contributor
:
Current: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T, Past: 2003 Mazda Protege5
We're all aware of the delays bringing the Skyactiv-D to market in the Mazda6. It's now almost a year overdue from the originally-targeted on-sale date. The latest is we're being told is that the powertrain is not meeting drivability expectations for the U.S. market. I'm wondering if this is because Mazda so far is refusing on going to a urea SCR catalyst system. Aggressive EGR application in diesels is known to affect performance, whereas going to an SCR would theoretically improve performance and drivability, but would take away the Skyactiv-D's distinction of being the only diesel on sale that doesn't require SCR. The VW TDI in the Golf and Jetta don't have SCR for 2014, but will reportedly have it for 2015.

My question for you guys is, would it be a deal-killer if the Skyactiv-D were to get SCR for the U.S. market? Would you rather have increased performance with SCR, or slightly less performance and no SCR? Personally, I'd still be interested, because I've had a positive ownership experience with Mazda, and am generally interested in diesels. I would be slightly disappointed that Mazda wasn't able to figure out how to balance performance and emissions without SCR, but it wouldn't automatically disqualify it from my consideration. What are your guys' thoughts?

Hi OP,
I drive a diesel 2014 Mazda 6 and I can not see why a diesel powered engine could not meet the expectation of the US market. Perhaps the US market expects a diesel engine car to drive like a gas/petrol powered car but they never will be the same. As long as you can accept that there is no issue.
In terms of diesel performance vs petrol, diesel has more than enough torque to set your pants on fire if you want to drive it like NASCAR. I have had the pedal to the floor and it is indeed a rocket.
In terms of fuel consumption, superior to gas any day of the week.
Hope you guys in the US get the chance to experience some diesel zoom zoom.

To let you know, I also have a 2009 Mazda 3 2.5L SP which I use for comparison between gas and diesel driving. The 3 seems to have more 'zoom' but only because the 3's engine os reving higher than the diesel 6 to get to the same speed.

And while they fiddle, Rome burns. How many potential customers have ended up in competing products because Mazda can't make a simple decison? I will buy the car when it becomes available, SCR or not. That being said, the constant vacillating is testing my patience.

Back