Will Mazda redesign the CX9 in 2011

chumanji9

Got a few questions. Is the 2010 CX9 on the 4th yr of the current model life? Will Mazda do a complete redesign of the CX9 on the 2011 model?

I doubt they would do a complete redesign since they just did a refresh. One thing they may do is boost HP for 2011. Just my take on it...

For a vehicle with lower sale volume like CX9 (compared to Accord, Camry, etc.) a model usually lasts about 6 years.
07, 08, 09 ->
mid model refresh
10, 11, 12

I am betting on 2013 for a completely new model.
EcoBoost!!! Mazda. Don't you forget that.

Ecoboost would be great. Also, the CX-9's 3.7L V6 appears in the new Mustang with over 300 HP. Two ways Mazda can introduce incremental changes to the CX-9 before a redesign which is likely a couple years away.

UPDATE: Mazda is announcing a slew of SKY engines at the NY auto show. They seem to be aimed at increasing efficiency. One is a 6 cylinder diesel targeted for a mid size car in 2012. Might be applicable to the CX-9?

Prior announcements from Mazda indicated that Mazda will achieve 15% reduction in MPG for all their vehicles through
- more extensive use of high-strength steel (think submarine grade)
- direct injection (DI) engine
- iStop tech (stop engine on red light, position pistons in the middle, restart smoothly at slight depress of gas pedal)

EcoBoost (+DI) will be nice, but I will take DI with a smile also.

Well, they may not get ecoboost. After all, Ford did sell off their majority stake in Mazda.
Think this way... where am Mazda gonna get a big V6?
The other alternative to Ford is Toyota. (as Mazda lease the Toyota hybrid tech according to recent news and many parts on CX9 are actually from Toyota suppliers).
In the end, Ford still owns 13% of Mazda. There is still "freidnship" in there somewhere...
Toyota only has a 3.5 V6 vvt-i, which has less power/torque than the MZI 3.7, albeit better efficiency. Unless, CX9 will go the V8 way, which will hurt MPG even more.

It was refreshed for 2010, so no redesign until 2012 or 2013.

My suspicion is that any engine upgrade would have been part of the 2010 refresh. This probably isn't seen as a priority. Then again, they did change the engine for the second model year, so making a change with the second year of the refresh wouldn't be inconsistent.

Major changes will be a HDD based NAV & Entertainment system with USB input.
Personalization settings option available to the user (don't have to go to the dealer)

Although unlikely, it is not unreasonable to look for alternative powertrain options in the CX-9 in the near term. Ford has recently gotten in the habit of refreshing cars quite frequently with powertrain changes sometimes coming within a year of exterior/interior refreshes. The 2011 Mustang is a good example. So is the 2010 Escape. Both of these received new powertrains one model year after significant refreshes. But a more relevant example is the CX-9 itself. It arrived as an all new vehicle for 2007 and then got bumped up to the 3.7L for the 2008 model year. Again, there probably won't be a major change for 2011 but you never know. The announcement of the Sky engines would indicate that Mazda will not be looking to Ford for Ecoboost in the long term and maybe they look at the current success of the CX-9 and figure they can sit tight for a couple more years. But I'd rather hope they are working on incremental improvements in the short term.

Good morning everyone-

Any idea when they'll announce the 2011 CX-9? My wife and I are in the market to buy, and we want to know if it'll be worth waiting for the 2011, waiting for the 2011 but buying a reduced price 2010, or just buying a 2010 right now (we're not in a big rush).

Well, if you can wait then wait until the late summer/early fall. That way you'll know what the 2011 will offer and if you decide on the 2010 you'll get a great price.

I was shocked when I learned that the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata has the DI engine. It's compression ratio is beyond 11+ (on 87 octane), which is where the extra torque/hp and MPG come from. I only wish Mazda could throw in DI on the next MZI 3.7 engine. That would definitely make CX9 stand out among its competitions.

Last edited:
During my test drives before getting the CX9. The ford flex had a regular V6 and a Twinturbo DI V6 that puts out 100 additional HP and Torque. And it still returns the same mpg as the regular V6. It would be great if mazda can do the same thing. But we will probably need AWD to handle all that power.

Back