Will a hood fit in the back of a P5?

:
2003 White P5
Hey guys,

Just picked up a Pure White P5 last week with some front end damage. Hoping to replace the hood with a junkyard one, just curious if it will fit in the back of the car!

Thanks!

I remember wondering if my windsurf board would fit inside my car or not.

It's about 8 1/2' long and I did manage to stuff it in the car with all the seats folded down and got the hatch closed.

It fit just about perfect, except I couldn't get the stick shift into reverse because it was hitting the board.
So as long as I didn't need to drive in reverse on my trip to and from the beach, I was OK.

I just used the roof rack. It was easier.

It's amazing how much crap you can stuff into and on this car.

I've brought 4' X 8' sheets of plywood home on the roof rack and 8 foot 2 X 4's fit nicely inside the car with the hatch closed.

I recently maxed out my rear hatch space.
Heres 4 wheels,boxes of parts,a sway bar, headers,and all that with my sub and amp still in there

Attachments

• 20200925_181001.jpg
    20200925_181001.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 127
Thanks for the replies guys. Coming from a 2-door, so this thing is massive to me! Just wanted to make sure my eyes weren’t bigger than my hatch lol.

And not gonna slam it haha Its lowered now to the point where I dont scrape.
I have to get on a ferry to get home so being slammed isn't feasible

I remember wondering if my windsurf board would fit inside my car or not.

It's about 8 1/2' long and I did manage to stuff it in the car with all the seats folded down and got the hatch closed.

It fit just about perfect, except I couldn't get the stick shift into reverse because it was hitting the board.
So as long as I didn't need to drive in reverse on my trip to and from the beach, I was OK.

I just used the roof rack. It was easier.

It's amazing how much crap you can stuff into and on this car.

I've brought 4' X 8' sheets of plywood home on the roof rack and 8 foot 2 X 4's fit nicely inside the car with the hatch closed.

Hey guys,

Just picked up a Pure White P5 last week with some front end damage. Hoping to replace the hood with a junkyard one, just curious if it will fit in the back of the car!

Thanks!

It's easy enough to put on/off even for one person. You can probably put it on in the parking lot (unless you also have latch issues)
You may have to return the old one for a core exchange anyway. Last time I replaced a hood I had to bring my old one back.

I usually snug them up enough to hold it in place, but not to much that it wont adjust.
Then I shut it and usually if it's off a bit as far as latch alignment goes,itll adjust when its shut. Then pop it open and tighten it down the rest of the way.

It's easy enough to put on/off even for one person. You can probably put it on in the parking lot (unless you also have latch issues)
You may have to return the old one for a core exchange anyway. Last time I replaced a hood I had to bring my old one back.

I do not have a hood latch currently, so I won’t be able to put it on right there unfortunately! Love the idea though
Thanks for the added info, very good to know for me or anybody else that may stumble upon this! (y)

I do not have a hood latch currently, so I won’t be able to put it on right there unfortunately! Love the idea though
Thanks for the added info, very good to know for me or anybody else that may stumble upon this! (y)
Get the latch (and latch support, if needed) and the hood at the same time. Pay for the hood now if you have to, because transporting them is difficult without scratching them or maybe bending them. Put the hood on where you pick it up. I did the hood of my old Chevy Impala myself, but having a friend help would make it easier. I used a big box or something to set them on on while I disconnected the old one and then put the new one on.

Get the latch (and latch support, if needed) and the hood at the same time. Pay for the hood now if you have to, because transporting them is difficult without scratching them or maybe bending them. Put the hood on where you pick it up. I did the hood of my old Chevy Impala myself, but having a friend help would make it easier. I used a big box or something to set them on on while I disconnected the old one and then put the new one on.

Not to get too in the weeds on my car in particular on this post but; Given the front end damage that I mentioned before, I do not plan to run a latch assembly.
I will be opting for a set of hood pins instead, and installing them in a junkyard parking lot isn’t something I’m brave enough to try lol.

The transportation issues you mention are exactly why I am hoping to bring it home inside the car:)

Not to get too in the weeds on my car in particular on this post but; Given the front end damage that I mentioned before, I do not plan to run a latch assembly.
I will be opting for a set of hood pins instead, and installing them in a junkyard parking lot isn’t something I’m brave enough to try lol.

The transportation issues you mention are exactly why I am hoping to bring it home inside the car:)

Don't give up on the hood latch. I have 3 front end accidents on my LX. 2 hood replacements.
The last one I used a strap and put it in reverse to pull the top rad support into the correct position. The hood latch can easily be removed and replaced, along with the vertical bar it is attached to.
My front grill is attached with zip ties. For the non-car person just looks like an old car and not one that has been in several accidents.

At least grab a new latch and the vertical bar while your at the junk yard.

Don't give up on the hood latch. I have 3 front end accidents on my LX. 2 hood replacements.
The last one I used a strap and put it in reverse to pull the top rad support into the correct position. The hood latch can easily be removed and replaced, along with the vertical bar it is attached to.
My front grill is attached with zip ties. For the non-car person just looks like an old car and not one that has been in several accidents.

At least grab a new latch and the vertical bar while your at the junk yard.

Is there a clear advantage to having an OEM latch? The radiator support is pushed in, so the vertical piece won’t line up without some work. I think the hood pins will be much easier but I am curious to hear opinions

Back