Wierd Noise

:
2002 Protege ES
hi,
Ive just installed TEIN springs on my '02 protege es, I love the look of the car, everything looks fine, however, the rear suspension is making noise. When I hit a bumb it makes a sound, it sounds like something's loose. I took it to the machanic and they told me it's natural that this noise occur becuz the strut is not use to the aftermarket springs. He also told me that the noise will go away eventually. Is this something that I sound be worry about, or is this a normal occurance?

Br0therly Love said:
hi,
Ive just installed TEIN springs on my '02 protege es, I love the look of the car, everything looks fine, however, the rear suspension is making noise. When I hit a bumb it makes a sound, it sounds like something's loose. I took it to the machanic and they told me it's natural that this noise occur becuz the strut is not use to the aftermarket springs. He also told me that the noise will go away eventually. Is this something that I sound be worry about, or is this a normal occurance?

Try this...... http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122129&highlight=washer+fix

2 likely causes after a spring install, loose nuts that hold down the spring to the upper spring mount, check to see if that bowl shaped washer is loose, try putting some extra washers if necessary.

Second cause is that because of the extra closeness of the spring coil on the top of the spring they would be smashing together producing that clunk noise. What I did (based on a post by TheMan) was buy a few sets of Tein Spring Silencer Rubbers, think 2 come per pack and 3 packs is what you'll need to do the back. Each rubber thing sits on the spring on each coil on the top helping dampen the hitting between coils.

everything seems to be tighten, I took it to the mechanic and they said I might need new brushings, and anyone confirm this?

Have you tried pushing down on the rear of the car while parked to see if you can hear anything? Try having a passenger in the rear seat while driving to see if they can pinpoint the location of the noise.

^is there a cheaper solution? I tried to put washers on top of the strut as suggested in other threads. It's really getting annoying, please help!

Back