Widest Tires on Stock Pro5 Alloys

1. Stock speedo already overreads speed by 1-2% to keep you "safe," so who cares about different speedo readings due to aftermarket tires--just get used to the difference.

2. There's more to sidewall stiffness than the aspect ratio. For example, you can find certain 205/50s with stiffer sidewalls than other 205/45s. F1 cars run 13" rims with full beef--I guarantee those sidewalls are NOT soft.

3. You can find some 195 width tires that grip better than other 205s: a better compound can overcome the width advantage. The point is there's more to it than the numbers suggest--they're just guidelines.

Wishmaster said:
Check out this link for a awesome tire/wheel size calculator... tells you exactly how much you'll be changing your speedo, diameter, etc, etc... and warns you if you are changing your overall tire/wheel size by more than 3%, which it says it not recommended, especially if you have an auto, as it can mess with your shift points. Lets you compare up to 5 tire sizes - http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

cool calculator, thanks. 215/45R16 are only .26% smaller than stock...almost identical, sweet. Some people are running 215s on 17x7 rims, I wonder if I could run 215s on my aftermarket 16x7s with a 42mm offset?

qualityrockola said:
cool calculator, thanks. 215/45R16 are only .26% smaller than stock...almost identical, sweet. Some people are running 215s on 17x7 rims, I wonder if I could run 215s on my aftermarket 16x7s with a 42mm offset?

Which car?

Mr. Win said:
Which car?

protege5... I went and looked at my car and I think they will "fit". They wont hit the struts, theres plenty of room there and Im not lowered so rubbing the outer fenderwells is unlikely. It would eliminate the possibility of lowering the car though, which ive been having second thoughts on anyway...it would rub the fenders for sure...might rub now with 195s if it went low enough so I dont know.

Last edited:
Liquid_Ag said:
195/50 = the aspect ratio is 50% of 195
205/45 = 45% of 205. it evens out to the same as stock. also i get 31 mpg mixed city/hwy driving, so i challenge everything you have just said :)

i was definately wrong on the 195/50 vs 205/45... it was never explained to me like that... and i can't believe u get 31 mpg... i got 21 on my last tank... hahaha... but now i changed my oil and used synthetic blend and installed new spark plugs and removed the stock air box and so hopefully that'll help a little bit... next time i fill up my tank i'm gonna check tire pressure too... i have a really heavy foot though... i tend to speed more than a little... hahaha

JoshP5 said:
1. Stock speedo already overreads speed by 1-2% to keep you "safe," so who cares about different speedo readings due to aftermarket tires--just get used to the difference.

2. There's more to sidewall stiffness than the aspect ratio. For example, you can find certain 205/50s with stiffer sidewalls than other 205/45s. F1 cars run 13" rims with full beef--I guarantee those sidewalls are NOT soft.

3. You can find some 195 width tires that grip better than other 205s: a better compound can overcome the width advantage. The point is there's more to it than the numbers suggest--they're just guidelines.

True, but they also mention that changing things by more thn 3% can lead to brake failure... so if you change by that much you should upgrade your brakes. knew a guy that had a big ass 4x4, switched from 16 inch wheels to stupid ass 21's with not very low pro's... first light he came too he blew right through because he didn't realize that by changing the size, weight and rolling speed and mass of his wheels that much, that his brakes wouldn't be able to handle them. Anyway, just an FYI... somthing to be carefull with.

Latest posts

Back