Why so much hype about Mazda2 weight?

MacAttack7

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)
I never really looked much at the weight of other subcompacts before, but the Mazda2 doesn't really seem like a big deal at 2306 lbs.

The Yaris is 2311, Rio 2365, Accent 2400, and they all have better horsepower/torque numbers as far as I can tell, so was the weight thing all just marketing, or am I missing something?

The 2012 Accent at 2400 lbs has 138 hp, 123 torque (that sounds pretty good).
The 2011 Yaris is 106 hp, 103 torque.
The Rio is 110 hp, 107 torque.

So what does the Mazda2 have going for it versus all these others? (besides the fact that it fit my long legs the best & I like it). All the reviews talked about the weight so much I just assumed it was way lighter than all the others, but I guess not.

Your comparing a 2 to a Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai

Driving a Mazda is different than other cars. Why they might not be the most powerful cars in the class I bet you they will be a hell of a lot more fun and handle better than anything else in its class.

s*** My 6 has the 2.3 from a Mazda 3 and weighs around 3300lbs. Yes I know its slow as hell but I bet you its alot more fun to drive than the comparable Camry, Altima, or Sonata.

My friend has a camry and i hated it. While it was more comfortable than my car the suspension was made for a 90 year old woman. haha

Another example. When the MSP came out in 03, it was one of the lowest HP cars in its class but it won comparisons because of how fun it was.

Its all about the Zoom Zoom lifestyle.

...and handle better than anything else in its class.

High Horsepower and being able to pull down the road fast is fun, sure. But if it can't do anything but go quick in a straight line, what's the point?

I bought my Mazda2 because of how well they were able to create a car that is stupidly economical and still a blast to drive.

But still, the weight may not be so significant as Mazda and other marketers made it seem, but you can't argue this car is more fun. That's what you get from a Mazda over the others.

Last edited:
lol honestly my whole arguement wth this car was weight too. i looked at the VERSA and FIT and lastly the YARIS. all 3 cars was kindda appealing to me but i came up wth this formula. with the amount im paying for i rather get a car that HAS everything that im going to need. so mz3 TOURINg has all i need. FIT was good entry car but pricing is to high and people that drives the fit is mostly GIRLS and OLD folks. so on with YARIS bot too APPEALING, on with LEAF, base price doesnt come with sht. u have to pay extra for AC ABS and such and yeah it WASNT to APPEALING either. MZ3 good price comes with AC cd aux input and such and CURVES of the CAR is SEXY!!!!

The Yaris is a last-generation product with less boot space. The old Rio and Accent are two generations behind compared to the Mazda2, and have even less boot space as well as bugger-all rear legroom.

The Mazda2 manages to be lighter, while being structurally more rigid thanks to the use of high strength steel. That's not easy to do with a modern subcompact (as the 2400 lb 2012 Accent will tell you). The funny thing is... even if it's not that much lighter than a Yaris, it feels lighter than a Yaris, and that is reflected in the way it drives. Stiffer, lighter, more capable... what's not to like? You can always add a little more power to a slow car, but it's awful hard to polish a turd... (those of you who've had the (dis)pleasure to drive a modified Yaris will understand...)

Last edited:
Well there are some hidden items here. The weights specified are the base models without options that I require in a car:

The Rio is 2365, but that does not include air conditioner nor ABS. (or power windows, etc. for that matter). All of those add weight.

the Yaris at 2311 does not have a radio nor any of the power conveniences. The 5-door version is 2320 (plus the weight of adding a radio) and is closest to the 2.

The 2012 Accent is nice, but also does not include air, a radio, or power anything. Putting all of those on puts it to 2,564 lbs.

With the Mazda2 being at 2306, it does it with air, power windows and door locks, ABS, and a cd-player.

As a GM. Ford guy I really appreciate the effort they but into the car to keep the weight down. I look at the new Camaro at 3650 pounds and just shake my head.

I had a Mini Cooper S before the MZ2 and I really love to drive a light weight car that can be thrown around. Zoom Zoom is right and now my wife wants a CX-7

Im REALLY close to getting a new white touring manual mz2. Would be trading in my 08 mazda3 blue hatch (leather moonroof\6cd\auto) but she has 50k miles on her and was in an accident last year and I dront trust her to become a high mileage car.

Im REALLY close to getting a new white touring manual mz2. Would be trading in my 08 mazda3 blue hatch (leather moonroof\6cd\auto) but she has 50k miles on her and was in an accident last year and I dront trust her to become a high mileage car.
I recommend it. If mine got stolen or something I'd buy the same car.
Even if I was loaded there's a good chance I'd buy the same car.

Look at the Honda CR-X It’s lightweight and any mod increases performance. Have you seen the video Cr-x vs lambo Amazing! Well The 2 being so lightweight is a major plus.

I recommend it. If mine got stolen or something I'd buy the same car.
Even if I was loaded there's a good chance I'd buy the same car.

Ya know, I feel the EXACT same way. (Except I probably wouldn't buy a black one again - too hard to keep clean and the silver and blue look SOOO nice).

My wife has a 2010 Fit Sport. Given a choice, she'll take the M2. She enjoys driving it more, as I do.

Fit has better storage room, seats, and more cup holders. M2 handles better in many ways. You feel more like you're "in" the M2 and "perched" in the Fit. Stereo in M2 is MUCH better than the Fit.

Also, if there is a car salesman in the back seat while you're test driving an M2, it is possible to bounce him from side to side (door to door)<LOL>

John

So, here is another piece of information:

I went and looked at a 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan yesterday (ya know, just to check out the competition). I didnt drive it, but I was not impressed. Besides being $15,100 for a practically BASE car (no cruise, no keyless entry, non-body-colored door handles, 14" hubcaps), one of the odd "weight saving" methods for Hyundai is the omission of a spare tire and tools. All it had was a can of "fix-a-flat" and a DC air pump... pretty sad. I am hoping that the hatchback is more impressive, but so far it looks like it is just another little car, trying to be more "luxurious" than it actually is.

So, here is another piece of information:

I went and looked at a 2012 Hyundai Accent sedan yesterday (ya know, just to check out the competition). I didnt drive it, but I was not impressed. Besides being $15,100 for a practically BASE car (no cruise, no keyless entry, non-body-colored door handles, 14" hubcaps), one of the odd "weight saving" methods for Hyundai is the omission of a spare tire and tools. All it had was a can of "fix-a-flat" and a DC air pump... pretty sad. I am hoping that the hatchback is more impressive, but so far it looks like it is just another little car, trying to be more "luxurious" than it actually is.

hyundai's are getting better, but i think the accent has a long way to go yet.

hyundai's are getting better, but i think the accent has a long way to go yet.

I would agree, but I do have to say that the absence of the spare tire is not specific to the accent. That new 40mpg Elantra has the same deal. Fix-a-flat and a pump... for me? Rate that thing at 38mpg and give me the donut.

When i was pricing chevy's, a spare tire is an option with them as well.

It is a new thing. like the airlines charging for baggage. just another way to get a buck out of you.

My wife has a 2010 Fit Sport. Given a choice, she'll take the M2. She enjoys driving it more, as I do.

Fit has better storage room, seats, and more cup holders. M2 handles better in many ways. You feel more like you're "in" the M2 and "perched" in the Fit. Stereo in M2 is MUCH better than the Fit.

Also, if there is a car salesman in the back seat while you're test driving an M2, it is possible to bounce him from side to side (door to door)<LOL>

John

Been there, done that a few times. Good thing I've got media creds, otherwise I wouldn't get any test drives at all. (evil)

The Fit is absolutely the most practical car you can get in this size range. But it just doesn't drive anywhere near as fun as the Mazda2.

Not that impressed with the 2's stereo. Those (weight-saving) thin rear door speakers lack punch, in my opinion. But that's easy to fix.

Thinking of picking up the 1.3 hatch (they're available here), as that is an absolute gas. Has crap for power, but is so light that it takes very little prodding to move forward. Also, it's annoyingly fun to J-turn, tripod and trail-brake drift all over the place. Might wait for the SkyActiv, though... even if it turns out to be less mod-friendly (due to the 14:1 compression and ultra-lean burn).

Back