Why is my car so slow at 12psi? WTF

Micaspeed1

:
2003 MSP Black Mica
Well i just ran a 16 second 1/4 mile with a built motor boosting at 15psi and settling to 12psi. I have a CA tuned unichip and mods list insig.
It pulls hard through 4500rmp but flat lines after that, fells like it looses all power. It sounds like the motor revs up and goes nowhere like the timing is getting pulled like hell. I already replaced the knock sensor thinking that was the problem.
Is there some stupid sensor that is causing the pulled timing.

It could be like Fox said, and the problem could be your tune. If your car is running uber rich it will not run right. Also what do your plugs look like? Because i was getting spark blow out on my msp at 7psi. it caused me to run a 16 second 1/4 mile.

16 sec is slower than a stock msp 1/4mile.

Somethings not right. You'll figure it out soon enough and fix it. Should be running at least low 13's.

I have the ACT / Fidanza combo. My AFRs hold strong at 12 to 12.2 to redline. I have brand new copper plugs. My thought is that something is telling the stock ecu that to pull timing like hell and the unichip cant compensate for it. Boost doesnt leak and my EGTs arent out of control, they hold around 1550F at the highest.
I want to switch to a standalone (Haltech) but want to make sure the problem wont carry over. Thanks for your guys' help.

i think you're on the right track, it sounds like the stock ecu is pulling timing. I run a
E6X on my big turbo msp, I highly recommend picking one up since you're goal right now is 300whp.

edit: I thought the unichip allowed for timing control?

hot or humid weather, bad stock cams, bad VTCS in intake manifold... all can contribute to lack of power

Thanks for that :) Think I just figured out my issue.. damn vtcs. I had the same thing, 16 sec in 1/4 mile. Seemed like my power wasn't getting to where it should have been. This week I got the P2006 code for vtcs stuck closed, so I think it's time to eliminate that problem soon.

hot or humid weather, bad stock cams, bad VTCS in intake manifold... all can contribute to lack of power

Could that be my issue. I havent had any CELs for VTCS and it seems to lose power befor that is suppose to activate. It flatlines after 4500rpm not 57xxrpm or when ever thoes butterfly valves open. Or am I wrong.

I havent yet done a comp. test but it feels as good or better than the stock pistons. Its got to be some sensor that is pulling timing or a bad tune. I would be happy if I could for sure fix it by putting in a Haltech.

you might want to make sure there isnt a large compression variation between the cylinders as it could cause just 1 to knock which could be telling the ecu to pull timing when the rest are doing fine. did you pulls your plugs yet to make sure they all look the same? go for a wot run and check right after. could even be that a single injector, plug or plug wire cant keep up with high boost high rpm. If I were you I would find out what wrong before spending money on a stand alone.

Back