My car was a victim of this cold weather and now I need parts

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
During a recent cold snap my doors were stuck shut. Yes, I should have lubricated the door slides and seals during fall but I didn't, and now I'm paying the price. As a result of this stickiness the left rear door handle broke off in my hand when I went to open the door and I'm finding that sourcing a replacement is a bit of a challenge.

From what I understand, the door handle is the same from 2008 to 2018 (or whenever the car went out of production). I have a 2012 in Copper Red Mica (32V), the only year in which that color was offered on the second generation Mazda5. I'd prefer to source a replacement handle already in the correct color as I have not had the best of luck repainting things like this. I've contacted sellers via eBay that have wrecked cars, and I've put out feelers on car-parts.com, all without success. Salvage yards in my area don't have suitable vehicles from which to grab the part. There are some vehicles out there in the wild that would be good parts donors but I'm nowhere near Salinas CA, Vancouver WA or Fort Worth TX being in STL.

Has anyone had any luck gluing the handle back together? I'm assuming that the broken plastic component is rattling around somewhere inside of my door. I'm a little hesitant to pull it apart at this time since many of the instructions I've seen suggest that the best way to work on the sliding door is to physically remove it from the car. I would look at the service manual but I have no idea where I placed it, and am going off recommendations from YouTube videos.

Why didn't you call your dealer?

C243-73-410J 74 <- latest part number​

Why didn't you call your dealer?

C243-73-410J 74 <- latest part number​

I didn't call the dealer because I am currently unemployed and very poor. Spending $90+ for a door handle isn't in the cards right now.

During a recent cold snap my doors were stuck shut. Yes, I should have lubricated the door slides and seals during fall but I didn't, and now I'm paying the price. As a result of this stickiness the left rear door handle broke off in my hand when I went to open the door and I'm finding that sourcing a replacement is a bit of a challenge.

From what I understand, the door handle is the same from 2008 to 2018 (or whenever the car went out of production). I have a 2012 in Copper Red Mica (32V), the only year in which that color was offered on the second generation Mazda5. I'd prefer to source a replacement handle already in the correct color as I have not had the best of luck repainting things like this. I've contacted sellers via eBay that have wrecked cars, and I've put out feelers on car-parts.com, all without success. Salvage yards in my area don't have suitable vehicles from which to grab the part. There are some vehicles out there in the wild that would be good parts donors but I'm nowhere near Salinas CA, Vancouver WA or Fort Worth TX being in STL.

Has anyone had any luck gluing the handle back together? I'm assuming that the broken plastic component is rattling around somewhere inside of my door. I'm a little hesitant to pull it apart at this time since many of the instructions I've seen suggest that the best way to work on the sliding door is to physically remove it from the car. I would look at the service manual but I have no idea where I placed it, and am going off recommendations from YouTube videos.
There are several write-ups on this - here is mine that references another https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/broken-kind-of-door-handle-drivers-side-door.123856217/#post-6469203. You don't need to take the door off, but it will be warmer if you do. When it is cold, the other plastic bits break easier too. Good luck. Check non-oem parts for cheaper prices. I doubt that gluing it would last long.

You will break door panel clips, so buy some before hand.

good luck

The link I posted was for $70 shipped if I put in an St Louis address, but I understand.

Gluing won't work unless you use some really good auto body glue...and you're talking $20 for a small tube for the good stuff that might work...and doubtful it will work for long. But if you have any mechanic friends...maybe one can spot you some SEM or 3M plastic repair epoxy. Good stuff. It may work for some time...or not. Sometimes if you take the pieces into a body shop, and ask them if it can be repaired, and you can't buy a new one because of reasons...a nice shop will help you out when it only costs them a dab of epoxy.

If you go to a bone yard, they often want at least a min of $40 because they have to pay the guy to pull the part. A pull-a-part place might charge you a small entry fee...and may not even charge you for something like this.

But the cheapest\best bet is to just keep doing what your doing. Look on ebay or Mazda forums for cars being parted out and just keep emailing people if they will be kind and send you the door handle for cheap. (You really can't be choosy on color.)

If I were in your shoes I would not care about the color of the door handle. Heck I would just leave the door handle unrepaired (there are still four other working doors).

When you are unemployed, one broken car door handle should not be on any radar. This is not a car problem, it is a priority management issue. I am not putting you down. I am just saying you have more important things to devote your effort into.

Set the search alert on eBay just in case a cheap part comes up.

Copper red mica? I know my Mazda 5 is grey (or silver), sometimes I call it a wagon (other times a minivan). It doesn't matter. It is just a value-depreciating tool for transportation. It is far more important that I have enough savings to get a new car with cash tomorrow if I crash my Mazda 5 and total it today. A distracted driver or a deer jumping into my lane can do just that in a split second (that's how my last Mazda 5 got totaled in 2020).

If you understand what I am getting at, then you won't get stuck at a color matched door handle.

Last edited:
I got a white handle at pick n pull. My 5 is red. It was a safety issue because some times it would not keep the door closed. It was $20 or so. I keep an eye on eBay, CL, and parts places for one in my color. No hurry as I'm not selling it anytime soon. And it is on there passenger side and I rarely see it.

Back