Why does the Mazdaspeed3 fuel cut so easily?

I bet it's not fuel cut. I bet it's traction control shutting everything down. POOOSH DA BUTTTON

Could be. I noticed it a few times though where I am going down an on-ramp to the highway and I decide to "get on it" a little to get up to the speed of traffic to merge. I will hear what almost sounds like plastic intermittently rubbing asphalt and it feel like I have power loss. Im not sure about the revs at which it happens but I believe it is around when the turbo is supposed to kick in ( ~ 3000 or so). Sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine.

In the most respectful way, I would almost hope you are wrong. Elsewise...think of all those that have bought the upgraded fuel pumps just to find out the TC system was kicking them in the ass.

I should amend my statement:

I think in this particular case (due to his current supporting mod list) it may be the issue.
I have no doubt some people are hitting fuel cut. It's a known issue.

Could be. I noticed it a few times though where I am going down an on-ramp to the highway and I decide to "get on it" a little to get up to the speed of traffic to merge. I will hear what almost sounds like plastic intermittently rubbing asphalt and it feel like I have power loss. Im not sure about the revs at which it happens but I believe it is around when the turbo is supposed to kick in ( ~ 3000 or so). Sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the engine.

Yeah that same thing happened to me on a long trip to Iowa. I had around 7-8k miles on the mazdas odometer. Still almost new. I had already gone 600 miles and had about 200 to go till I reached my destination and suddenly It made that same plastic like grinding noise with (how can I explain it?) sand blast blowing in the engine bay noise and I started loosing boost. There was no sand or dirt anywhere on the HWY or around.
I stomped on it just to make sure and the boost totaly hesitated. After a few seconds wich seemed like minutes boost came back.

So after a few miles I stoped at a gas station opened the hood to let the car cool down while I refulled thinking it might of got heat soaked or something! I was doing some spirited driving but I had no mods done!!! Anyways the rest of the trip and on the way back home it did not do it again and has not since! I took it into the dealer after that and they said they could not find anything wrong with it! But that sound still haunts my thoughts till this day!!!

Anyone knows what it might have been???

Yeah that same thing happened to me on a long trip to Iowa. I had around 7-8k miles on the mazdas odometer. Still almost new. I had already gone 600 miles and had about 200 to go till I reached my destination and suddenly It made that same plastic like grinding noise with (how can I explain it?) sand blast blowing in the engine bay noise and I started loosing boost. There was no sand or dirt anywhere on the HWY or around.
I stomped on it just to make sure and the boost totaly hesitated. After a few seconds wich seemed like minutes boost came back.

So after a few miles I stoped at a gas station opened the hood to let the car cool down while I refulled thinking it might of got heat soaked or something! I was doing some spirited driving but I had no mods done!!! Anyways the rest of the trip and on the way back home it did not do it again and has not since! I took it into the dealer after that and they said they could not find anything wrong with it! But that sound still haunts my thoughts till this day!!!

Since you didn't have any problem afterwards (i.e. nothing was broken), I could only imagine that the BPV may have stuck open for some reason.

It has never happened to me so I don't know exactly what it would sound like, but I'm sure it would be an unusual sound (a lot of air circulating around).

Hmm! IDK. It was really strange but we'll see if it happens again this summer!!! If that is the reason I hope its something that wont cause problems in the future but who knows!

and suddenly It made that same plastic like grinding noise with (how can I explain it?) sand blast blowing in the engine bay noise and I started loosing boost. There was no sand or dirt anywhere on the HWY or around.

Like a metallic pinging sound?
If so, my friend, you have just experienced engine knock... I got it a couple of times by applying too much throttle too early in the rev range in too high a gear.... I near pooped a brick! :(

If not, happy days! :)

Stock tune is set up to be very "safe", and will fuel cut around 17-18psi I think. AP with ATR can take care of that, though.

I ran into trouble when i had severe wheelspin in second gear, she would die. I never left
The Button unpushed since then unless it is raining. after i installed the ets3.5 and Corking TBE i had cut. once i was into boost. No data logging was done at that point. After we installed the standback i was releived to know that i was maintaining fuel pressure/ and duty cycle %. but still had cut. that was before tuning and just data logging. it was tuned and of course gone now, but with those mods and no tune and no back pressure it would cut violently. Not fuel though. which was my biggest fear, i never went lean. just what little i know, not sure that helps any though

good thread... once mine seemed to loose power, or shall i say, refuse to make any. i head a bit of wooshing as well. could barely notice the noise, then it seemed to clear up... gotta be that POS bpv. i bet that is where that surge we stock guys sometimes get is coming from as well....

i don't want to make noise, i want it to work trouble free. doing some research now... when i get mad enough at it i guess i'll give PG a call.

and PIG RICH is right! mine looks i've been running a BBQ smoker or something... soot all over the bumper....

Yup...rich = safe. But what I generally meant is that there is actually a part of the tune that specifies when fuel cut will occur. I believe it's a function of boost and fuel pressure, but it might be just boost. I noticed it while using ATR. There are boost settings for both "Throttle Close" and "Fuel Cut". I'm guessing if "throttle close" doesn't get the job done it will switch over to "fuel cut" to save the motor.

Trying to tune out boost creep has been an ongoing process for me. I've had to dial back the target boost from the Cobb OTS map, change the boost dynamics, and play with the "boost limit - throttle close" settings. Not only that, but I've made it richer at WOT (like AFRs in the low 11s) to keep it at least a little safe when/if boost gets above where I want it. It's kind of an ongoing issue, but I believe it probably stems more from the turbo/IWG (combined with an open exhaust) than anything...trying to tune it out is a pain, but I don't have the funds at the moment to upgrade turbos.

Also, as far as CDFPs go, I suggest the PTP unit. I have had no problems with mine...still seeing over 1700psi at WOT

Last edited:
good thread... once mine seemed to loose power, or shall i say, refuse to make any. i head a bit of wooshing as well. could barely notice the noise, then it seemed to clear up... gotta be that POS bpv. i bet that is where that surge we stock guys sometimes get is coming from as well....

i don't want to make noise, i want it to work trouble free. doing some research now... when i get mad enough at it i guess i'll give PG a call.

and PIG RICH is right! mine looks i've been running a BBQ smoker or something... soot all over the bumper....

the whooshing is the car cutting power, and the bpv doing its job by releasing charged air the engine does not want. theres nothing wrong with your bpv. i have the hks and if TC kicks in, it goes off as well.

Fuel Cut - car stumbles then gets up and goes (fuel pressure drops)

Boost/Load Cut - Car slams into brick wall and you make out with your steering wheel (throttle plate slams shut)

what do you guys recommend as a good alternative for the stock BPV? nothing fancy, i don't care what it sounds like, etc. in fact i would prefer as quiet as possible.

oh lord, is this how it starts? first one thing, and then another? also thinking the MS CAI is in order as well :)

it is

what do you guys recommend as a good alternative for the stock BPV? nothing fancy, i don't care what it sounds like, etc. in fact i would prefer as quiet as possible.

oh lord, is this how it starts? first one thing, and then another? also thinking the MS CAI is in order as well :)
you are doomed. the Forge recirc is probably the best bang for the buck. Grassrootsmotorsports ( great mag ) has been doing a slow mod, build and recently presented a data report from the accessport comparing stock bpv to the Forge we are speaking of. (ref AutoEuphoria's) check it out. i replaced mine early on with the Forge and have been pleased for what i need for now. The wastegate is a little slow it seems and i will spend the cash for the greddy boost controller as recommended by my tuner. Be sure to throw out your stock boost tubes and go with a heavier material. i found out mine had softened ( inlet ) and were distorting causing some boost issues.
as far as the Project of modding?! i had no plan when i first bought car. Then the Bigger IC just to cool her down a bit.then the motor mount so it would not rub and shift better. well after 3 years. I think i have the rear suspension and brakes completed. I have lots of parts installed. And on the kitchen table awaiting install and a wish list STILL. if i did not have so many kids maybe i would be done. no. never mind. it never ends. i want to buy an alfa romeo i cant afford. as i said previously, you are doomed. but it's a fun kind of doomed!

Yes it is. with the air straightener of course. actually that is one of the best mods of all, go for it

Back