Why does the Mazdaspeed3 fuel cut so easily?

nig3

what causes this to happen on the MS3?? i thought it was my CAI causing it but i installed the stock box and it does the same thing. Its very random, seems to do it when the temp changes. my car has been dynoed and runs smooth with fine AFR's. what the hell can be done to prevent it?

that is the ATP Boost Cut Defender.

Same thing... makes the decision between the 2 simple :)

Your using a boost controller, and dont have a BCD, so you may be hitting boost cut.

as well as no cats. the downpipe/testpipe are probably adding to the fuel cut if its fuel cut..

ure fuel pump is being maxed out...had that problem....PG pump solved that issue for me.

How can my pump be maxxed out alrweady? wouldnt that show on the dyno chart i have? Does the MS3 cut boost or does it cut fuel?? or both? And how can i tell for sure which is happeneing to me. This is strange cause i havent had the problem 3-4 days now, even if i try and make it happen it wont, its very random, so i highly doubt its my fuel pump being maxed out when i only make 270whp and other make well over 300 without this problem? i just wanna be sure before i start buying parts to fix it, please help!!

i must say i have never hit uel cut in my car. even when i had a full TBE. you on the other hand have incresed boost, thats your issue. you said the car was holding 17 psi. now that the temps are cold you are most likely getting a little more. 18 psi triggers fuel cut. you need a BCD

How can my pump be maxxed out alrweady? wouldnt that show on the dyno chart i have? Does the MS3 cut boost or does it cut fuel?? or both? And how can i tell for sure which is happeneing to me. This is strange cause i havent had the problem 3-4 days now, even if i try and make it happen it wont, its very random, so i highly doubt its my fuel pump being maxed out when i only make 270whp and other make well over 300 without this problem? i just wanna be sure before i start buying parts to fix it, please help!!

If there was a problem with the fuel pump, it would clearly show up on the dyno graph.

The reason that it may be random is that you may be right on the threshold of an "overboost" fuel cut.

What happens if you turn the boost up or down slightly?

If there was a problem with the fuel pump, it would clearly show up on the dyno graph.

The reason that it may be random is that you may be right on the threshold of an "overboost" fuel cut.

What happens if you turn the boost up or down slightly?

I think its more power related. I ran 18psi with an intake and nothing else for the longest time with zero problems. The second i put the TBE, before going out for a test drive i dialed it down to 15psi and the car cut out, raising the boost changed nothing. However adding fuel totally maxed out the pump and it felt like some1 slammed the brakes ever 300rpm past 4krpm.

stay stock.....stay happy (thumb)

no boost/fuel cut-out problems here!

I have my stock air box and bov on my car for a dealer visit and holy crap the car is a slug. I didn't feel that much power when I put it on, but now god its quite and bad feeling.

I would also say yes you want a BCD and MBC to remove the cut. I personally went with a stand back and wide band but laloosh had great success with that set up at 18psi.

Last edited:
Would nig3 need the BCD if he switched to an electronic boost controller?

The EBC could still increase boost, so seems like the BCD would be needed, but I don't know much about the BCD (not sure if it's electronic or mechanical in nature). Perhaps if it's electronic the EBC would have a function to serve the same purpose?

Don't mean to jack the thread, But would you still get fuel or boost cuts with basic bolt-ons? i.e CAI or SRI, CBE and BOV

Im sure you might.

Sometimes I get fuel cut and I am only running a K&N panel filter! I think I found the cure to mine though.

look at my mod list... no cut for me. and i also have a MBC turned up to 17psi right now.

I bet it's not fuel cut. I bet it's traction control shutting everything down. POOOSH DA BUTTTON

I bet it's not fuel cut. I bet it's traction control shutting everything down. POOOSH DA BUTTTON

In the most respectful way, I would almost hope you are wrong. Elsewise...think of all those that have bought the upgraded fuel pumps just to find out the TC system was kicking them in the ass.

Back