whois running Unichip /w J&S safeguard?

I'm just gonna call him and ask him what he thinks.

Thanks though. Maybe I will get this thing running right one day.

Maybe the SS afc? I know you had problems with it before but it could of been because of the TPS..

Okay, it seems we have problems running the J&S and the Unichip together.

John, just tell me what EMS to get and I'll do it if I can get them working together. Do you think the Microtech LT-10 would work with it better than the Unichip? I am running methanol, and basically every bolt on except for an intake mani.

The car starts fine with just your unit, it starts fine with just the Unichip, but it won't work together. I am just cursed with engine management problems.

I'm running the box now with no TPS, so should I just get a SSAFC? And run stock timing? I really want control over timing though, so I really want the Microtech.

He wants timing control which I guess is the problem that both units are trying to override the coil signals.

I thought the FTC was the one with timing? I've read that the tps wire was the only reason why it shouldn't work as mentioned by John. I'd think it's a matter of whether the ems is simply tapping into and overriding the signal or if the ems is cutting the coil wires and controlling timing directly.

To my knowledge the split second with timing only controls retard.

I am running meth injection so I need to be able to advance timing.

Well, I talked to John, and I think I'm going to just get the new unit. He said it should help with the starting issue.

Thought I would update everyone.

I got a J&S a little while after my last post in this thread. I installed it, and somehow it fried my ECU. I don't know if it was because it was hooked up with a Unichip or what but I had to buy a new ECU to get the car running again. I had a J&S hooked up before with my AFC and it didn't fry my ECU so really I have no clue why that happened.

I am tired of this J&S unit, and now I have it just sitting here doing nothing. John at J&S isn't taking calls or returning my e-mails, so I think I am just stuck with this unit with no way to test it and make sure the unit is functioning properly.

Anyone want a J&S and the headaches that come with it? I'll cut you a helluva deal.

Last edited:
Though I would update everyone.

I got a J&S a little while after my last post in this thread. I installed it, and somehow it fired my ECU. I don't know if it was because it was hooked up with a Unichip or what but I had to buy a new ECU to get the car running again. I had a J&S hooked up before with my AFC and it didn't fry my ECU so really I have no cl;ue why that happened.

I am tired of this J&S unit, and now I have it just sitting here doing nothing. John at J&S isn't taking calls or returning my e-mails, so I think I am just stuck with this unit with no way to test it and make sure the unit is functioning properly.

Anyone want a J&S and the headaches that come with it? I'll cut you a helluva deal.

sorry for the troubles. did you try and speak with Steve at NSNmotorsports, maybe he could suggest some tests to see whats wrong with the unit.

Yup, been talking to him. He doesn't have a car to test it out on, so I'm stuck. He's supposed to get back with me if he comes up with a plan of action, but I believe I am effed.

I have had nothing but bad times with these units. :(

Man it sure sucks with the bulls*** you've gone through! Just shows how important customer service is! I got lucky getting mine in and set just right from the start... up until a 6month old fried gauge and ignored emails more recently.

Awesome!

Let me know when you're available John. I really need to see whats up with this unit.

And I just ran a getto-fied knock led to my dash since my fancy knock gauge burned out after less than a year. Even made a baddass pod in my gauge surround for the damn thing!This happened over six months ago and John you just quit responding to my e-mails after I tested the output of the unit to see it was definately a faulty gauge??!!

that sux azz shane. how did you run the light? was it right off the units output headphone looking jack? i want a gauge, but am afraid its going to fizzle on me too!

John: is there a warranty on those and are they still available?

So waddya think guys? One more shot at this?

I've replaced the ECU, it runs fine now with just the Unichip, but I am still hesitant to install it. I sent it off to John to check it over, and he said it is working fine, so I know there's no problem there. So maybe disconnect the Unichip, install the J&S and see what I get?

Should I even try to plug the unichip in? It ran once before with the unichip, it just didn't start up right, it would backfire every time I quit cranking it. Then after a couple starting attempts it would fire up. So I took the J&S out, and it started and ran fine.

I decided the problem may have been the shop that installed it, and their "quality" of work. So I took it to a new friend's performance shop, he's a reputable guy with a bunch of good builds under his belt. I helped him install it, and we got it all soldered in, we just used power, ground, ignition, and the knock sensor, and it would crank but wouldn't start. So we checked injectors, coils, everything we could think of and it wouldn't start. So our last option was maybe it was the ECU. So I bought a new ECU, and with the J&S, and Unichip disconnected it started up and ran fine, with the exception of the hesitation from the stock ECU.

So at that point I decided to install the Unichip. After the install it ran okay, but it still kind of hesitated, so I assumed maybe it was because the ECU was unflashed. I found a member here saying he may be able to flash it (turns out he'd be getting a lot of business ;) ), so I sent him my ECU and he gave it the updated MSP flash. I got it back, and as of right now the car is running great.

I am just unsure as to whether I want to install this thing and chance it one more time...

Shane:

My emails went weird on me in February. I started getting two or three thousand per day, all repeats. That's why I stopped responding. Turned out some setting in my email account changed.

I'll replace your gauge. Are you at the same address?

Back