White Smoke from my RB Exhaust

SKY

:
Mazdaspeed3
I realize that there are white smoke coming out from my stock Racing beat exhaust when I'm stepping on the gas pedal (when I'm driving). What's wrong?

I just installed a 2.0L Ractive header 2 weeks ago and one catalyser is removed, is that the cause?

Construcitvie comment only. Thanks! (friday)

Last edited:
probably didn't seal the header right, because white smoke (actually steam) is from water or anti-freeze getting into the combustion chamber and burning with the fuel. It comes out as white looking smoke. google your question for more in-depth answers probably.

SKY said:
mind to explain more?

I google white smoke and it says Coolant too (dunno)

The header doesn't have anything to do with coolant getting into the combustion chamber. you need to make sure it isn't actually whitish/blue smoke which would indicate you are burning oil. Coolant burning usually smells sweet. If it's coolant then you either have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. Oil burning is usually a problem with the rings being worn out. How many miles are on your car?

Yup, sound like your burning oil mang.

One old trick: Try holding a white peice of paper behind your muffler while your car idles, see if u get an oil residue on the sheet. Also try revv'ing it a bit too.....

kudakev615 said:
^you have no idea what you are talking about

ok dick. well i copied that from a website after seeing numerous similar answers like that, so i was tryin to help out. and like xelderx said, a bad head gasket could lead to white smoke. cool post though, you really helped his problem. (google)

You are probably burning oil. The cat you just removed was probably helping to mask the oil smoke by burning up all the left over residue before it made it out the tail pipe.

1moreMPH said:
ok dick. well i copied that from a website after seeing numerous similar answers like that, so i was tryin to help out. and like xelderx said, a bad head gasket could lead to white smoke. cool post though, you really helped his problem. (google)

The confusion here is you commented on the head gasket, which is different than the header gasket. The header he installed has nothing to do with the heads or coolant of the engine.

SKY, is the white smoke thick or just noticeable. Usually when you burn coolant it is a VERY thick WHITE smoke. You're prob burning a small amount of oil and the cat is no longer there to clean it up.

It is noticable, but it is not a hell lot of smoke coming out neither.
It was my friend who told me that when he was drivingg behind me.

Yup, sounds like oil. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, and your access to tools, you could do some tests yourself. You're prob better off having a shop check it out though.

Back