Squeak from 2016.5 CX-5 when first pulling away

Hello all and thank you in advance.

About a week ago, when starting up my 2016.5 CX-5 after it sits for a little, when I first drive away, I almost always hear an quick squek/squelch in front and sounds mostly coming from the driver's side.

It usually just does it when putting the car into drive and just rolling/idle/no gas. It doesn't make that noise once pulling off and driving. If I don’t drive for a few overs, it didn’t make the noise. Once I put the car into drive and let go over the brake to just roll forward I hear it and has no connotation to the gas.

Just some info to help narrow it done. 6 months I put 4 brand new (brand name) brake pads and rotors on all 4 tires. 2 months ago I had General RT45 tires (front/back) installed along with an alignment. I feel it’s not a brake, rotor or tire issue. The car has 81,000 miles on it and always had oil changes and services checks… no issues ever.

Sometimes if I roll out of the spot without touching the gas it’ll make the sound every 1-2 seconds (instead of a quick one) without turning the wheel.

I have a video where you can hear it but I apologize about the outside sound, I couldn’t isolate it the best. Lots of birds outside but of you put volume up, it can clearly be heard.

I did buy the extended warranty I believe goes to 100k but mazda in the past will do everything I possibly can to say nothing’s wrong, and avoid fixing it. This happened when I first bought the car I let go of the brake pedal and there’s a quick we coming from inside which has nothing to do with this problem but just shows how much that doesn’t really care.

Which is why I’m coming here for any advice because I already know if I bring it to the dealer and they say they don’t hear anything or it’s normal.

Once again, thank you everybody in advance and I’m sorry for the long post. I’m just out of options.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    8.2 MB
  • IMG_3851.MOV
    10.1 MB
Some thoughts ...

You're referring to that faint high-pitched squeak that occasionally occurs once beginning to roll?

My initial suggestion would be: brake pads/rotors, along with proper bedding. But you said you did the rotors+pads some months ago. When you did these, did you happen to clean and lubricate the caliper slider pins?

Over the decades, I've heard various cars have a slight, faint squeal like that while idling along ... until the noise of the engine and speed overwhelms that sound. Might well have been occurring always, every rotation of the wheel, but I never could hear such a thing except during the first ~10ft before really hitting the gas, or when just idling in-gear. If you can tie the sound to the rotating of the wheels, as opposed to the RPMs, then my bet's on the sound coming from the brakes.

I suppose a squeaking like that could be occurring with, say, the accessory belt's tensioner bearing, at just the right RPM. Something you might not hear once the car's other sounds overwhelm it, and which you might not hear except at a certain RPM. A bearing that's under some load/speed that is beginning to bind might well start making a sound like this. But this is a sound you ought to be able to duplicate without any wheel rotation (whether in-gear or not), by playing with the RPMs . Hard to hear once the RPMs get higher. Might get lucky and find this is it.

Across nearly a dozen different vehicles, I can't recall a slight high-pitched squeal like that occurring except in these two areas (something belt/tensioner related or something brake/pad related). Though, somebody with far more experience might well have heard such a sound in other situations.

That's as far as my thinking takes me, non-mechanic that I am.

2016.5 Cx5 GT here. I had similar noise for months. Finally needed back brakes completely replaced.
Turns out calipers on both sides were completely out and frozen. Eac cost $230-250 from Mazda dealership. With brakes had $1k bill.

I heard this noise almost two months before back brakes were replaced and caliper issue uncovered. Thought I was losing my mind. Anyhow, issue is now gone

Some thoughts ...

You're referring to that faint high-pitched squeak that occasionally occurs once beginning to roll?

My initial suggestion would be: brake pads/rotors, along with proper bedding. But you said you did the rotors+pads some months ago. When you did these, did you happen to clean and lubricate the caliper slider pins?

Over the decades, I've heard various cars have a slight, faint squeal like that while idling along ... until the noise of the engine and speed overwhelms that sound. Might well have been occurring always, every rotation of the wheel, but I never could hear such a thing except during the first ~10ft before really hitting the gas, or when just idling in-gear. If you can tie the sound to the rotating of the wheels, as opposed to the RPMs, then my bet's on the sound coming from the brakes.

I suppose a squeaking like that could be occurring with, say, the accessory belt's tensioner bearing, at just the right RPM. Something you might not hear once the car's other sounds overwhelm it, and which you might not hear except at a certain RPM. A bearing that's under some load/speed that is beginning to bind might well start making a sound like this. But this is a sound you ought to be able to duplicate without any wheel rotation (whether in-gear or not), by playing with the RPMs . Hard to hear once the RPMs get higher. Might get lucky and find this is it.

Across nearly a dozen different vehicles, I can't recall a slight high-pitched squeal like that occurring except in these two areas (something belt/tensioner related or something brake/pad related). Though, somebody with far more experience might well have heard such a sound in other situations.

That's as far as my thinking takes me, non-mechanic that I am.
Thank you for the detailed response. My friend who worked on cars his whole life installed them. I was there and he definitely cleaned and lubed parts, I’ll have to ask him about the caliper pin.

It doesn’t do it every time but maybe 70/100. After the initial morning drife, if car sits for less than approx 3 hours it doesn’t make that noise. When it sits for longer, the noise occurs. Sometimes it’ll do it for 10 seconds just rolling and sometimes it’s a few squeaks for 3 seconds.

I have a feeling it’s a belt but wanted opinions from other mazda drivers because the dealership will rip me off. I have a warranty but I’m sure a belt is just wear and tear.

Thank you again for the response, I really appreciate it.

2016.5 Cx5 GT here. I had similar noise for months. Finally needed back brakes completely replaced.
Turns out calipers on both sides were completely out and frozen. Eac cost $230-250 from Mazda dealership. With brakes had $1k bill.

I heard this noise almost two months before back brakes were replaced and caliper issue uncovered. Thought I was losing my mind. Anyhow, issue is now gone
I had the brakes all done but the calipers were not replaced. I have 86k miles on the car and bought it with 32k… I’m going to assume they didn’t replace the calipers when buying. Thank you for your response and I’ll look into it.

You're also supposed to put a dab of brake grease on the brake pad back plate as well as lube the spring clip hardware. Sounds like this wasn't done. Definitely sounds like brake noise.

You're also supposed to put a dab of brake grease on the brake pad back plate as well as lube the spring clip hardware. Sounds like this wasn't done. Definitely sounds like brake noise.
Thank you for the response. Would that be the packet of grease that comes with the pads? I’m pretty sure the back plate was lubed but don’t know what spring flip hardware is? Can you explain it or sum up what that part is? Thanks again in advance

Latest posts

Back