Whining noise when turning at low speeds

speed858

:
2007 Mazda Speed3 GT, Sunlight Silver
So here is my issue:

When first starting the car and turning left or right out of a parking spot, I get a loud whining sound.

This sound goes away when turning above 15 MPH and when the clutch isn't engaged.

I took it to carmax since I have a warranty with them and they replaced the power steering pump.

Problem still persisted and now carmax is stumped. They are recommending that I take it to a transmission expert.

What are your thoughts?

I checked it and carmax checked it.

No leaks around it. I was thinking about replacing my transmission fluid with the Motorcraft Xt-M5-Q5.

Think that would help?

it only makes the sound when turning and the clutch is engaged? not with just the clutch engaged and doing nothing??

Yep, only when turning.

The can push the clutch while doing nothing and no sound.

So sounds like only when there is a load on it.

Limited Slip differential. A change of fluid might help but I would stick to the factory fluid.

Alright, I will try changing the fluid out.

Let you guys know the results.

Did changing the fluid resolve the issues? I have the same issue in my car too. It always seems to make the noise at low speed when doing a sharp left or right turn. This always happens when turning into a parking spot or doing a u-turn. I don't recall this occurring when I first bought the car, but it seems to start after about 40-50k. Also, similar to the other post, the noise does not occur if I push in the clutch when turning.

Problem resolved! I put in the Motorcraft synthetic fluid and it works great now!

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Changing the tranny oil to MT-90 didn't seem to fix the issue. Did the noise stop right away, or is there some sort of break-in period. Maybe I should of use the Motorcraft brand instead, but I will have to try that friction modifier stuff next.

Back