Which wire to tap for amp turn on lead??

lamp3

I'm wiring my wifes sub and amp, which wire coming out of the back of the factory deck should i tap for the turn on lead??

You just need any old accessory wire. Even the one at the column will work. Sorry I don't have the harness info on the 3 yet. :(

If you use any accessory wire, wouldn't the amp be on whenever the car was running?

I have yet to see a head unit that didn't have an outboard amp, that had a true turn on wire. 99% simply turn on when the car is on. Unless the wire is coming out of the radio and not to the radio, then anything you tap is simply an ignition or accessory lead and yes the amp will be on when ever the car is.

The lighter wire is one of the accessory wires. I only want my amp to be on when the stereo is on.

krstofer said:
The lighter wire is one of the accessory wires. I only want my amp to be on when the stereo is on.
Then you need an aftermarket head unit or a switch that you can kit on and off as you wish. Otherwise, like most all other cars the Mazda 3 only has accessory leads, there are no wires that will have 12 volts on them only when the head unit is on. I will admit this is still an assumption but one I am very confident in.

Some amps have an auto on circuit though, basicly when the amp sees signal it will kick on.

Back