Which trim level for new CX-5?

By 'all CD', I'm assuming you mean all models/years having NA/CD. You asked the million dollar question, and only the Mazda inner circle knows the complete story for certain. Some of it has become public knowledge, based on very reliable and helpful information from Mazda techs; reports by owners; and also the NHTSA complaint website.

What's known for certain is that cracked heads has been a really big deal on the 2018 CX-5, which was the first implementation of CD by Mazda. Also, the 2019 CX-5 has had quite a few cracked head reports, but almost certainly not nearly (so far) at the level of the 2018. But going beyond the 2018/2019 CX-5, things get quite a bit more uncertain. The Mazda techs say they have done 'a few' cracked heads beyond 2018/2019 CX-5, and there also was one confirmed (documented) 2022 cracked head reported here as well. And also, just a very small number of cracked head reports show up beyond 2018/2019 on NHTSA as well (all models having CD, not just the CX-5).

So it's clear that cracked heads outside of 2018/2019 CX-5, so far anyway, would have to be described as a very low volume issue. That said, it's always been concerning and very puzzling to me why there should be ANY cracked heads beyond 2019 at all. With the huge hit they took early on with this, I'd assume that Mazda upper management would have been hovering over the 'bad casting' issue and demanding that it be 100% resolved.

So the fact that even just a few cracked heads have been reported on the later models means that this problem cannot have been fully resolved yet. I can't imagine the factory being allowed to use leftover heads on the later model years, that were cast in 2018/2019. So that means that at least some number of newer castings were bad. One possible factor might be the protruding areas of the back of the head, which are where the HLA ports are located, and where the crack in the head always appears to be located. Perhaps those protrusions are difficult for the liquid metal to flow into completely, and they just can't get to 100% perfection, even with excellent QA. Just speculation there, and the root cause could probably be a number of other reasons as well, including something other than bad castings being a factor.

But the bottom line on this, and the (long winded) answer to your question is that there have been at least a few cracked heads on the later CD model years, and so this issue is still an open book - one which might very well have additional chapters yet to come.
Wow, thanks. There is a lot more to this than I thought. Have there been any reports of this on the 2.5T?

Yeah, I know a lot is just personal preference. I was getting more at things like a particular feature doesn't really work, or this other thing is awkward to use, that kind of stuff. Are wiper de-icer's necessary? :)

Never had a car with Android auto or a heads up display so no clue if it's worth it to upgrade there. I think the non-turbo Premium plus has wireless charging and Android auto -- wondering if those are worth it.

Thanks for the feedback.
If you can get one with HUD ( head up display), you will never want to drive a car without a HUD. It's my favourite feature.

Wow, thanks. There is a lot more to this than I thought. Have there been any reports of this on the 2.5T?
The turbo also has had a cracked head issue, and Mazda was actually quite a bit more forthcoming about that one then they have been with the NA/CD cracked head problem. They issued a TSB which confirmed potentially defective heads for a collection of turbo VINs, and also stated that the head was redesigned to correct the defect.

However, I haven't seen nearly the same level of good information on the turbo issue as I have with the NA. You can find some turbo cracked head threads here and elsewhere online as well, but not nearly the same volume of information that I've seen about NA/CD cracked heads. Although that might indicate that there's been quite a bit fewer turbo cracked heads than with the NA/CD, I don't have enough information to say that with any certainty.

We were looking for similar performance as an Acura RDX. The CX 5 T, Premium Plus is equal in performance as a RDX. I like that we can choose gas octane level, unlike the RDX. We like the styling, size and price over a RDX. To give the RDX it's due, it has a few more features than our Premium +. These items were of no interest to us.

I like the quality of the upgraded cargo and floor mats. The cargo cover is a quality item as well.

X2 on a HUD. It's a cool feature. Mazda maps put a red line on speedometer and posts the speed limit in the HUD. I like the cruise speed on the HUD and speedometer as well.

It took us a couple of weeks to get accustomed to the technology. We had to make a leap into the future from our 2009 Accord. There were a few frustrating moments. Today, I can move around on the screen with ease. The buttons on the steering wheel seem about right. The buttons on the dash are simple. I wish they were higher.

My wife hates the black wheels. I agree, Mazda missed it on these wheels and they are HEAVY. Before we bought it, I was already shopping for gun metal gray wheel. They will arrive in a few weeks. Silver wheels were not an option at the time we bought this car.

We got Mazda zero % financing for 5 years. That works out to +$4,000 savings. The dealer included a life time drive train warranty as well. These 2 options are worth getting. I feel more comfortable if we got a bad cylinder head casting it's covered.

I think 2024 is the end of 3rd gen CX-5. I like getting the last or near the last year of a generation. The critics complain about it's not the newest. I like that Mazda has had a few years to work out the bugs and tweak the software.

We only have 600 miles on the SUV. It has beat the City EPA estimate. Short highway trips indicate it's going to do better than EPA highway MPG estimate as well. Fuel efficacy is important but we are not willing to sacrifice performance for a couple MPG.

Our only issue is the cell phone self charging. It DON"T WORK. I've already moved on.

Flip it into sport mode and its a pocket rocket!

I installed aftermarket Anti Sway Bars, front and back with urethane bushings. This was a GAME CHANGER. Now if we use sport mode, even with the A36 threads, it handles the power through curves. Doing this mod gave me some quality time under the SUV. I'm impressed with the quality of components, attention to details and engineering. Same goes for the 2.5l. I could write a page on this engine.

The turbo is quite and smooth. Being a VGT, it heats up the engine quickly, spools up smoothly and is more efficient than without variable geometry. Mazda encased the hot side in insulation. Like a turbo blanket, this adds to the turbo efficiency and keeps the engine bay cooler. This little boosted engine mates about perfect with the electronic trans.

Like most boosted engines, this 2.5l T makes nice power in the low to mid range. Mazda effectively turns the boost off at 4,000 RPM. That's fine with me. This is our DD.

I have the original turbo/engine in my CTD truck, 265K mi. These turbos last at least 350K mi. Changing the oil routinely, drive smoothly and stay out of high boost/high EGT are key to getting long life out of this set up. I have a boost and EGT gauges on the truck. With a tuner, these engines make +40 PSI boost. At that boost level it's easy to exceed 1200F exhaust gas temps. These 2 gauges are invaluable when towing. I'd like to see these boost and EGT gauges on the CX-5. I trust Mazda has dialed back the 2.5l T so we can't harm it.

I've run a few oil samples along the way on this diesel. I plan on getting a base line oil test on the CX-5 first oil change. I haven't decided what intervals to run tests in the future. Something like 20 or 30k mi sounds about right.

Last edited:
Went from a ‘13 CX-5 Sport 2 liter that was totaled to my ‘23 CX-5 Turbo. It’s fantastic. Only drawback is average 25 mpg (30-40 miles a day round trip, over a mile uphill for 1000 ft elevation change is what is hurting mileage a bit), but she hauls ass and is a blast to drive.

Hi all,
My wife's 12 year old CX-9 just got totaled (from what looked like a very minor parking lot collision). We had a great run with it, including some very long road trips so we are likely to stick with Mazda for a replacement. We like the idea of a smaller CX-9 as we didn't use the 3rd row much at all.

Two questions:
Turbo or no turbo? I'll test drive both but wanted to know what you all thought.
Which trim level do you all like? They seem to have so many and then extra options on top of that. I don't think we need the top trim, but a lot of the Premium features did look nice.

I do most of the maintenance myself, so any insights or horror stories would help as well.

Thanks.
which trim/features did you have on your cx-9? i personally think the turbo is overkill, but many on here don't seem to feel the same way. the non-turbo drivetrain is very responsive and plenty quick for me in most situations, and my last car was a forester xt. going from a cx-9 to a cx-5, you might expect more power though. depending on which features you want or are used to, i'd say either the preferred or premium/premium plus would be good trim levels to look at, of the non-turbo models.

Two things I look for: price and simplicity.

Price, because I make exactly *one* car payment, the one where I buy the car.

Simplicity, because the more "features" you add, is just more stuff to break down the road.

I maintain my own cars, and because they are so expensive, I keep them until they're ready for the crusher. The simpler it is, the simpler it is to maintain, the more money you save.

Cars are a liability, not an asset, so treat them as such. Get in and get out for just as little cash as you can.

Even the base models still have power windows, power locks, power steering, cruise, AC, and keyless entry. And the smaller normally aspirated engines are very low maintenance, and if you keep the maintenance up, can go for 250,000 miles or more while sipping gas.

Wow, great info here. Thanks all.

Just got back from the dealer and test drove a 24 CX-5 Premium and a CX-5 Turbo Premium.

Overall, loved the Turbo. Flat torque curve, low lag, really responded when you got on it. Very little body roll (on both), felt tight and connected to the road.

As for trim features, HUD was nice, vented seats were nice. Wireless charging and Android Auto worked great. Ergonomics were good as well (not so much on the CX-50, which surprised us -- seemed like cupholders and buttons weren't where they should be)

The non-turbo was okay. More sluggish which you could overcome with the paddle shifters, but the turbo was just easier to drive. But overall still fun.

Some other observations: surprising amount of room under the hood and not a lot of plastic panels everywhere. Seems like changing belts, replacing the battery or alternator, and other general to mid-level maintenance would be pretty easy. Both drove well and had very good storage. The price is holding us back a bit. $40k with very little incentive offers is giving us pause. I know rates are high and everything is expensive, but man, that was a shock. Also, the lack of inventory with actual color is shocking. Personal preference, but I don't want a black, white, or silver car -- but that seems to be all that's on dealer lots. They had a couple red and none of the blue, at least in that trim.

But the 24 turbo is definitely on my short list. Of course, this will be my wife's car . . . :sneaky:

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help.

Simplicity, because the more "features" you add, is just more stuff to break down the road.

I maintain my own cars, and because they are so expensive, I keep them until they're ready for the crusher. The simpler it is, the simpler it is to maintain, the more money you save.

Cars are a liability, not an asset, so treat them as such. Get in and get out for just as little cash as you can.

Even the base models still have power windows, power locks, power steering, cruise, AC, and keyless entry. And the smaller normally aspirated engines are very low maintenance, and if you keep the maintenance up, can go for 250,000 miles or more while sipping gas.
You sound fun.

I appreciate that, that was my philosophy when I purchased my ‘13 CX-5 Sport. I made a few small upgrades over the years like some cheap but vastly better speakers off Amazon. It was perfect for getting from point A to point B.

I splurged on the ‘23 T though. At minimum I wanted the turbo and man you have to pay for it lol. The kids now say they want to ride in “my” car because it has rear seat warmers and not my wife’s.

I appreciate that, that was my philosophy when I purchased my ‘13 CX-5 Sport. I made a few small upgrades over the years like some cheap but vastly better speakers off Amazon. It was perfect for getting from point A to point B.

I splurged on the ‘23 T though. At minimum I wanted the turbo and man you have to pay for it lol. The kids now say they want to ride in “my” car because it has rear seat warmers and not my wife’s.
I also have a 13 CX-5 that I've upgraded to my liking. I've added a ridiculous subwoofer box with 4 12" subs, a Kenwood stereo with wireless Android Auto stereo and a reverse camera, fog lights, roof racks, mud guards, and weathertech floor mats.

The car averages 31mpg, it's only got 115k miles on it, and I only paid $9200 with a full service history down to changing the wiper blades.

Hi all,
We just got a CX-5 Turbo Premium. We ended up with white, but the dealership made us an offer we couldn't refuse (about 3500 below MSRP) plus loyalty discount and the financing rate.

Wife is happy -- the tech seems intuitive to use, easy and fun to drive.

Had the trunk shelf, which seems surprisingly useful for the kids and the black lug nuts and wheel lock.

So far the only issue is that five of the black lug nuts have "spots" on them with no paint. At first we thought that was the one with the lock, but no. I'm sure the dealership will replace those. We'll call on Monday.

But overall, we're pretty happy with it. Thanks for the advice all!

You might as well say EVERY mfg'er has an issue with cracked cylinder heads. As long as there is SOME report of a CCH, by the definition "having an issue", you have spotted another mfg'er with "lack of quality control". But there are other things that can lead to a CCH than supposedly using subpar materials. But maybe "a few" really means "a few thousand"

Hi all,
My wife's 12 year old CX-9 just got totaled (from what looked like a very minor parking lot collision). We had a great run with it, including some very long road trips so we are likely to stick with Mazda for a replacement. We like the idea of a smaller CX-9 as we didn't use the 3rd row much at all.

Two questions:
Turbo or no turbo? I'll test drive both but wanted to know what you all thought.
Which trim level do you all like? They seem to have so many and then extra options on top of that. I don't think we need the top trim, but a lot of the Premium features did look nice.

I do most of the maintenance myself, so any insights or horror stories would help as well.

Thanks.
Waited over a year for a deal to buy a new Mazda... Ended up buying a managers 2023 CX-5 Turbo Signature demo. Has 6k on it... It's a pleasure to drive.. Wanted a Mazda because no CVT, and it has a tranny dipstick. Also reviews and all owners I have talked to love their CX-5's. I was going to get the Preferred trim but all non turbos have the I-stop (I-crap) installed. Love mine! I got quotes on line and the dealers are discounting now so it's a good time to buy. One dealer discounted 1,400 off MSRP, had a lot of options so they were essentially free. Get the Turbo, you won't regreat it.

Are we expecting no changes for the 2025 model year? I don't think the full redesign is due until 2026.
Well, if the mysterious (or maybe it's mythical) 'parts shortage' clears up, then Mazda should theoretically go back to using just 2 engines, instead of the 3 choices that are available with the 2024. Time will tell if that's true, or if this is instead the beginning of the end for CD.

I would look at the CX-50 !!
It's a good option if one fits in it. If your body frame has wide shoulders and hips and a long torso, the CX-5 is a way more comfortable choice. I'd go back to driving a VW Golf R before getting this generation of the CX-50, because I could at least fit in the Golf without feeling like I was trapped and being constantly pressed against the CX-50's door and B pillar would not be fun on long trips.

Waited over a year for a deal to buy a new Mazda... Ended up buying a managers 2023 CX-5 Turbo Signature demo. Has 6k on it... It's a pleasure to drive.. Wanted a Mazda because no CVT, and it has a tranny dipstick. Also reviews and all owners I have talked to love their CX-5's. I was going to get the Preferred trim but all non turbos have the I-stop (I-crap) installed. Love mine! I got quotes on line and the dealers are discounting now so it's a good time to buy. One dealer discounted 1,400 off MSRP, had a lot of options so they were essentially free. Get the Turbo, you won't regreat it.
Tranny dipstick?

Back