which tires u rockin?

I've got Goodyear Eagle GT's, stock size, and I'm real happy with them. Great dry grip and good wet grip. Aggressive tread pattern, which is always a plus, and not too expensive. 125$ a piece from discount tire.

I've got the Sumitomo HTR Z III and like them. Nice grip and good traction. I plan to go with Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 I need an all season tire with the winters in PA.

One quick question, why would somebody buy one of the best handling production cars ever built, then put a set of the worst tires ever made on that same car? It is akin to ordering a steak and only eating the garnish. The MSP is not economical, practical, or convenient, when originally sold, it was head and shoulders above anything on the market in terms of handling, trying to make it something it is not seems counterproductive. Feed and care of sports cars is an expensive endeavor, if you don't have the desire to pay the price, they made the Protege`5 for you.

bro who was that directed at? cause the way it looks, i started asking what tires people have on their cars to get a good idea what are some of the good choices out there, because actual peer reviews are much better than sales pitches, which always say their tires are the best.
and THEN you took a crap on my thread

I have been running Bridgestone Potenza RE50A Pole Positions and LOVING THEM TO DEATH! so worth the price tag!

I'm running 225/40/18 Hankook RS2's, but unlike wagonbacker I love mine. I think this is mostly due to the size he is running, as the lower profile tires have a more rigid sidewall. I autocross at every local event (2nd place in STM for the season), and they have done great there. A little faster than my previous tires which were 215/40/18 Nitto Neo Gens. I actually really liked the Neo Gens as well, they performed really good at autocross once they were bald (if you don't mind sliding into corners and getting the back out, lol). They were really suprising. I ran a size with a stiffer sidewall so YRMV. Also have ran Toyo Proxes 4 in 215/40/18 and they were alright, a little worse than the Neo Gens.

Of note, I will be running 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus Z214 C71 for next season. Will report back after the first event.

edit: All these tires and I've only had the car for 23k miles (at 57k now), I also ran a set of stock size tires before the switch to the Toyos, lol.

Last edited:
I'm running 225/40/18 Hankook RS2's, but unlike wagonbacker I love mine. I think this is mostly due to the size he is running, as the lower profile tires have a more rigid sidewall. I autocross at every local event (2nd place in STM for the season), and they have done great there. A little faster than my previous tires which were 215/40/18 Nitto Neo Gens. I actually really liked the Neo Gens as well, they performed really good at autocross once they were bald (if you don't mind sliding into corners and getting the back out, lol). They were really suprising. I ran a size with a stiffer sidewall so YRMV. Also have ran Toyo Proxes 4 in 215/40/18 and they were alright, a little worse than the Neo Gens.

Of note, I will be running 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus Z214 C71 for next season. Will report back after the first event.

edit: All these tires and I've only had the car for 23k miles (at 57k now), I also ran a set of stock size tires before the switch to the Toyos, lol.

I didn't mean to indicate that they're a bad tire, I just think that there are other tires in the class that are far superior. I got all of the 16" tires I own from an auto crosser (he took his class 2 years ago in street tire, and when they reclassed the mini, he moved to R comps.. this is also how I came by the tires), these had the most tread because next to the RE-01 and Star Spec, they were lack luster at best. If I recall, he used them for wet racing because they had MUCH more void area than any other max performance tire.

Last edited:
Oh, for sure they are not up to par with todays "ultra performance summer 140UTQG tires", but for the $83/piece I paid they are defintiely worth it. They were the hot tire years back, so they are still better than alot of todays higher (220+) treadwear tires.

But then the RS3's are a crazy tire for the money (better than the StarSpecs in many test/reviews, and as close to a r-comp as it gets), so with my money I'd probably go with RS3. Also heard great things about Kuhmo Ecsta XS's.

Last edited:
Two year old bump but with good intentions. It's that time of year with spring and summer around the corner to start considering new shoes for my MSP and decisions abound. I reside in southeast AZ so our driving conditions are mild-to cold (+/- 20 to 55) in winter with a very rare snow dusting to warm to hot (+/- 85-105) summers. June to August is monsoon season with lots of seasonal rain.

That said, to everyone who's posted about their tires, what's your updated report on the mod/brand with wear & tear two years later? Worst part I know will be the manufacturers have discontinued some popular models, but all feedback is appreciated.

BTW, I've two sets of wheels. OG Racing Harts are using Falken ZE 912 (215/45/17) and MX5 rims with Michelin Pilot Preceda (205/45/17). Both sets are worn down but I've no complaints about the tires.

Nitto neo gens. I have them on my protege and on my moms car, it won't even trigger the abs in the rain under HARD braking.

They're the only quite tires I've had on the protege so far you really can't hear them at all. The handling is great as well.

Tread wear is only 220 but they're fine on my moms car and she's put about 5k miles on them

Just purchased a set of these...http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...003&autoModel=MazdaSpeed Protege&autoModClar=

I'll let you know how they work out.

bought my car with these on it. they handle well. good steering response could turn them over at the top of 1st on stock boost. they was almost new when i got the car almost a year ago and there getting about 35-40% tread left. but i drive hard as i live in eastern ky and love to drive all the windy back roads around here.

Thanks for the replies so far. I went ahead and picked these Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 215/45ZR17XL from Discount Tire.

mmihz4.ang.jpg

These will go on the MX5 rims and I'll keep a log on rotations, wear & tear etc. Warranty is for 45k and rated Treadwear of 500 so this should last awhile.

Last edited:
Back