Which sub should I get?

lemme recommend something for you. I've been using this company's subs for nearly a decade, and still love them:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Their lines have changed over the years, but they make GREAT equipment. I had their VERY first 10" driver, and I still have the same pair of subs. I've run them dual sealed, dual ported, and more recently single ported. I still refuse to sell the one I'm not using, and through the years of use and abuse they've treaded me EXTREMELY well.

from what you linked, I'd say the e5.10 is the sub for you.

Last edited:
neither company is really known for sub making.. I urge you to reconsider. if you don't wanna go for that I suggest alpine or JL if you insist on more "well known" brands.

also, it looks to me like the 2 subs you linked are FAR from direct competitors...

what are you looking for? clean, smooth bass, or BOOMING s*** in the trunk?

Im looking for a clean and sudden punch, hence why I chose 10 inchers. I heard of good reviews on both eclipse and pioneer premier series. Both are similar in power (eclipse- 700 rms, pioneer- 800 rms)

the pioneer you listed is basically a dedicated SPL sub, and really won't sound good unless you are giving it a s*** ton of power. the eclipse looks like a much more 'reasonable' design.

you may not believe me but I think long run you'd be a lot happier (especially for the money) with the edesigns sub I recommend.

Also, 10" is my favorite sub size, and always will be, so props there.

I dropped 139 dbs running my pair sealed using a JL 250/1 back when I had a corolla sedan. they WILL light up when you ask for it, but the bass is always clean and I really can't say enough good things about them.

back when I was into booming bass, I had guys thinking I was running a pair of 12s at least, and over 1000 watts. the same hardware also did very well in my SQ setup when I was competing that in my S-10 and when I just had it in for DD duties in my intrepid, my isuzu impulse hatch, and in the MSP.

Last edited:
well I have a t 100 tma( made by jl ) monoblock amp. The Pioneer is at two ohms so my amp can give it 750 watts I believe. And the Eclipse is 4 ohm so I can only give it 450

lemme recommend something for you. I've been using this company's subs for nearly a decade, and still love them:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/

Their lines have changed over the years, but they make GREAT equipment. I had their VERY first 10" driver, and I still have the same pair of subs. I've run them dual sealed, dual ported, and more recently single ported. I still refuse to sell the one I'm not using, and through the years of use and abuse they've treaded me EXTREMELY well.

from what you linked, I'd say the e5.10 is the sub for you.

Never tried their subwoofers, but I have a set of ED components in my RSX. They are wonderful.

I bet it's a great sub, but in a plastic box? (ughdance)

Thats Fiber reenforced BOSE plastic to you, Kind sir

might give it enough power to eject the quarters by itself

I already bought a tang band from PE , I wish I had seen this first

someone pinched by basslink, and I am going to try this "hidden" route with a 200 watt rockford amp driving the TB with one channel and a aura tactile transducer on my chair with the other channel

Last edited:
Sonix has a few of these beasts left at a killer price:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18822_Phoenix+Gold+RSdC124+-RSdC+124-.html

I have the dual-2 ohm version and I swap it with my SSA DCON in the same sealed box from time to time. The SSA is a really awesome low-power sub, and one of the most flat and accurate bass drivers you'll ever hear. It was made with sound quality in mind, and delivers in spades. Too many people get turned off by the "300W" label because they don't understand the difference between an SQ sub and an SPL sub.

The Phoenix Gold needs a good bit more juice to wake up (I have to up the gain on my amp when I swap), but one you get it to the same output level as the DCON it hits with more authority, but I don't think it has quite the tonality. It's still a great driver though, and I'd consider it a pretty balanced sub, that has good SQ and can still be used for SPL or just making your heart skip beats.

Just remember the rule of thumb when buying car audio, you get what you pay for!!! I myself am a big JL fan, so I have JL subs and amps and I have never had a problem with them. The JL audio subs don't require a lot of power to make them sounds good so that could save you money on an amp.

Just my .02 cents!!!!!!!!!!

well I have a t 100 tma( made by jl ) monoblock amp. The Pioneer is at two ohms so my amp can give it 750 watts I believe. And the Eclipse is 4 ohm so I can only give it 450

Do you plan on getting just one sub or 2? That makes a difference on the ohm load depending on how you wire them!!!

Guarantee you those ED subs would blow your mind.. another person lost to brand names

Just remember the rule of thumb when buying car audio, you get what you pay for!!! I myself am a big JL fan, so I have JL subs and amps and I have never had a problem with them. The JL audio subs don't require a lot of power to make them sounds good so that could save you money on an amp.

Just my .02 cents!!!!!!!!!!

Finally Someone that understands the rule of thumb! "You get what you pay for"! Here's another thing for all you audio guys to consider, going with an american company! If you plan on building a box yourself an american company will hook you up! I spent a lot of time talking with one of JL's tech's Benjamin Ward and i gave him my measurements of the space i had and told him how i wanted my box and he e-mailed me a complete blue print! Out of all the companies i would say JL and Kicker have the most helpful tech's by far!

Back