Which Performance Summer tires to get?

SKY

:
Mazdaspeed3
I'm in the market to get a new set of summer performance tires to replace my stock Bridgestone RE050A from the Speed3. I narrow my choices to the following...

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
Falken FK-452
Falken RT-615
Continental ExtremeContact DW
Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Size looking for is 225/40/18 and I quoted around, they all within mid $800s CAD to high $800s CAD for the set tax incl, mounted, installed.

Any other tires I missed which is around the same price range and gives better value?

So far, I'm more positive on the RE760 Sport. (rules)

Last edited:
I had nitto invos in a 225/40 on my 18s..Awesome tire...660 out the door. I now have falken 452s on my 19s,good tire for the money.They should be cheaper than the rest you listed though, i got mine for 670 installed out the door.

All those prices you listed seem high, except for re760s

Last edited:
I'm in the market to get a new set of summer performance tires to replace my stock Bridgestone RE050A from the Speed3. I narrow my choices to the following...

Falken FK-452
Falken RT-615
Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Size looking for is 225/40/18 and I quoted around, they all within mid $800s CAD to high $800s CAD for the set tax incl, mounted, installed.

Any other tires I missed which is around the same price range and gives better value?

Falken RT615 is not even in the same league as the others.RT615 should be compared with RE-01 and Direzza Z1

I had dunlop direzzas dz101 before. Reasonable performance, but nothing really to cheer about. So so wet performance, good steering feel, grip could be a little better.

Get the Continental DW's! I have the DWS's and I love them so much! I would imagine the summer version is just as lovely :)

I'd vote for Hankook V12 Evo,have only seen great review about them so far.
Although I just had to buy some 235 General Exclaim UHP(considered as summer performance on tirerack only)cuz the place I get my wheels don't carry Hankook(boom03)

btw I'm from Montreal too,where exactly you are from SKY?

Another option from Hankook

The new Hankook R-S3's are also part of this discussion for me. I am looking at the 615's, Star specs and the R-S3's. They are brand new but getting good reviews thus far. A few guys on the west coast and in the south (nice weater are already using them at the track this season (following threads over on 8club), so I am just waiting for some reviews there before I pull the trigger. I hope someone will post up their impressions within a month or so.

I'd vote for Hankook V12 Evo,have only seen great review about them so far.
Although I just had to buy some 235 General Exclaim UHP(considered as summer performance on tirerack only)cuz the place I get my wheels don't carry Hankook(boom03)

btw I'm from Montreal too,where exactly you are from SKY?
The R-S3's are essentially the next generations for the V12's

Nitto NT555 extreme. I have 225/40/r18 and I think I got them for like 120 bucks a piece through discount tire. They have better grip than stock, last at least two and a half times longer and look pretty decent too. I went through the stock tires in about 4 months and have had the Nittos on all last summer, all winter and they look like they will last at least through the spring if not longer.

Falken FK-452
Falken RT-615
Dunlop Direzza DZ101

are you racing around everywhere? bridgestone re11's are pretty extreme. or it could be Xtreme if your into the x-games and your racing your mazda while drifting through every turn while watching the fast and the furious on your in dash blu ray player.

you can get tires through a mazda dealer and they can sell'em for the same price as tire rack because of the mazda tire program. have you looked into kuhmo tires i sell boat loads of them. goodyear eagle gt's are nice performance tires but don't apply to the above mentioned. right now i see alot of rebates goin on plus the addition of tirerack's stock up and save program. i sell all tires @ 10.00 over my cost where i work. so if the tire cost me 200.00 it would cost you 210.00 and if the tire cost me 1.00 it would cost you 11.00

It will be mainly for DD and at most 1 time at the track if I get a chance....I need something that last me at least 2 summer and able to return with those tires (return to lease in Sept 2011).

RE11 and Z1 is good, but price is my concern.....RE760 cost me high 800s CAD with tax and install....wont able to afford anything more... >_<

Just bought my second set of Dunlop Direzza sport Z1 star spec's for $672.-$50. (rebate from dunlop) total=$622.+ shipping) (size 225/45/18.) Pretty good deal on a great set of tires. I got 20K miles on my first set, not too bad for an extreme performance summer tire with a 200 treadwear rating, that was including 7-8 autocross's...

Dunlop

I'm currently on my second set of Direzza Z1. I love these tires. I drive hard, really hard. I got slightly under 10,000 miles / 10 months out of my first set but they are so worth it. They have great grip and are very progressive tires. The only reason i got new ones was because i had three people in one day point out my tires were bald. And even then the tires still gripped really well. This is the best bang for the buck.
My setup:
- Stock wheel
- 225 45 18
- Stock Springs
- Hotchkis Front and Rear swaybars

Back