Where to buy Rear replacement Struts for the MP3?

Yes and no. They will fit, but they won't perform even close to the stock struts. As previously mentioned in this thread, the Tokico HP (blues) are the best "replacement" struts for the MP3.

Rather then start a new thread, i'll piggy back on this one:

I recently became the owner of an 01 mp3. The suspension "clunks" over potholes and jive, and the rear end is super squeaky. The dealership i purchased it at said the struts needed replacing... is what i have described (admittedly very poorly) the symptoms of worn struts?

Im not new to car stuff, but when it comes to suspensions, unless we are talking bout big ol wheeling trucks im clueless. Thanks guys!

Nope, that doesn't sound like blown struts. That's the infamous clunk of the rear MP3 & MSP swaybar. Get urethane replacement bushings and lube them up with Energy suspension grease. The clunking and squeaking should go away after that.

yeah, after i posted i read a bit about that... it certainly explains the squeaky noise in back, but i could swear its a clunking from all 4 corners. Could my ears just be playing tricks on me?

also, since now im curious, what are the symptoms of worn out struts?

Usually pretty harsh ride, definitely clunking over speed bumps.. if it's really bad you can hear the piston bottom out over bigger bumps, and oily residue around the lower spring seat and around the base of the piston. And the corner(s) where the strut is blown can sag a bit lower if it's really blown and the piston is unable to extend all the way out.

Those were at least the symptoms of the blown stock struts I had on my old P5. The only real way to find out is to take the strut out and see if it the piston compresses and decompresses by itself all the way when you push down on it.

Last edited:
It could also be a few different things... So far, I've replaced the stock bushings with the axr clunk fix kit, replaced front and rear endlinks and I still get noise... Next up will be replacing the struts... Maybe that will fix it..

For the clunks, start looking at other bushings. I get big clunks from the front end, and I know that's because my LCA bushings are beyond finished. I'll be replacing those with new LCAs and Pedder bushings pressed in. I also get clunks from the rear and I'm almost positive it is from dead bushings on my lateral arms. Those are getting replaced in the spring with Megan Racing adjustables. That will complete replacing every piece of rubber on the car related to suspension other then the front strut mounts, which may very well get replaced next year. I haven't decided yet.

ima just put my 2 cent in cause im new on here but dont ever go with monroe struts put it in the shop bout a year ago i thought they would put the tokico blues in but they put monroes in and charged me 110 a piece for them if i hit a big dip or something the tires bottom out in the wheel well for the ass end and if i take a hard turn i can feel the ass end start to come around so not sure about kyb gr2s but monroe is a big no no

ima just put my 2 cent in cause im new on here but dont ever go with monroe struts put it in the shop bout a year ago i thought they would put the tokico blues in but they put monroes in and charged me 110 a piece for them if i hit a big dip or something the tires bottom out in the wheel well for the ass end and if i take a hard turn i can feel the ass end start to come around so not sure about kyb gr2s but monroe is a big no no

Thanks for the tip!

Back